Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Durbin/Reid support offshore drilling

good times.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - A top U.S. Democratic senator said in a newspaper interview published Wednesday that he would consider supporting opening up new areas for offshore oil and gas drilling.

"I'm open to drilling and responsible production," Senate Majority Whip Richard Durbin told The Wall Street Journal, adding that Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid could also support the move.

However, Durbin said his support for opening new areas to drilling was contingent on setting requirements that oil and gas companies begin production within a specified time frame on acreage they have leased from the government.

The spike in oil prices to record highs above $145 per barrel has prompted calls for the U.S. government to allow energy producers to explore for oil and gas off the East and West Coasts and in the eastern region of the Gulf of Mexico. Those areas are currently off limits to exploration.

Republicans say their efforts to open up new regions for exploration have been stymied by Democrats.

Democrats say energy companies are producing oil and gas from only about a quarter of the 91.5 million acres currently leased from the government.

(Reporting by Matt Daily; editing by John Wallace)

Interesting how an angry electorate and single digit approval ratings can motivate members of Congress to actually do the right thing.
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
      Interesting how an angry electorate and single digit approval ratings can motivate members of Congress to actually do the right thing.
      9 freakin percent.. lol

Comment

The single digit approval rating thing is bullshit, btw...
        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by dooz View Post
          9 freakin percent.. lol
          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

9 freakin percent.. lol
            Another sucker reeled in by Drudge and the right-wing squealing...

Congratulations!
            “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
              And another...

Thats one ugly pileup.

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy View Post
                Raz,

Everyone I've come in contact with over the last few years, and I mean EVERYONE, has a great dislike for Congress. It was true when the GOP had contraol, and it's the same since the Democrats have taken control.

With the ecpetion of a handful, most of them are scumbags. That's why I always find it laughable that Congess can accuse people from MLB of "lying before Congress". Hell man, Congress has written the book on lying before the American public for years.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
                  What makes it right?

That it would take 10 years before we see a drop of oil or that it would take 20 years to reach peak production that btw, wouldn't amount to more than a drop in the bucket of world production?
                  Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                    Raz,

Everyone I've come in contact with over the last few years, and I mean EVERYONE, has a great dislike for Congress. It was true when the GOP had contraol, and it's the same since the Democrats have taken control.

With the ecpetion of a handful, most of them are scumbags. That's why I always find it laughable that Congess can accuse people from MLB of "lying before Congress". Hell man, Congress has written the book on lying before the American public for years.
                    Oh, I'm not denying that most people disapprove of Congress. I'm just arguing against the latest GOP talking point being parrotted by a mass of sheep. Its BS.

Comment

Ok, fair enough -- not the same poll question. But the point remains. People are pissed about gas prices and think environmental restrictions on drilling are bullshit.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Comment

can you read?

Just 2 percent rated the performance as excellent, and 7 percent rated it as good.

Add those up, and you get 9 percent.
                        I am glad you can settle for a "fair" performing congress. 55 percent think performance is less than "fair". No offense dude, but that is terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by dredbyrd View Post
                          What makes it right?

That it would take 10 years before we see a drop of oil or that it would take 20 years to reach peak production that btw, wouldn't amount to more than a drop in the bucket of world production?
                          An energy policy has to think long term dred. I've heard Obama say the same thing. Which really surprises me, because a President does have to think about things 10 years down the road.

Comment

can you read?
                            I can read just fine, which is why I posted that.

Start with "Green Eggs and Ham" by Dr Seuss, then read the article again.

Comment

can you read?

I am glad you can settle for a "fair" performing congress. 55 percent think performance is less than "fair". No offense dude, but that is terrible.
                              If you want a accurate view of how congress' "performance" is viewed you'd have to poll those whom they serve: their donors.

No matter what else might or should be true, they are not there to serve the public interest.
                              Damn these electric sex pants!

26+31+34+42+44+46+64+67+82+06 = 10

Bring back the death penalty for corporations!

Comment

Working...
                              X