Carpentry question about doors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carpentry question about doors

We installed new carpet through the whole house yesterday. Yeah! It looks great, but there is one problem. In the rooms where there was no carpeting, the doors drag too much to move. The illegals who installed the carpeting said they did not fix doors, so I get to do it. Luckily, there are only 4 doors.

All of the doors are hollow. I need to take about a 1/4 off the bottom. I don't have a planer of any type, power or hand. Can I cut the bottom of the door with my circular saw? I think I have a finishing blade, but even that will splinter the wood a little. Has anybody done this before?

As always, advice is appreciated, and ridicule is expected.

Get a Mac.
    Official sponsor of indifference towards basketball...hockey has grown on me.
    Official sponsor of Buster Posey...'nuff said.
    Official sponsor of James Laurinaitis
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live - too rare to die."

Comment

raise the ceilings a quarter inch
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

There should be enough wood at the base of the door to use a plane to take some of the door off.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrito Brother View Post
          There should be enough wood at the base of the door to use a plane to take some of the door off.
          Can I use a circular saw instead? I don't have a plane.

Comment

Run masking tape around door first, will stop most if not all splintering.

Sometimes when you cut the bottom you will actually remove above the core that is holding the 2 faces apart.

If that happens, just glue the core back in place.

Comment

If you have a jigsaw you can use that also.

They don't cut as straight as a circular saw, so I would clamp a straight edge (level, 1x4, etc) for the edge of the saw to run against.

Use a fine blade.

This will splinter less, but slower.....

Comment

Great advice. Thanks!

I was going to cut through the surface with a utility knife first, then tape it. I couldn't cut straight with a jigsaw to save my soul. I'll try the door that has doggie damage first, then buy a jack plane and a new door if I fail.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                  Can I use a circular saw instead? I don't have a plane.
                  Will a helicopter do? MarkD has one!
                  Official Lounge Sponsor:
                  The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Originally posted by mmwtdh View Post
                    If you have a jigsaw you can use that also.

They don't cut as straight as a circular saw, so I would clamp a straight edge (level, 1x4, etc) for the edge of the saw to run against.

Use a fine blade.

This will splinter less, but slower.....
                    There you go.

Comment

Cutting with a knife first is a good idea....

Comment

I had to cut the bottom 1/4" off of our laundry room door a few months ago when we had it tiled. I used my circular saw with a DeWalt Precision carbide tipped blade for the job, and it worked perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by wildhorse View Post
                          I had to cut the bottom 1/4" off of our laundry room door a few months ago when we had it tiled. I used my circular saw with a DeWalt Precision carbide tipped blade for the job, and it worked perfectly.
                          Cool. At least I know it is possible for a good carpenter. I might be in trouble though.

Comment

Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                            -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Rent a planer and do what BB said.

Comment

Working...
                              X