Tipping carry-out: do ya?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tipping carry-out: do ya?

The gal and I had this discussion when we picked up some Chinese last night and couldn't come to an agreement -- do you tip on carry-out orders when you pick it up and if so, how much?

I claim that one shouldn't tip on it and she says ten percent...

And.............go

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

no
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Big no.
      Sponsor of:
      Brian Elliott
      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Carry out? Absolutely not.

However, if your g/f wants to start tipping the teen behind the counter at McDonalds, let her. She can blow her own money however she wants.
        Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

If it's a place I frequent and the food's ready on time, yeah. Usually a couple of bucks...Especially if I pay with my card. The restaurant has to pay fees/etc for the cards, so I figure if I give 'em a couple bucks it will cover the fee they got charged for me to pay them.
          Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Nope.

Comment

No. What are they doing that is of service? Wait staff aren't involved in the serving of the food. No delivery driver brought it to your house. Thus, no tip.

Moon

Comment

Nope.
                To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

No.
                  If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Not for Chinesebut from somewhere like Outback yes. We are pain in the ass orderers.

Comment

Not typically, but as SC said, if its a place I frequent and the people are cool, I'll toss a buck or two at em to make sure bodily fluids are not included in my order.

Comment

yes.. I think you are supposed to tip a couple of bucks. Some places (Applebees, etc) will bring it out to your car, I figure that is worth a little something. The only thing they don't really do that a waitress/waiter does is fill your drinks. Of course, I don't know if the same person actually takes the order, fills the bag, and accepts the payment.. and how they actually divy up the tip money..

Comment

Hells no.

Comment

There isn't a place of business in town that doesn't have a tip jar. I'm thinking about putting one on my desk at work even though I don't deal with customers.

I always tip. I'm scared if I don't the next time I come by they will spit in my food.

Comment

Depends. Some places a waitress or bartender has to go get the food from the back and pack it up. Seems like service then.

33 Wine Bar near me is great about getting bottles to go. They write 'carry out' on the tip line of the card receipt, thus not allowing tipping and eliminating the awkwardness. Owner (Jake) is a good, thoughtful man that way.
                              Sketch in STL
                              Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Working...
                              X