Reopen the debate: Wainwright to the pen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reopen the debate: Wainwright to the pen

Every time we blow another game, the more I think this makes sense.

Let's say Carp is effective. You've got Carp, Lohse, Pineiro, Wellemeyer, Looper/Garcia/Thompson/Boggs/Miles as the rotation. Guys who can keep you in ballgames.

If Wainwright is the closer, Franklin can go back to being set-up man, if his arm's not tired (I think it is.) McClellan and Springer can either set-up or pitch 6th, 7th. Flores, Villone and our new stud LOOGY can handle the Ken Griffey Jr.'s of the world. Thompson and Villone can mop-up. Izzy can either be cut or used in middle innings. (He's actually effective. Just don't give him a lead to protect.)

Hey, it's worth a shot. It worked before.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

no
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I wonder what is the bigger value to a team - a solid starter or a solid closer?

I go with the starter.

Comment

If they don't make a deal to upgrade the BP, then why not?
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

No. I'd rather see Wellemeyer close, which actually seems like a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
            No. I'd rather see Wellemeyer close, which actually seems like a good idea.
            Wellemeyer does NOT want to go the BP.

Comment

I have a bad feeling about Wainwright. I hope I'm wrong, but my gut tells me this finger injury is going to cost him this season.
              RIP Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                Jason Marquis didn't either...tough

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Wains does?

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                    I wonder what is the bigger value to a team - a solid starter or a solid closer?

I go with the starter.
                    I generally agree. But none of the starters are going to have value if the bullpen is going to blow the game.
                    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

If they don't make a deal to upgrade the BP, then why not?
                      Assuming the stars magically align by August 15 and Carpenter and Wainwright are back...

Carpenter
                      Wainwright
                      Lohse
                      Pineiro
                      Looper

Thompson
                      Villone
                      McClellan
                      Flores
                      Springer
                      Franklin
                      Wellemeyer

That's 12 pitchers. Assume we trade for somebody, add that person to get 13. Do whatever with Izzy.

Comment

If any starter should go to the pen, Carpenter should go.

He's coming off an injury, and when Wainwright comes back, Waino will slid into the empty slot in the rotation.

When the playoffs come around, you can put stretch Carpenter out and put him back in the rotation.

Comment

We can also have the bullpen by committee start each game. They pitch three innings, then we bring in the starters to beging the fourth.

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                            Wains does?
                            Good question. Not sure. Both Looper and Wellemeyer have said they're not interested, and if they're not interested, my guess is that they wouldn't be too good in that role. Maybe Wainwright is a team guy who thinks he can help them win.
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                              Good question. Not sure. Both Looper and Wellemeyer have said they're not interested, and if they're not interested, my guess is that they wouldn't be too good in that role. Maybe Wainwright is a team guy who thinks he can help them win.
                              yeah, no. no nononoono. if they move him to the pen, I will be spitting nails. I know no one wants to go to the pen, but they make big bucks. they can handle it. and plus, aren't welle and looper throwing a ton of innigns more than in other years?

Comment

Working...
                              X