• GDT (L) : St. Louis (51-40) @ Philadelphia (48-43), Mulder v. Happ, 6:05 CT

I'm 0-4 in GDTs.
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

GDT - Cardinals (Mulder) @ Phillies (Happ), 7.9.08, 6:05 PM

Mulder faces tough task in Phillies
    07/08/2008 11:31 PM ET
    By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

PHILADELPHIA -- Joel Pineiro had to wait a while between wins, but he's got nothing on Mark Mulder.
    More than two years after his last big league victory, Mulder will toe the rubber for the Cardinals against the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park on Wednesday night. It will be Mulder's first big league start since last September, and he'll be looking for his first Major League win since June 15, 2006.

Since that time, Mulder has undergone a pair of shoulder operations and made two abortive comeback attempts. In his third try at regaining his old form, he started by pitching in the bullpen. Now he's back where he feels most comfortable.

"I was completely fine with that [relieving]," he said. "I've said all along, I don't care what I do. Just to be out there throwing again is a good feeling. Obviously, I love starting, but even if I was in the 'pen the rest of the year, I wouldn't have cared."

He's starting, though -- and it's a doozy of a start. Mulder will be pitching in one of baseball's most unforgiving ballparks, against a lineup that has crushed left-handed starters.

"I think it will be a really difficult assignment," said manager Tony La Russa. "But there isn't anybody that he's bumping that gives us a better chance to win, even though it's really difficult for him."

Pitching matchup
    STL: LHP Mark Mulder (0-0, 13.50 ERA)
    With the Cardinals sending rookie right-hander Mitchell Boggs down to Triple-A Memphis, Mulder will make his first start of the year and his first since Sept. 16. Thus far, Mulder has made two appearances out of the bullpen for the Cardinals and with mixed results. In his first trip out of the 'pen, Mulder threw one inning and gave up two hits. But in his most recent appearance, Mulder struggled and lasted only one-third of an inning while giving up two runs.

PHI: LHP J.A. Happ (0-0, 3.86 ERA)
    Happ made his first start of 2008 on Friday, lasting 4 2/3 innings, allowing two runs on three hits, striking out three and walking four. Manager Charlie Manuel was noncommittal regarding whether Happ's Friday outing had earned him another start, though he said he was pleased with Happ's command. The lefty was called up to fill in for Brett Myers, who was optioned to Triple-A Lehigh Valley.

Tidbits
    The Cardinals are 17-15 in games started by opposing lefties. ... St. Louis' 25-19 road record is the best in the National League. ... The Cardinals are 8-5 at Citizens Bank Park. ... Adam Kennedy has eight doubles in his last 12 games.

Tickets
    Buy tickets now to catch the game in person.

On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    • Gameday
    • Official game notes

On television
    • FSN, ESPN

On radio
    • KTRS 550

Up next
    • Thursday: Cardinals (Braden Looper, 9-6, 4.15) at Phillies (Jamie Moyer, 7-6, 4.12), 12:05 p.m. CT
    • Friday: Cardinals (Kyle Lohse, 10-2, 3.61) at Pirates (Zach Duke, 4-5, 4.23), 6:05 p.m. CT
    • Saturday: Cardinals (TBD) at Pirates (Phil Dumatrait, 3-4, 5.26), 6:05 p.m. CT
    I got this one. Go Birds.

Comment

Mulder finally gets a start
      By Joe Strauss
      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
      07/09/2008

PHILADELPHIA — Mark Mulder makes his first major-league start tonight in almost 10 months.

Mulder opposes the Philadelphia Phillies, a team that eats lefthanders for lunch, in a claustrophobic place prone to giving pitchers weak knees.

"Who better?" manager Tony La Russa said. "If you've got a better choice, let me know."

La Russa's choice of words Tuesday could convey his confidence in the surgically repaired Mulder, his lack of confidence in a system that has worn a path between Memphis and St. Louis, or both. Regardless, the Cardinals give Mulder a chance tonight to show he is more than a lefthanded novelty out of the bullpen.

"There's a spot open, and it's an opportunity for him to go out there and throw extended pitches," La Russa said. "I think it would be a really difficult assignment. But there isn't anybody he's bumping that gives us a better chance to win, even though it's really difficult for him."

The Phillies enter 19-12 against lefthanded starters compared to 29-30 against righties. Mulder makes his first start since last Sept. 16. La Russa and pitching coach Dave Duncan hope for 75-80 effective pitches spread over five innings.

"We'll see how my consistency goes," said Mulder, who labored in his rehab starts at Triple-A Memphis after commanding his outings at Double-A Springfield. "That's kind of been my issue all along. I haven't been afraid to say it. It's been part of what I've been dealing with the way my shoulder is now. I'm going to go out there and do the best I can with what I've got."

Mulder is a week removed from a complicated eighth-inning appearance against the New York Mets in which he was charged with a blown save and two earned runs while getting one out. He entered an inning in progress for the first time in his career.

"It's easy for me to look back now when I came in with the guy on base, I don't think I was mentally ready for that. I was worried about that too much. I wasn't focused. It was my first time doing that," he said. "It's easy to look back and say I wish I hadn't done that. Whether or not that guy steals, it's a different experience having somebody else's runner on base.

"It's the first time. I had the wrong mental approach for that situation."

The Cardinals could have scheduled Mulder to start against the Pittsburgh Pirates this weekend but thought it prudent to give Braden Looper, Kyle Lohse and Todd Wellemeyer an extra day off.

"In the end, we did what was better for most than what was better for one," La Russa said.

Tonight's start also reflects an organizational desire to find out what the club has as soon as possible in order to prepare for the July 31 non-waiver trade deadline. Mulder is trying to find out where his shoulder will take him after follow-up rotator cuff surgery last Sept. 24.

General manager John Mozeliak, who adjusted his schedule to join the team before Tuesday night's game, voiced optimism about the return of Chris Carpenter and Adam Wainwright early next month. Carpenter may go on a rehab assignment after Monday's simulated game in Jupiter, Fla., and Wainwright is set to begin a throwing program as he returns from a sprained right middle finger.

Comment

You motherfucker! I called it, I say! Shut this one down. kah sucks at GDTs.

Comment

Whoops, forgot to put the date in. Maybe a kindly moderator could insert that.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
            Whoops, forgot to put the date in. Maybe a kindly moderator could insert that.
            Boooooo. Mine has a preview in the first post AND a date. AND I'm 10-2.

Comment

Oh fine, lock this thread. And put the date in the title of Maverick's thread.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                Oh fine, lock this thread. And put the date in the title of Maverick's thread.
                Mine has the date!

Comment

dead heat....the merge makes Kah the winnar.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott
                  Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                  5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Well, ok, but when we lose it's his fault.

Comment

With this beginning, I'm sure this will end well...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I'm pulling!

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                          With this beginning, I'm sure this will end well...
                          See, I thought I'd fall on my sword, what with the 0-4 record and all.

And put the date in the title, please.

Comment

The date of the ballgame is today.
                            Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Game hasn't even started and we already have our first use of the word motherfucker. Nice. With Mulder starting I'm sure there will be a few more to come.
                              Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
                              R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

Working...
                              X