X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago......

Alright, its official.

Headed up for the Aug 9th Cards game.

Will be staying for a few days after. Was wondering a few things....

Where is a good hotel to stay that woould allow me to jump on train to get to wrigley very easily.......

What other things should I plan to see or do? I am basically clueless about that city. Never really been there.

Navy Pier,
    Sears Tower/hancock
    Millenuim park?
    shed Aquarium?
    Anyone beeen to taste or chicago - not sure the dates on that
    Natural history museum - not sure the exact name

I am looking for any type of activity there or things to NOT do....

Again, any help with a hotel or any advice on traveling around the city. My main goal is the cards game and the rest is just fun stuff. I assume everything is accessible by train - which I hope is walking distance from hotel? I will be driving up but basically leaving the car at hotel since I dont want to drive there.

Thanks for any inforamtion you can give me, and I promise this is my last Chitown thread!
    Official Sponsor of Jim Edmonds & John Smoltz

Stay in the Allegro (thanks Backstop). Get some Giordano's. See Wicked.

Comment

Hotels: Anything near the brown or red line will get you to Wrigley, and that's pretty much anything downtown. I think I said this before, but I'd use Priceline. If you grab anything in the Loop/River North/Michigan Ave. area, you'll be walking distance to a train that will get you up there.

As for the other stuff...don't waste your time at Navy Pier. I like the aquarium a lot. Taste of Chicago is done for the year. The Museum of Science & Industry is down in Hyde Park, which is a haul. But the Field Museum is excellent, and shares the museum campus with Shedd, the planetarium, and Soldier Field. You can walk there from downtown, but it's a bit of a trek. The Art Institute is also good, if you're into that. It's right by Millenium Park, which is probably worth a look.

Beware of parking at the hotel. It can be really expensive ($30-$40/day), though I'm not sure there's a great alternative, unless you park outside the city and take the Metra in or something. Seriously, if you're just planning on driving and parking downtown, I'd look into Amtrak. The rates vary, but you could end up saving a boatload of money.
      backstop
      Last edited by backstop; 07-14-2008, 02:23 PM.

Comment

I wouldn't do Navy Pier.

Your time would be better served just walking along the Lake in the Oak St. to North Ave. Beach area.
        Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          Stay in the Allegro (thanks Backstop). Get some Giordano's. See Wicked.
          Plenty of other good hotels. Malnati's is better than Giordano's. Proud to say I haven't seen Wicked.

Comment

Yeah. What he said.
            Of course you do.

Comment

backstop,

I don't think we ever settled this - are they still doing any of the morning-of tickets at Wrigley or did that end whenever the Cubs opened up the "5 star tickets" ticket broker across the street?
              Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                Beware of parking at the hotel. It can be really expensive ($30-$40/day), though I'm not sure there's a great alternative, unless you park outside the city and take the Metra in or something. Seriously, if you're just planning on driving and parking downtown, I'd look into Amtrak. The rates vary, but you could end up saving a boatload of money.
                A few of us learned this lesson the hard way back in 97.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                  backstop,

I don't think we ever settled this - are they still doing any of the morning-of tickets at Wrigley or did that end whenever the Cubs opened up the "5 star tickets" ticket broker across the street?
                  No idea.

Comment

Hold on. When is the Airshow? Isn't it around that weekend?
                    Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                      Hold on. When is the Airshow? Isn't it around that weekend?
                      It's the following weekend.

Comment

If you're looking for a pretty cool place to eat, I really enjoyed Heaven on Seven (600 N. Michigan Ave.). The crawfish etoufee' was incredible.
                        Johnny H
                        Last edited by Johnny H; 07-14-2008, 02:18 PM.
                        Official Lounge Sponsor:
                        The New Orleans Saints, Blue Moon Belgian Ale, Peter Gammons, and Cardinals GM John Mozeliak

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post

I was up there in the spring at the Hyatt on Wacker a couple blocks north of Millenium park. The Hyatt had $40 a day parking, but the concierge suggested using the Millenium Park garage. It was ~$18 a day and was easy enough to use if you are anywhere around that area.

Field Museum is awesome. Milleneum park is worth a look if you are wondering around near there. Art Institute is right next to Millenium park and is awesome.

Buses are easy to use around town. They run a lot more often and are used by everyone there.

If you are from St. Louis, get the idea of 'free' attractions out of your head though.

As mentioned, skip Navy Pier. Just a bunch of touristy shops.
                          Sketch in STL
                          Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Navy Pier is lame. The museums are great... the closest is Field (nat. history), right by Soldier Field, and it's oustanding. Check out Sue. Shedd is great, too.

Forget Sears and go the Lounge, not the observation deck, at the top of the Hancock. You can pull up a table and have drinks right at a window.
                            "At a time like this, scorching irony, not convincing argument, is needed."
                            – Frederick Douglass, doing an amazing job since 1852

Comment

The Pier is ok to people watch. Just like Pier 39 in San Francisco.
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                              X