The Cardinals as sellers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Cardinals as sellers

Different people face disappointment in different ways. Some refuse to accept defeat--"We'll trade for Jason Bay and a lefty relief pitcher!". Some fly into rage--"#@(@%TW(#(!!% Isringhausen!". And some, like me, give up.

Let's say you accept that no team that HAS A 10-4 LEAD IN THE EIGHTH INNING AGAINST THE GODDAM PIRATES AND STILL MANAGES TO LOSE is going to make the playoffs, either as NL Central champs or as the wild card. Let's say you realize that with Mulder taken out to be euthanized, Wainwright not coming back until it's too late, Carpenter not coming back in 2008 (who are they kidding?) and NOT A SINGLE FUCKING PITCHER WE CAN COUNT ON IN THE BULLPEN, NOT A GODDAMN ONE, that this team will probably finish, oh, .500 at best.

You sell, right? You chalk 2008 up as indeed the rebuilding year everybody thought it would be in March, and sell. So who do you sell?

*Kyle Lohse. There has to be a team out there that would give us something decent for a pitcher who's checking into the All-Star Break with an 11-2 record and a 3.39 ERA.

*Russ Springer. Hey, he's got a 2.24 ERA and is striking out nearly a batter an inning.

*Ryan Ludwick. Two words: sell high.

*Rick Ankiel. This is 007's idea.

*Skip Schumaker. Surely the eventual promotion of Colby Rasmus will make him expendable.

Well? And don't say any of our minor-league prospects. Sellers want more developing talent, not less.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Chris Perez and Ryan Ludwick bear thought with Perez getting more thought to getting moved...

And Ankiel? I'm tabling him to get moved till the offseason...think it works better, much like drew's deal to ATL so many moons ago...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

We could get something for Ludwick. Dude has 20 HR at the break, just made his first all-star team, and can play any outfield position although you probably don't want to stick him in center too much.

Comment

And I'd definitely start shopping Lohse. At this stage there's no reason not to. And what pitcher that people are talking about being on the market would fetch more than Lohse?

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
          We could get something for Ludwick. Dude has 20 HR at the break, just made his first all-star team, and can play any outfield position although you probably don't want to stick him in center too much.
          They definitely could get "something" for him...but what? Don't think the line would be long of teams willing to part with anything beyond B-level prospects in return...

Comment

My only hesitation at giving him up, is that he's the only righthanded bat in the outfield.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
              They definitely could get "something" for him...but what? Don't think the line would be long of teams willing to part with anything beyond B-level prospects in return...
              Okey doke. Maybe one of those B-level prospects would turn into an A-level prospect. Do it, Mo!

Comment

And I'd definitely start shopping Lohse. At this stage there's no reason not to. And what pitcher that people are talking about being on the market would fetch more than Lohse?
                A.J. Burnett (should he opt out), CC Sabathia (should he not sign an extension), and Ben Sheets (same) ...

Comment

Lohse would have gain something.

Isn't there something in his contract whereas the Cardinals have to pay him more if he's traded? I swear I remember that.

But, he has to get a good prospect if he can be dealt.
                  When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                    A.J. Burnett (should he opt out), CC Sabathia (should he not sign an extension), and Ben Sheets (same) ...
                    Of those three, only one would be moved before the deadline.
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
                      Of those three, only one would be moved before the deadline.
                      I read his response as free agent market, not trade...

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
                        Lohse would have gain something.

Isn't there something in his contract whereas the Cardinals have to pay him more if he's traded? I swear I remember that.

But, he has to get a good prospect if he can be dealt.
                        $500K if dealt...

Comment

Not terrible.

I think you have to move the guy if this keeps going south -- or, really, if it doesn't go north -- in the next week or so.

Comment

Unless they have ruined the value of Reyes completely, I'd like to see the Cardinals trade him.

Hell, I'd like to see them trade him no matter what. It drives me nuts seeing him languishing in the minors when he pitched decently (not great) out of the 'pen earlier this year and they dont give him any chances that they give to these other fuckups.
                            “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Some poster at Cards Talk (yes, yes: I know) stated that with Eric Byrnes possibly being out the remainder of 08 w/ a hamstring tear, the radio home of the 'Backs (KTAR) reported that the club checked on the availability of Ankiel that would include Orlando Hudson and Max Scherzer coming back this way....

Me? I think if Ankiel continues to play like this, his offseason value on the trade market will be extremely high...

Comment

Working...
                              X