X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs fan Steve Bartman offered $25K for just one autograph

Cubs fan Steve Bartman offered $25K for just one autograph
    By 'Duk

Sportsbuy.com and the National Sports Collectors Convention sure have devised a way to get a lot of marketing without ever having to pay a dime.
    As you might have read on Deadspin, they're offering infamous Cubs fan Steve Bartman a cool $25,000 if he shows up to their memorabilia show in suburban Chicago and signs just one picture of him destroying the World Series dreams of Cubs fans everywhere getting tangled up with Moises Alou in Game 6 of the '03 NLCS.

From the Orlando Sentinel:

To collect the cash, all Bartman has to do is show up at the Donald E. Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, Ill., at 1 p.m. on July 31, prove his identity and sign a photograph of the infamous play. It will then be auctioned on the Web site with the proceeds going to a Chicago-based charity, according to a news release for the publicity stunt event.
    "No one in sports memorabilia history has ever been paid $25,000 to sign one autograph — not Michael Jordan, Muhammad Ali, Joe DiMaggio, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, or any other athlete,” said Mike Berkus, co-Executive Director of The National. "Steve Bartman has been a recluse for years, but we’re hopeful that he will accept our invitation and generous offer to appear ... We have personal security to provide to Steve at The National and to a destination of his choosing.”

It's an ingenious marketing plan, really, because I'm sure the organizers know they're dealing with probably the only man on Earth who wouldn't simply sign his name and then collect $25K. In the almost five years since his name became synonymous with the Billy Goat curse, Bartman has turned down every single interview request that has come his way and no doubt also said no to numerous book-TV-movie deals that were worth much, much more than what a bunch of baseball card dealers are offering here.
    What's worth noting, though, is just how much attention just the mention of Bartman's name in a press release can draw. Can you imagine what it'd be like if he actually showed up for one of these stunts?
    Photobucket

We have personal security to provide to Steve at The National and to a destination of his choosing.”

"Thanks. I'll take the Fiji Islands."

Comment

i feel sorry for him, must be hell with all these loons after you

Comment

He needs to be a little careful, in the Law and Order episode he gets killed.......

Comment

Maybe he could use the money for a downpayment on a foreclosed property in Florida and get a job down there. Who knows. My advice to Steve... Sell Out! The damage was done in 1908, it's not your fault.
          25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
          Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
            Maybe he could use the money for a downpayment on a foreclosed property in Florida and get a job down there. Who knows. My advice to Steve... Sell Out! The damage was done in 1908, it's not your fault.
            damn straight. I'd be cashing in before the Cubs finally win a World Series and he becomes the real Mr. Irrelevant.
            Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
              damn straight. I'd be cashing in before the Cubs finally win a World Series and he becomes the real Mr. Irrelevant.
              Shit - then he could use the $25k for season tickets and some bitchen new head phones after the curse is broken.
              25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
              Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

The way I see it -

They should ask the shortstop to sign the booted balls.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

him destroying the World Series dreams of Cubs fans everywhere getting tangled up with Moises Alou
                  its funny how things get remembered
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Shula View Post
                    its funny how things get remembered
                    I thought he jumped onto the field, kicked him the crotch, grabbed the ball and chucked it into the stands... no?

Comment

I would do it in a heartbeat.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                        I would do it in a heartbeat.
                        I might check my life insurance policy first, but I would do it too.

Comment

Working...
                        X