No announcement yet.

After everything, we're only 4 games out; Thoughts on the pivotal week ahead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After everything, we're only 4 games out; Thoughts on the pivotal week ahead

4 game set with Atlanta.

Milwaukee and Chicago meet for a big 4 gamer in Milwaukee.

Milwaukee lost today; Chicago outscored Florida (who had a 5-0 lead early) 9 to 1 from the third inning on.

Carpenter to oppose Atlanta on Wednesday, and although I'm not expecting too much, this is a good sign for our club for the final 2 months.

All said, we're not bad off, folks?

Share your thoughts.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

The week BEHIND was pivotal, and we got our asses whipped.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Ryan Franklin says the bullpen is doing great, so that's enough for me.
      Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
        The week BEHIND was pivotal, and we got our asses whipped.
        The week behind was pivotal, too!

We lost 6 of 7 and only 2 games in the standings. With the pairing of Chicago vs. Milwaukee, Carp's return, I'd argue that the upcoming week is more pivotal than last.

That isn't to say every game isn't, particularly those against central division foes.

Still, all that and we only trail by 4.
        "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Given my expectations for the year I'm not that disappointed.

We've had some fun.

Just glad I'm not one of the guys that has to decide to sell or buy now. I'd be inclined to keep going young. Move some pending FA's and any young players that don't appear to have a future with the Cards. I can't imagine that their value will be any higher than right before a trading deadline.
          Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

Another reason I continue to believe we have one helluva shot if we're close come September: Has anyone bothered to look ahead at Chicago's schedule? Brutal. Milwaukee's? Less so. Cardinals? Easiest of the three.

This may bode well for us in the end.

Comment

The schedule over the next two weeks is brutal for the Cards, when compared to the other two teams.

The Cubs are playing at Milwaukee the next four days, then they come home for nine home games. Three each with Pittsburgh, Houston, and the Cards one the weekend of Aug 8-10.

The Brewers after playing the Cubs at home for four, go to Atlanta and Cincinnati for three each and play at hiome against the Redskins on the weekend of Aug 8-10.

The Card go to Atlanta for four game, then home for six against Philadelphia and the Dodgers, then in Chicago.

If the Cards are five games out, or less by Sunday Aug 10, it will be a very interesting final six weeks.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Yeah, you're pretty late...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Is Pujols about to go on a tear?

Who are the starting pitchers for the next ten games?

What will be the balance between pitchers and non-pitchers?

Is there anybody who can be added to the bench who would matter?

I am going to attempt to name the ? pitchers now on the roster. Who will not be there on August 10th? 2,3,4 of them?

1. Boggs(7.41) 2.Jimenez(4.50) 3.Thompson(3.92) 4.McClellan(2.84) 5 Isringhausen(5.84) 6. Looper(4.49) 7. Wellemeyer(4.19) 8.Springer(1.89) 9.Pineiro(4.79) 10.Flores(4.76) 11.Franklin (3.96)12. Villone(5.11) 13. Lohse(3.68) 14. Carpenter( -)15. Wainright(3.14)
                  kjoe
                  Last edited by kjoe; 07-27-2008, 07:40 PM.
                  v

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                    The Brewers after playing the Cubs at home for four, go to Atlanta and Cincinnati for three each and play at hiome against the Redskins on the weekend of Aug 8-10.
                    Somebody notify CSD. Football!!!
                    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by kjoe View Post
                      Is Pujols about to go on a tear?

Who are the starting pitchers for the next ten games?

What will be the balance between pitchers and non-pitchers?

Is there anybody who can be added to the bench who would matter?

I am going to attempt to name the ? pitchers now on the roster. Who will not be there on August 10th? 2,3,4 of them?

1. Boggs 2.Jimeniez Thompson 4.McClellan 5 Isringhausen 6. Looper 7. Wellemeyer 8.Springer 9.Pineiro 10.Flores 11.Franklin 12. Villone 13. Lohse 14. Carpenter 15. Wainright
                      Wainwright and Boggs are not on the 24 man roster.
                      Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

dead in the water.
                        Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze View Post
                          Wainwright and Boggs are not on the 24 man roster.
                          Did Boggs get dropped after today's game? Do you expect Wainright to be there by August 10th?

I cannot remember a Cardinal pitching staff harder to keep track of than this one.
                          v

Comment

Pitchers on the active roster right now are Lohse, Wellemeyer, Pineiro, Looper, Boggs, Villone, Flores, Thompson, Jimenez, McClellan, Springer, Isringhausen and Franklin. Wednesday, Boggs will be demoted to AAA and Carpenter activated from the DL.

Comment

The tone of this thread is too negative. Fuck you guys. I say we're in 1st place 2 weeks from today. I don't know how it's gonna happen, but it will. The Cards are about to embark on an epic teabag of the NL Central. Many many Cubs and Brewers fans' hearts will be pulverized.
                              Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
                              R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

Working...
                              X