Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rove ignores subpoena, refuses to testify

WASHINGTON - Former White House adviser Karl Rove defied a congressional subpoena and refused to testify Thursday about allegations of political pressure at the Justice Department, including whether he influenced the prosecution of a former Democratic governor of Alabama.

Rep. Linda Sanchez, chairman of a House subcommittee, ruled with backing from fellow Democrats on the panel that Rove was breaking the law by refusing to cooperate — perhaps the first step toward holding him in contempt of Congress.

Lawmakers subpoenaed Rove in May in an effort to force him to talk about whether he played a role in prosecutors' decisions to pursue cases against Democrats, such as former Alabama Gov. Don Siegelman, or in firing federal prosecutors considered disloyal to the Bush administration.

Rove had been scheduled to appear at the House Judiciary subcommittee hearing Thursday morning. A placard with his name sat in front of an empty chair at the witness table, with a handful of protesters behind it calling for Rove to be arrested.

Possible contempt charge

A decision on whether to pursue contempt charges now goes to the full Judiciary Committee and ultimately to House Speaker Nancy Pelosi.
    House Republicans called Thursday's proceedings a political stunt and said if Democrats truly wanted information they would take Rove up on an offer he made to discuss the matter informally.

The House already has voted to hold two of President Bush's confidants in contempt for failing to cooperate with its inquiry into whether the administration fired nine federal prosecutors in 2006 for political reasons.
    The case, involving White House chief of staff Josh Bolten and former White House counsel Harriet Miers, is in federal court and may not be resolved before Bush's term ends in January.

The White House has cited executive privilege, arguing that internal administration communications are confidential and that Congress cannot compel officials to testify.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/25622771

"Just sit on it, Karl, until January. George will take care of you & Scooter too..." --Dick

Send his ass to Guantanemo
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

What was that character on South Park?

"I AM ABOVE THE LAW!"
      Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Reminds me of Chappelle taking the fifth in front of Congress.

Comment

I'm sure he'll be pardoned come January anyway, so what does he have to gain by not clamming up?

This whole administration needs to be imprisoned.
          Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Rule of law was nice while it lasted.
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Get ready for posts from TTB and FAR defending this guy and explaining that they did nothing wrong in any shape and form.

Comment

See the Law

Is only for little people.
                Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Leave the man alone. He's now a dedicated public informant for Fox News and shouldn't be bothered.
                  June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

I saw Karl at dinner about a month ago in a restaurant called Bud & Alley's in Seaside, Florida. The waiter said he has a house up the road in Rosemary Beach. Also said he's a 10% tipper, but triggercut would know if that's acccurate, I guess.
                    Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law ~

A.C.

Comment

Originally posted by bombay View Post
                      Also said he's a 10% tipper, but triggercut would know if that's acccurate, I guess.
                      I would only tip 10% also if the heart of newborn baby I ordered came out too well done.
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

hmm... if he had nothing to hide he'd probably just go testify instead of creating a big fuss about it... naaaah... he's probably just got a Pampered Chef party to go to.
                        25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
                        Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

I'm sure Cheney doesn't want to jeopardize ongoing illeg .... I mean ongoing operations.
                          Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                            Get ready for posts from TTB and FAR defending this guy and explaining that they did nothing wrong in any shape and form.
                            Nope...not me.

Just because I think Democrats have a lot of bad policies doesn't mean I defend every asshole Republican.

No empathy from me for that one.
                            Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                            X