Stewart expects fine from USAC for role in 'altercation'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stewart expects fine from USAC for role in 'altercation'

INDIANAPOLIS -- Two-time Sprint Cup champion Tony Stewart expects to be fined by USAC for an "altercation" with an official during Thursday night's race at O'Reilly Raceway Park.
    The incident occurred after points leader Tracy Hines, who drives for one of Stewart's two midget teams, got into the wall and there wasn't a track official or push truck present to help get the car back in the race.

Hines' crew reportedly attempted to change a right rear flat and get him back into the race before another restart. As they pushed the car to the front of the straightaway, a USAC official indicated they were too late.

Stewart then came down to pit lane to get an explanation for the call. He reportedly knocked the headset from the official's head and then shoved him.

"We had an altercation," Stewart said Friday after unveiling the car number (14) and sponsors (Office Depot and Old Spice) he'll showcase for Stewart-Haas Racing next season. "It was a situation [where] we didn't understand a call they made."

USAC did not immediately return a call seeking comment.

Stewart said the incident ultimately could cost Hines, who finished 22nd, the USAC crown. He also admitted if he had to do it over again he wouldn't have confronted the official.

"When you're sitting there and you've got your corporate sponsors there and you've got a car on the racetrack and it's sitting on pit lane and they can't get a push truck to it, you're supporting your guys and your team that worked on that car to get it back out," he said.

"There was definitely a disagreement. We talked about it after it happened and after the race was over. It got their eyes open and they're doing everything they can to make sure incidents like that don't happen again."
    Link
    I like it when players, and in this case "owners" get fired up and express feelings, but I think one day Tony is gonna get in trouble.
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

What's going to happen is that one of these days, Tony's going to run into a reporter or official who doesn't give a shit who he is and knock him on his ass. I dealt with him on Wednesday briefly when I was helping Schrader put on his show at I-55. He was in a pretty good mood then. I have nothing but the utmost respect for what he does on the track and for the passion he has for the sport, but unless you're dealing with a driver who tried to kill you on the track, there's never a reason to put your hands one anyone, especially officials. Some of the media have it coming, but the officials should never be touched.
    The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by skippy05 View Post
      What's going to happen is that one of these days, Tony's going to run into a reporter or official who doesn't give a shit who he is and knock him on his ass. I dealt with him on Wednesday briefly when I was helping Schrader put on his show at I-55. He was in a pretty good mood then. I have nothing but the utmost respect for what he does on the track and for the passion he has for the sport, but unless you're dealing with a driver who tried to kill you on the track, there's never a reason to put your hands one anyone, especially officials. Some of the media have it coming, but the officials should never be touched.
      How'd that go Skip? I like going to Pevely, but I figured it would be nutso there with all those guys.
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
        How'd that go Skip? I like going to Pevely, but I figured it would be nutso there with all those guys.
        Actually, there were a lot of empty seats. The weather issues have scared a lot of people away. The POWRi midget series was awesome (Stewart ran that as well) and Blaney won the NASCAR class. Lot of fun.
        The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by skippy05 View Post
          I have nothing but the utmost respect for what he does on the track and for the passion he has for the sport, but unless you're dealing with a driver who tried to kill you on the track, there's never a reason to put your hands one anyone
          Date much?
          From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Working...
          X