X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT Cubs(52-36) @ Cards (50-39)--L

Game info: 3:15 pm EDT Sun Jul 6, 2008
    • TV: CSN, KSDK

The Chicago Cubs are going to go home with another losing road trip. The St. Louis Cardinals can send them there with their smallest division lead in more than a month.
    A day after their walk-off victory, the Cardinals look to prevent the Cubs from getting a rare series win on the road and further cut into their archrivals’ NL Central lead on Sunday.
    St. Louis (50-39) ensured Chicago (52-36) would post a sub-.500 record on its 10-game road trip by rallying for three runs in the ninth inning Saturday to win 5-4 and even this series. Rick Ankiel delivered a two-out, two-run single off Cubs closer Kerry Wood to end the game.
    “We were one pitch away from getting out of it,” Wood said after his first blown save since May 24 at Pittsburgh. “But it seems to always be the case when you’re in that role.”
    Series at a Glance
    1. Chi Cubs 2
      St. Louis 1
      Fri, Jul 4 - Final
    2. Chi Cubs 4
      St. Louis 5
      Sat, Jul 5 - Final
    3. Chi Cubs at
      St. Louis
      Sun, Jul 6 - 3:15 pm ET

The Cubs have gone 3-6 on this trip, and the only winning one they’ve had since April was a 4-3 swing through San Diego and Los Angeles from June 2-8. They have lost nine of their last 12 road games and are 19-26 overall on the road.
    Chicago follows this series with a six-game homestand, and will start it just 1 1/2 games ahead of second-place St. Louis if it loses Sunday. That would be the closest any division foe has been to the Cubs since they led the Cardinals by 1 1/2 games on May 30.
    Ankiel has helped St. Louis stay close with eight homers and 15 RBIs in his last 16 games.
    Todd Wellemeyer (7-3, 3.86 ERA) takes the mound Sunday for St. Louis having thrown more innings this year (93 1-3) than any other season in his career.
    Wellemeyer was the NL pitcher of the month in May, but is 0-2 with a 9.45 ERA in his last three starts and missed two turns in the rotation last month due to elbow problems.
    “I can go back out there,” Wellemeyer said. “I don’t want to say it, but I could probably use a couple more bullpen sessions and get to where I need to be.”
    The right-hander won his only career start against the Cubs, giving up two runs and three hits in five innings of a 5-3 victory on May 4. He spent his first three major league seasons pitching out of Chicago’s bullpen before being traded to Florida in 2006.
    Sean Marshall (0-2, 4.87) could be headed back to the Cubs bullpen after this start due to Carlos Zambrano’s recent return from the disabled list. In fact, the only reason Marshall may be getting this turn in the rotation is because he’s a left-hander.
    Fellow southpaw Ted Lilly held St. Louis to two runs in six innings Saturday.
    “You look at the Cardinals, and they’re 11 games over against right-handers and one game over against lefties,” manager Lou Piniella told the Cubs’ official Web site. “That leads me to believe that we have a better chance with left-handers.”
    This will be Marshall’s third consecutive start following 13 relief appearances. He hasn’t pitched since last Sunday against the Chicago White Sox, giving up three runs and five hits—including two homers—in seven innings of a 5-1 defeat.
    Marshall is 1-1 with a 4.66 ERA in six career appearances—four starts— versus St. Louis.
    Albert Pujols is 3-for-8 with three walks against Marshall, and 4-for-7 with a homer in this series.
    Fellow first baseman Derrek Lee of the Cubs is hitting .476 (10-for-21) in his last five games.
    Teammate Jim Edmonds, meanwhile, is 0-for-7 with four strikeouts in this series in his return to St. Louis, where he spent the previous eight seasons.
    Updated 1 hour, 7 minutes ago

Team Comparison

Team Record Standings Away/Home Streak L10
    Chicago 52-36 1st Central Away 19-26 Lost 1 3-7
    St. Louis 50-39 2nd Central Home 26-20 Won 1 5-5

I dont know if there are rules to starting this or what, but who cares, its my birthday and I want to see at 15-1 Cubs beatdown.
    FML

good luck with that

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

I vote no. nothing personal, Reggie.
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

No effing way. Someone lock this up
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

it's bad enough that there was a fight over whether a cub should be standing o'd or not.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

no fucking way.

Comment

I can agree with a 15 - 1 Cubs beatdown, as long as it's the baby bears on the recieving end of that whooping.
              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

“I can go back out there,” Wellemeyer said. “I don’t want to say it, but I could probably use a couple more bullpen sessions and get to where I need to be
                .”

Uh, either don't say it or get to the bullpen. If you get rung up for 10 runs today, I'm going to be pissed.

“You look at the Cardinals, and they’re 11 games over against right-handers and one game over against lefties,” manager Lou Piniella told the Cubs’ official Web site. “That leads me to believe that we have a better chance with left-handers.”
                Why is that? We have good right handed hitters in Ludwick, Pujols, Glaus, Molina, etc., so we shouldn't be any worse off facing a lefty than a righty. Is this true of other teams as well?
                June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan View Post
                  .”

Uh, either don't say it or get to the bullpen. If you get rung up for 10 runs today, I'm going to be pissed.

Why is that? We have good right handed hitters in Ludwick, Pujols, Glaus, Molina, etc., so we shouldn't be any worse off facing a lefty than a righty. Is this true of other teams as well?
                  How long you been a Cards fan, tallahassee?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Wow, so the opposition gets to start a GDT, huh? That opens the door for CSD and the Sheriff.

Comment

It's his birthday...lighten up

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                        Wow, so the opposition gets to start a GDT, huh? That opens the door for CSD and the Sheriff.
                        That's rich.
                        Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                          It's his birthday...lighten up
                          I'm just having fun with it.

I do hope he sees a 15-1 beatdown of the Cubs.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                            That's rich.
                            What's your probem?

My remark was meant in fun.
                            Bleacher Creature
                            Last edited by Bleacher Creature; 07-06-2008, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                              I'm just having fun with it.

I do hope he sees a 15-1 beatdown of the Cubs.
                              Gotcha...

Thankfully, I didn't have to trot out that we let an Astros fan start Cardinals' GDT

Comment

Working...
                              X