Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (W) Padres(Baeh) vs Cardinals(Garcis) 1:15PW CDT

Is a sweep in the Cards????

The St. Louis Cardinals have stayed close in the NL Central this season behind a patchwork pitching staff that has filled in admirably for a banged-up group of starters.
    Jaime Garcia will be the latest stopgap, as the rookie left-hander makes his first major league start on Sunday, seeking to pitch the host Cardinals to a four-game sweep of the reeling San Diego Padres.
    St. Louis’ close pursuit of the Chicago Cubs has been particularly impressive considering that Chris Carpenter hasn’t thrown a pitch this season after elbow surgery and Adam Wainwright has been out since June 7 with a finger problem.
    Left-hander Mark Mulder finally made his first start after shoulder surgery on July 9, but he recorded only one out before feeling more pain. To replace Mulder, the Cardinals (56-43) recalled Garcia, a 22-year-old who was drafted in the 22nd round of the 2005 draft.
    Series at a Glance

1. San Diego 3
      St. Louis 4
      Thu, Jul 17 - Final
    2. San Diego 7
      St. Louis 11
      Fri, Jul 18 - Final
    3. San Diego 5
      St. Louis 6
      Sat, Jul 19 - Final
    4. San Diego at
      St. Louis
      Sun, Jul 20 - 2:15 pm ET

Garcia (0-0, 0.00 ERA) has developed into one of St. Louis’ top pitching prospects, but he has battled inconsistency at Triple-A Memphis. After starting the year with a 2.06 ERA in six starts for Double-A Springfield, he was 4-4 with a 4.59 ERA in 12 starts for Memphis.
    The southpaw, who will become the 10th Cardinal to start a game this year, threw two shutout innings in relief at Pittsburgh in his major league debut on July 11, walking one and allowing one hit.
    “He really wasn’t throwing that well when he came up, but he’s had good progress through the organization, and it’s a good chance for him to get his feet wet,” St. Louis manager Tony La Russa told his team’s official Web site. “Based on when I saw him pitch, I think he’s going to go out there and let it go.”
    He’ll try to help the Cardinals to their fifth straight win—something they haven’t done since the first week of the season. They trailed 5-0 against the Padres after two innings Saturday, but rallied for a 6-5 win behind four RBIs by Albert Pujols.
    St. Louis has scored 43 runs in its last five games, including 11 three times. Pujols is 10-for-21 over that span, while Ryan Ludwick and Rick Ankiel are each 9-for-18 with a combined five homers and 14 RBIs.
    “Albert’s having a great year,” La Russa said. “You just watch what he gets to hit every day and you’ll understand why he gets his base hits but some of the other production drops off.”
    A win Sunday would give the Cardinals their first four-game sweep of the Padres (37-61) since July 1990, though this is only the sixth four-game set between the teams since then.
    San Diego has won just once in six meetings with the Cardinals this season, and it hasn’t been winning much more often than that against any team over the last month. The Padres have now lost five straight and 22 of their last 28. They are 29th in the majors with 365 runs.
    “You’ve just got to keep pushing,” Padres manager Bud Black told his team’s official Web site. “To a man, our guys are playing hard, breaking up double plays, hustling. We’re going out to win games.”
    Cha Seung Baek (2-5, 5.25) will face the Cardinals for the first time after he was traded to San Diego from Seattle earlier this season. The right-hander is 1-3 with a 6.08 ERA and .304 opponent batting average in his last five appearances.
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Go get em!!!
    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Interesting little nugget within the final two passages of the Cardinals Insider by Joe Strauss today...

A year ago Isringhausen said he would refuse to waive his no-trade protection if the club sought to move him during a lost season. On Friday, he allowed such a door to remain ajar. The Atlanta Braves are believed in search of a closer.

"It's difficult for me to say anything about that unless they put something in front of me," Isringhausen said. "So far, that hasn't happened."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

The Atlanta Braves are believed in search of a closer.
        So why would they want Izzy?

Comment

no Pujols, no Molina, AK and duncan are in the game. Good luck with that, Dave.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
            HY-may probably could be audibly heard screaming right...aboot....now

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I think we'll see Albert play this afternoon.
              I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

I agree. Tony said he's not starting.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

That GOD I had the good seats yesterday and not today...I only had to see duncan stick his ugly mug outta the dugout once and then again when they sent him up to PH...And no, I did not take his pic. I was afraid if he saw the camera he'd try to hump something
                  Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Glad to see dav start the thread. Two trends we need to reverse here.

1 -- The Cards so far this year have been in position to sweep a team seven times (a few of those were during all of those 2-game series in the early part of the year). Of the seven chances to get a sweep, we've only managed one (Washington in the second series of the year).

2 -- We are 0-5 in the fourth games of series.

About time to right both trends.

Go get 'em Dunc.
                    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

Padres win the fucking game.

Comment

Who is Garcis?
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott
                        Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                        5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                          Who is Garcis?
                          Or Baeh?
                          Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                            Or Baeh?
                            Baeh is actually on the roster where Garcis is not.
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

I dunno who "Baeh" is or if he's on the roster or not, but a pitcher named "BaeK" is starting for the Padres.
                              Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Working...
                              X