Do you really hate the Cubs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you really hate the Cubs?

At age 8, my son is a very, very good player who tracks balls down and routinely hits 43-45 mph fastballs with authority to all fields (though he still has to work on staying back and waiting on the off speed stuff.) :-)He's a small guy now, but easily wields a 20 oz, 29 in. bat. He's not a natural, but has practiced his way into success.

Watching him shag flys yesterday got me to thinking, so I offer you this little scenario: Your son has had the good fortune to make it into the Bigs as an integral everyday player, but as a Chicago Cub.

1) Do you root for him whenever he faces the Cardinals in crucial game-changing situations?

2) Do you wear Chicago Cubs apparel in support of your boy and his team?(example: Cubs jersey with his name on the back)

3) Do you root for the Cubs because your son is a Cubs player?

Caveat: None of this 'I'd root for him to succeed, but for his team to lose' cop-out b.s. In this scenario, you only have one of two choices: a) Root for him to succeed against StL or b) Root for him to fail against StL.

I love my sons. I'd do anything for my sons. I'm raising my sons to succeed in life through education and hard work. I'd kill for my sons.

I've also been a die-hard Cardinals fan longer than I've known my sons. My son knows of my loyalty, it's been passed down to him. I'm confident my son would understand.
    Last edited by slow groove; 07-03-2008, 08:51 AM.
    "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Disowned.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
      Disowned.

You're nothing if not consistent, IC.
      "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove View Post

You're nothing if not consistent, IC.
        Well, I figure if he doesn't have the good sense to turn down the Cubs out of respect for his father then it only figures that I somehow failed in his upbringing.

But, since I'm his father that means I'm always right and since he didn't have the decency to reject the Cubs then that leaves me with only one option.

Comment

You see - I'm a practical man.

I would tell my son to play for the Cubs. Then ask him to play poorly enough to get traded to the Cardinals. Lead them to two WS and retire a hall of famer.

Signed Mr. Brock.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa_Card View Post
            Disowned.
            ++
            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

You can root for the player without rooting for the team. If he plays college ball, or for a minor league team that is no affiliated with the Cubs, wear that jersey with his name on it. You see this all of the time in hockey -- Forsberg's Team Sweden jersey for example.

Comment

Originally posted by slow groove View Post
                At age 8, my son is a very, very good player who tracks balls down and routinely hits 43-45 mph fastballs with authority to all fields (though he still has to work on staying back and waiting on the off speed stuff.) :-)He's a small guy now, but easily wields a 20 oz, 29 in. bat. He's not a natural, but has practiced his way into success.

Watching him shag flys yesterday got me to thinking, so I offer you this little scenario: Your son has had the good fortune to make it into the Bigs as an integral everyday player, but as a Chicago Cub.

1) Do you root for him whenever he faces the Cardinals in crucial game-changing situations?

2) Do you wear Chicago Cubs apparel in support of your boy and his team?(example: Cubs jersey with his name on the back)

3) Do you root for the Cubs because your son is a Cubs player?

Caveat: None of this 'I'd root for him to succeed, but for his team to lose' cop-out b.s. In this scenario, you only have one of two choices: a) Root for him to succeed against StL or b) Root for him to fail against StL.

I love my sons. I'd do anything for my sons. I'm raising my sons to succeed in life through education and hard work. I'd kill for my sons.

I've also been a die-hard Cardinals fan longer than I've known my sons. My son knows of my loyalty, it's been passed down to him. I'm confident my son would understand.
                You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

You disown him.
                "I am for truth no matter who says it. I am for justice no matter who it is for or against."...Malcom X

Comment

Originally posted by Jaws View Post
                  You are making this far more complicated than it needs to be.

You disown him.
                  This man knows what he speaks of.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                    You see - I'm a practical man.

I would tell my son to play for the Cubs. Then ask him to play poorly enough to get traded to the Cardinals. Lead them to two WS and retire a hall of famer.

Signed Mr. Brock.
                    This is the best post this board has seen in some time.
                    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

If my son's playing for the Cubs, I'll still be a Cards fan. But I'll be a bigger fan of my sons. I'd do anything to support him, but I wouldn't put on Cubs apparel.

Who do you think Archie Manning roots for when the Saints play the Colts?
                      His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
                      Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

I would want my child to be happy above anything else. Not so sure he'd want to play for the Cubs tho......see Eli Manning here.

Comment

Hate them?

Are you kidding?

How can you possibly hate an organization that has supplied so much merriment, enjoyment and belly laughs through the years? I mean, Steve Bartman. Think about it: A Cub fan interferes with a Cub player in a game that might send them to the World Series for the first time in 3,000 years.

And that's just one example. There are thousands of them.

How can you hate people like that? It would be like hating The Three Stooges.

Life would be so much less enjoyable without the Chicago Cubs.
                          "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                          --Albert Einstein

Comment

P.S.
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

What did Tony Gwynn say last year when his son hit a game-tying hit against the Padres to ruin their chance at the division?

I would root for my children to personally succeed, pray for the Cubs to lose, never purchase any Cubs gear, and pretend my son played for the Cardinals when in mixed company.
                              From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Working...
                              X