Need A Book

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need A Book

I'm about to be on plane for about 14 hours and need a couple of good page-turning kind of books to read. No biographies or historical accounts wanted.

Mystery, intrigue, spy novels, etc. is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
    I'm about to be on plane for about 14 hours and need a couple of good page-turning kind of books to read. No biographies or historical accounts wanted.

Mystery, intrigue, spy novels, etc. is what I'm looking for. Any suggestions?
    There's a thread for this, Helen Keller.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
      There's a thread for this, Helen Keller.

Moon
      Yeah, but if I put my question there, no one would respond -- it's such an old thread.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Try the spy/intrigue novels by Alan Furst all set in Europe just before WWII.

There are a number of titles -- The Polish Officer, The World at Night, Kingdom of Shadows, Dark Star, The Foreign Correspondent, and more -- so if you like them, they will get you there and back.
        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Koran.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
            Try the spy/intrigue novels by Alan Furst all set in Europe just before WWII.

There are a number of titles -- The Polish Officer, The World at Night, Kingdom of Shadows, Dark Star, The Foreign Correspondent, and more -- so if you like them, they will get you there and back.
            Is there an order to them? In other words, is it the same character who progresses through the various books?

Comment

Graham Greene's "The End Of The Affair" is easy reading. I read the whole novel in 6 hours. Greene wrote great decective novels, but this isn't one of them. It is his best work, and sort of a mystery.

Nabokov's "Lolita" is so beautifully written, it's impossible to read it slowly.

Anything by John Steinbeck is an easy read, though you probably would hate "Grapes of Wrath" because it's too liberal.

Ayn Rand's "masterpieces" would kill 14 hours.

Sorry, I didn't catch what you were looking for. There are just the books I enjoyed most.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                Graham Greene's "The End Of The Affair" is easy reading. I read the whole novel in 6 hours. Greene wrote great decective novels, but this isn't one of them. It is his best work, and sort of a mystery.

Nabokov's "Lolita" is so beautifully written, it's impossible to read it slowly.

Anything by John Steinbeck is an easy read, though you probably would hate "Grapes of Wrath" because it's too liberal.

Ayn Rand's "masterpieces" would kill 14 hours.

Sorry, I didn't catch what you were looking for. There are just the books I enjoyed most.
                If I couldn't take liberal writing, I wouldn't frequent this place so much. Thanks for the suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                  Koran.
                  And to think that I actually provided a useful response to your BBQ inquiry.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                    Koran.

But, it's only good if you read it aloud on the plane....in Arabic.
                    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

not sure what you think of scifi, but Ender's Game is always the first book I recommend to anyone. It's good.

Comment

And to think that I actually provided a useful response to your BBQ inquiry.

I'm in one of those moods. Sorry.

River of Doubt. Good story on TR's trip in Brazil.

Comment

FAR: I have a writer friend named Laura Lippman, who has written a series of mystery novels set in Baltimore, to pretty good reviews. The main character is named Tess Monahan, or something like that. The first one, I think, was Baltimore Blues, but there have been a dozen or so written since. You might give her a shot.

And have a great trip. Tell that boy to make them forget Ichiro.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

Is there an order to them? In other words, is it the same character who progresses through the various books?
                            In general no, the characters are different people caught up in the happenings prior to the war, although the main character in one may appear as a minor character in another.

The only two which are directly linked are The World at Night and Red Gold, with Red Gold being the sequel.

I happened to read the Foreign Correspondent first, but the actual publication order is Night Soldiers, Dark Star, The Polish Officer, The World at Night, Red Gold, Kingdom of Shadows, Blood of Victory, Dark Voyage, The Foreign Correspondent, Spies of Warsaw.
                            From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

P.S. I'm reading. and enjoying, "Generation Kill," about a group of Marines who first entered Baghdad. It's the inspiration for the new HBO series. It's not as grim as it sounds. OK, there are certainly grim moments, but you really get a sense of a Marine's life, which I've always found pretty fascinating. Easy read, too.
                              "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                              --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
                              X