Pick your LOOGY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick your LOOGY

Collect 'em all!! Add to the collection!

Arthur Rhodes?
    Jack Taschner?
    Will Ohman?
    Alan Embree?
    Ron Mahay?
    Brian Fuentes?

Within reason, of course...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Add two more:

George Sherrill?
    Eddie Guardado?

The Cardinals' pursuit of a lefthanded reliever to fortify their bullpen has intensified as the club has expressed interest in Baltimore closer George Sherrill, sources said. Sherrill, an All-Star who has 29 saves and a 3.89 ERA for the Orioles, has drawn increased attention from several teams, including the Milwaukee Brewers. The Cardinals have declined to discuss specific candidates. They have said lefthanded relief is one area they are looking to improve before the non-waiver trade deadline. Another possibility is Texas lefty reliever Eddie Guardado. The Rangers have interest in Class AA starter Jess Todd.

Comment

Where did that come from?

I can't imagine we would even come close to the asking price for Sherril.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Derrick Goooooooooooooold

Comment

If we trade Jess Todd for Guardado of all people...yikes.

Comment

One thing for certain, this group they currently have are collectively killing this team's chances for post season. They're probably going to have to move a Jess Todd in order to get some much needed help in the BP.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Another possibility is Texas lefty reliever Eddie Guardado. The Rangers have interest in Class AA starter Jess Todd.
              F that.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
                If we trade Jess Todd for Guardado of all people...yikes.
                butz THEY HAS TO MAKE A MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!! ANY [email protected]#$!$!GFJUANSTILLCANTSEEBUTCANhePItCH!?!$!%(
                Official Lounge Sponsor
                Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Something tells me if the Rangers have interest in Jess Todd, the deal would be a bit broader in scope than just those two parties -- I would hope

Comment

If you're unwilling to trade what many has built as a "future so bright, we have to wear shades", then maybe TLR and DD need to consider making McClellan the closer, or either put Wainwright back into that slot.

From the tone of the broadcasts, neither Looper or Wellemeyer has any desire to go back to the BP.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                      Something tells me if the Rangers have interest in Jess Todd, the deal would be a bit broader in scope than just those two parties -- I would hope
                      I think you're right.

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post

Why is everyone so high on this guy?

Someone called into The Morning After this morning saying "Well, I saw him strike out David Wright on 3 pitches so he's gotta be great!" or something like that.

Dude's blown 4 out of his last 11 save opportunities and 3 of the last 6. He's gotten creamed since the last few days of June so I don't want him closing games. He's nothing special. And we aren't going to be bringing him in to close games which means you are going to have to trade more because of his closer status for a guy you aren't going to use in that role. Dumb.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor
                        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post

Someone called into The Morning After this morning saying "Well, I saw him strike out David Wright on 3 pitches so he's gotta be great!" or something like that.

Dude's blown 4 out of his last 11 save opportunities and 3 of the last 6. He's gotten creamed since the last few days of June so I don't want him closing games. He's nothing special. And we aren't going to be bringing him in to close games which means you are going to have to trade more because of his closer status for a guy you aren't going to use in that role. Dumb.
                          You referring to Sherrill? He seems like a one-year wonder to me, but if his one-year is this year...

Comment

Originally posted by StlCardz1982 View Post

Hey man,

We're seeing the Cards BP blow up on a continual basis. They have to do something.

Comment

Here's a feel good story from Olney yesterday...makes you want to grab a hanky...

George Sherrill once worked at a baseball facility in Memphis, but didn't like it because he had to watch somebody else play the game he loves. He hated the weeks he spent working for UPS in Nashville in the winter of 1999-2000, with the conveyor belt dropping boxes against his shins as he struggled to keep up. "It was the Christmas rush," he recalled the other day. "I kept stacking them in the truck the wrong way."

So he quit, because even though Sherrill wasn't drafted out of Austin Peay and his first job in pro ball was in an independent league, his focus coming out of college was always on playing baseball, on preparing to play baseball. Through all of the twists and turns of his strange journey to the big leagues, Sherrill never thought about quitting, never thought about concentrating on a conventional job, like filling the back of a truck for UPS. He simply didn't envision his life without baseball, of a time being away from the sport, or a team. "I love the game so much," Sherrill said.

He was 26 years old before a Major League Baseball organization signed him, made his major-league debut at age 27, and at age 31, the Orioles left-hander found himself on the field at Yankee Stadium, as an American League All-Star.

"It was a blast," Sherrill said.

Paul Molitor, one of the Hall of Famers who took part in the pregame festivities at Yankee Stadium prior to the All-Star Game on July 15 and formerly a member of the Seattle organization, stepped out from his spot on the field to get Sherrill's attention and chat. Eddie Murray, among those Hall of Famers standing at first base, tipped his cap to Sherrill. The pitcher had never met Cal Ripken Jr. before, but as Sherrill headed to the autograph room, he bumped into the Ironman, and Ripken asked him to step into the tunnel to meet Ripken's family.

He kept his name plate from his locker at the All-Star Game, got a bat signed by most of the All-Stars, and asked for his chair; because the All-Star Game clubhouse chairs are going to be sold for a charity, Sherrill was told that he would get another, custom-made. Heady stuff for a pitcher whose pro career began with the Evansville Otters.

He will be in the news a lot during the next 10 days, with the trade deadline looming. Sherrill has 29 saves and has dominated left-handed hitters, and because Sherrill won't be eligible for free agency until after the 2011 season, rival general managers believe his market value won't be higher than it is right now. The Orioles are in the process of gauging what the return would be for him, if they elect to trade him.

Sherrill, a set-up man in Seattle, enjoys closing and enjoys pitching for the Orioles, and wants to stay. But if he gets traded, he mused, it presumably would be to a contender, and that would be great, too -- all part of Sherrill's extraordinary experience in baseball.

Comment

Working...
                              X