No announcement yet.

The Cardinals as sellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Put me in the camp that doesn't understand the urge to dump Ankiel.

Oh, and as of today the Cards are still holding down a playoff spot.
    You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Originally posted by Charlie Sheen View Post
      Put me in the camp that doesn't understand the urge to dump Ankiel.

Oh, and as of today the Cards are still holding down a playoff spot.
      Not hard to understand: agent doesn't negotiate contract extensions for his clients and his max value to another team likely comes either now or in the offseason...the idea worked for another boras client the Cardinals once had after the 03 season...

Would they trade? Not likely, but it's not too hard to understand the possibility when examining the parameters surrounding it...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Ankiel is going to make $10m next season and walk after that....

and he's blocking a more skilled player in Rasmus. It's time to cash in the chip and get the best return possible. Ankiel is hot right now. Don't wait until he hits another slump before moving him.
        Official Lounge Sponsor of:
        MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
        The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Hard to understand: .276, 31 HRs, 89 RBI in his first 478 ABs as a major league regular.

I don't give a shit how much money he makes, I'm not paying him, and the Cardinals have plenty to go around.
          You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Well that settles that..

Comment

It doesn't settle anything, it's my opinion.

I think some people here forget that from time to time.

Rick Ankiel hits the ball hard and plays a good CF.

I'd like to see him remain a Cardinal. It's that simple to me in this particular instance. When a guy puts up the kind of numbers he has over the last year it tends to make things easy for me.
              Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 07-13-2008, 01:13 AM.

Comment

It doesn't settle anything, it's my opinion.

I think some people here forget that from time to time.

Rick Ankiel hits the ball hard and plays a good CF.

I'd like to see him remain a Cardinal. It's that simple to me, in this particular instance. When a guy puts up the kind of numbers he has over the last year, it tends to make things easy for me.
                And mine's mine: you think my opinion has to do with it being just money and that's just part of the equation here...

Best trade chip they have not named Rasmus or Pujols, in my opinion...

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                  And mine's mine: you think my opinion has to do with it being just money and that's just part of the equation here...

Best trade chip they have not named Rasmus or Pujols, in my opinion...
                  He's the best trade chip because he is a productive player.

I'd like to see the Cardinals lockup their productive players, rather than trade them for a cheap project who may not be worth a shit.

If the Cardinals can get a major league established player such as a guy like Stephen Drew, I'd be more inclined to give it some thought.

But, in most trade scenarios that make even an ounce of sense for both teams (financially and competitively going forward), it's going to be pretty hard for this type of deal to be worked out.

For instance, why would Arizona trade Drew? The answer is that they most likely won't because it opens up a glaring hole. It's fun to talk about but beyond that it's all a bunch of bullshit that has little or no chance of actually happening.
                  Last edited by Charlie Sheen; 07-13-2008, 01:14 AM.

Comment

He's the best trade chip because he is a productive player.

I'd like to see the Cardinals lockup their productive players, rather than trade them for a cheap project who may not be worth a shit.

If the Cardinals can get a major league established player such as a guy like Stephen Drew, I'd be more inclined to give it some thought.

But, in most trade scenarios that make even an ounce of sense for both teams (financially and competitively going forward), it's going to be pretty hard for this type of deal to be worked out.

For instance, why would Arizona trade Drew? The answer is, that they most likely won't because it opens up a glaring hole. It's fun to talk about, but beyond that it's all a bunch of bullshit that has little or no chance of actually happening.
                    For the Cardinals to lock-up this productive player, it will more than likely take Ankiel telling his agent to go fly a kite in an electrical storm...his clients always plays the free agent marketplace for top dollar...

My guess he gets moved in the offseason to fill holes at both the ML-level and minor league level, much like the J.D. Drew deal did after '03...

Comment

I think the Ankiel situation is a bit different when it comes to Boras, and I don't think Rick would heistate to tell him to get something done with the Cardinals after all the organization has done for him...I think he feels a sense of loyalty others don't...and Boras can want all he wants to...he works for Ankiel, not vice versa...
                      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by JK View Post
                        I think the Ankiel situation is a bit different when it comes to Boras, and I don't think Rick would heistate to tell him to get something done with the Cardinals after all the organization has done for him...I think he feels a sense of loyalty others don't...and Boras can want all he wants to...he works for Ankiel, not vice versa...
                        I wouldn't even have brought up the possibility to move him if it wasn't for his agent...

Unfortunately, I have little trust in loyalty playing a hand in keeping him in St. Louis...

Comment

You're all way off base. Loops is the guy that they will be shopping. Doesn't make sense, but there it is.

Comment

yeah, put me in the camp that says no to moving Ankiel this year. Now, Ludwick or Duncan, sure. I really don't see Ankiel as "blocking" Rasmus. Not at all.

If AZ wants Duncan and Reyes for Hudson and Scherzer, yep yep, in a minute.

I'm not opposed to selling, just not guys who can help next year. I guess that puts Lohse on the list of trade bait. Surely the return for him will be decent. Would like to see an attempt to resign though. Carp, Wains, Lohse, and Wellemeyer anchoring any 5 man rotation would be nice.
                            Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze View Post
                              If AZ wants Duncan and Reyes for Hudson and Scherzer, yep yep, in a minute.
                              Cards talk?
                              Dude. Can. Fly.

Comment

Originally posted by dvyyyyyy View Post
                                Cards talk?
                                Pretty much...But, Scherzer is just another injured arm.
                                Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

Working...
                                X