No announcement yet.

The Cardinals as sellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ludwick is a more productive player than Ankiel....and he's worth about the same. Ankiel is too streaky and far too unproven in the long run. If you can get top talent like Scherzer in return for him (while opening up a spot for a certain more talented, left handed-hitting CF who's wasting time in AAA) then you have to do it.

Duncan is worth nothing at all in a trade. No one wants him.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of:
    MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
    The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Originally posted by BringBackZezel View Post
      Ludwick is a more productive player than Ankiel....and he's worth about the same. Ankiel is too streaky and far too unproven in the long run. If you can get top talent like Scherzer in return for him (while opening up a spot for a certain more talented, left handed-hitting CF who's wasting time in AAA) then you have to do it.

Duncan is worth nothing at all in a trade. No one wants him.
      Wait...more productive this season?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        And thus far in their respective big league careers.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post
          And thus far in their respective big league careers.
          I could start the avalanche of saying one's an everyday player and the other is best utilized as a mix-and-match type but that's another thread...

Comment

I could start the avalanche of saying one's an everyday player and the other is best utilized as a mix-and-match type but that's another thread...

Several other threads, as it turns out. But I look at it this way - if Ankiel blew out his knee tomorrow, we could replace him with a guy (well, sort of, he's DLed) from whom we would see exactly zero dropoff. I don't think that's true with Ludwick.

Comment

Ludwick's OPS is 71 points higher than Ankiel this season. He's more productive.

We all know that Ankiel is not going to be in St. Louis in 2010. I would only say it's a 50/50 chance that he'll be in St. Louis in 2009. Why not get what you can for now?

Some people don't seem to understand that when it comes to trading players, you have to sell high or else you get next to nothing.

The Cardinals trade Edmonds a season or 2 late and they have to eat most of his salary.

The A's trade their top pitchers earlier and they get FHOFBB and Dan Haren.

It's time to part ways with Ankiel.
              MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Ludwick's OPS is 71 points higher than Ankiel this season. He's more productive.

We all know that Ankiel is not going to be in St. Louis in 2010. I would only say it's a 50/50 chance that he'll be in St. Louis in 2009. Why not get what you can for now?

Some people don't seem to understand that when it comes to trading players, you have to sell high or else you get next to nothing.

The Cardinals trade Edmonds a season or 2 late and they have to eat most of his salary.

The A's trade their top pitchers earlier and they get FHOFBB and Dan Haren.

It's time to part ways with Ankiel.
                I was inferring that in the long run, Ankiel will be the one more productive...I understand Ludwick is having his career year now...

I think Ankiel gets moved in the offseason, much like another left-handed outfielder who was due for a big payday and was a Scott Boras client...

Odds: 60-40 he goes...

Comment

Ankiel has 13 more ABs. With LaRussa at the helm, all of the Cards OFs are platoon players.

Not only that, but in 13 less ABs, Ludwick has more runs, hits, doubles, 14 more RBIs, and more BB.

There's no question that Ludwick is the more productive player. Even the MLB players agree, which is why one's an AS and the other isn't.

Comment

I would agree that he won't be moved during the season, if for no other reason than you know there will be a large and fucktarded PR backlash.

Comment

I was inferring that in the long run, Ankiel will be the one more productive...I understand Ludwick is having his career year now...

I think Ankiel gets moved in the offseason, much like another left-handed outfielder who was due for a big payday and was a Scott Boras client...

Odds: 60-40 he goes...
                      I still don't buy that Ankiel is the better OF long-term. Ludwick was a top draft pick and one time top 25 prospect. He got sidetracked due to injury and he's now healthy.

Ankiel was a pitcher who couldn't mentally handle pitching so he started playing OF where he is also naturally talented, but again completely crumbled last season once the news came out that he was juicing. You want to mention another LH-hitting Boras client...I'm convinced that Ankiel is more mentally frail than even Drew. I don't know how anyone couldn't agree.

Comment

Ankiel has 13 more ABs. With LaRussa at the helm, all of the Cards OFs are platoon players.

Not only that, but in 13 less ABs, Ludwick has more runs, hits, doubles, 14 more RBIs, and more BB.

There's no question that Ludwick is the more productive player. Even the MLB players agree, which is why one's an AS and the other isn't.
                        Again, I'm talking aboot beyond this season...and again, it's my belief this is Ludwick's career year and his value to this organization right now is somewhat artificially high b/c he's a major league calibre, right-handed outfield bat that the system lacks (Joe Mather doesn't count)

Comment

I still don't buy that Ankiel is the better OF long-term. Ludwick was a top draft pick and one time top 25 prospect. He got sidetracked due to injury and he's now healthy.

Ankiel was a pitcher who couldn't mentally handle pitching so he started playing OF where he is also naturally talented, but again completely crumbled last season once the news came out that he was juicing. You want to mention another LH-hitting Boras client...I'm convinced that Ankiel is more mentally frail than even Drew. I don't know how anyone couldn't agree.
                          We'll just agree to disagree on this...I'm not buying Ludwick's future and you're not buying Ankiel's...

Comment

A lot of nonsense in this thread.

Last night sucked big ol' horse cock, but it's not time to sell, unless we can't fix the bullpen.

These are desperate times. Might have to consider finding a way to put Looper and/or Wellemeyer back in the pen.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
                              A lot of nonsense in this thread.

Last night sucked big ol' horse cock, but it's not time to sell, unless we can't fix the bullpen.

These are desperate times. Might have to consider finding a way to put Looper and/or Wellemeyer back in the pen.
                              +++
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Are Pedro Borbon, Jeff Fassero, or Jorge Sosa available?
                                “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Working...
                                X