Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should St. Louis have a statue of Chuck berry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should St. Louis have a statue of Chuck berry?

What about his cousin Marvin?
    Official Lounge Sponsor:
    Tom Brady, Brandon Spikes and the NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS
    The 29 Time Beanpot Champion Boston University Terriers
    Clay Buchholz, Dustin Pedroia, Aaron Curry

Who you callin' spook, peckerhead?

EDIT: Also, am I going crazy, or does the board index say this was started by kjoe but the first post is Lippa?

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

EDIT: Also, am I going crazy, or does the board index say this was started by kjoe but the first post is Lippa?
      I think a kjoe thread finally broke The Lounge.

Comment

Originally posted by Maverick View Post

You may be going crazy, but that's what it said.

Comment

haha

I guess kjoe started this thread? I don't see why Lippa would..

Comment

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
            Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
            -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

would the statue be spying on women in the bathroom? If so, I vote yes.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by 210 View Post
                You may be going crazy, but that's what it said.

according to that picture, you did not read my post. get on it, dude.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                  according to that picture, you did not read my post. get on it, dude.
                  I have since read it.

It was very thought provoking.

Comment

tyvm.
                    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                      would the statue be spying on women in the bathroom? If so, I vote yes.
                      I was using my laptop at the Ymca. (in the lobby). For some reason the lounge was moving like molasses---refusing to post, refusing to let go of the post. I will try and reconstruct it---because, cleaning up the messes I leave here is part of what makes me who I am.

C'mon, let's roll! Berry, our most famous guy, should get statue 07/06/2008

C'mon, let's roll! Berry, our most famous guy, should get statue
                      Bill McClellan
                      [More columns]
                      [Bill's Biography]

By Bill McClellan
                      ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
                      07/06/2008

A couple of years ago, I wrote a column suggesting that we erect a statue of Chuck Berry and put it at the airport. After all, Berry is probably the most famous St. Louisan of all time. More famous even than Stan Musial, and that is no reflection on Stan the Man. It's just that there are large chunks of the planet that don't care much about baseball.

Rock 'n' roll is more universal. As I mentioned in that first column, a friend of mine visited Croatia. She was in a bar. People were drinking and dancing. My friend did the duck walk. "Chuck Berry!" somebody said. Other people nodded. These were people who spoke no English. Soccer fans

Now before someone takes the predictable cheap shot, McClellan offers this:

Like most of my suggestions, the idea of a statue went nowhere. In fact, it was widely renounced. One of the more clever naysayers said, If we do put his statue in the airport, let's put it in the women's restroom.

That was a reference to a long-ago lawsuit in which Berry was accused of secretly videotaping women in the restroom of a restaurant he owned in Wentzville.

Admittedly, that is kind of creepy, but Berry denied knowing anything about the videotaping. He settled the lawsuit out of court, but that is not an admission of guilt. If you have a chance to settle a lawsuit, sometimes the wisest course of action is to do it. Just ask the guys at Metro.

I added this part:

One of the best things about St. Louis is the willingness of the populace to forgive the possible transgressions of its leading citizens.

When August Busch IV was named CEO of Anheuser-Busch, there was little, if any, talk about Michele Frederick. She's the young woman who died in 1983 in an auto accident in Tucson, Ariz. Busch had picked her up at a bar called Dirtbags. He was driving his new Corvette. The next morning, police found the car overturned next to a winding road. Her body was nearby. She had been thrown from the car. Busch's wallet and jacket were found at the scene. Police then went to Busch's apartment and found him in a bloodied and dazed condition. He was taken to the hospital and put in the intensive care unit. After a long investigation that involved an army of lawyers and went all the way to the Arizona Supreme Court, Busch was not charged.

Years later, he was named head of the brewery. He was featured in television commercials.

No one around here seemed to find that strange. Good for us, I say. Church of the Second Chance and all that.

Or think of Tony La Russa. His Oakland teams seemed to be Ground Zero for the steroid scandal that later rocked baseball. La Russa has been unapologetic. That's putting it mildly. He not only wanted to sign Barry Bonds this past winter, but he went public with that stance after he was rebuffed. He figured — and correctly, I'd say — that St. Louis fans would forgive Bonds his trespasses if he cranked out a few home runs.

La Russa knows firsthand about our forgiving attitude. Remember when he passed out at the wheel last year during spring training? He got a standing ovation the next morning.

Good for us again. We give people the benefit of the doubt — and then some.

Chuck Berry's alleged failings are small-time stuff. And merely alleged, by the way. But even if they were real, they're overshadowed by his accomplishments. The father of rock 'n' roll lives here. We should be proud of that. The most famous St. Louisan deserves a statue.
                      v

Comment

so does that make me a clever naysayer or a smartass with a keyboard?

Comment

only if you also have a statue for his ding a ling

Comment

A statue of him spying on women in the bathroom?
                            Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by STL JA View Post
                              A statue of him spying on women in the bathroom?
                              IN!

Comment

Working...
                              X