Ever Catch a Foul Ball at Busch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Catch a Foul Ball at Busch?

My 11 year old son did last night in the first inning. Beltran was the hitter, so that's not a bad ball. I'd love to get him to sign it, but I don't know how I could make that happen. Anyway, like many of you, I've been to a ton of Cards games over the years, but this is the first time that anyone that was with me ever caught a ball.

How many here have caught either a foul or a homer?
    "You can't handle my opinions." Moedrabowsky

Jeffro is a hell of a good man.

"A liberal is a man too broadminded to take his own side in a quarrel." - Robert Frost

Originally posted by FAR52 View Post
    My 11 year old son did last night in the first inning. Beltran was the hitter, so that's not a bad ball. I'd love to get him to sign it, but I don't know how I could make that happen. Anyway, like many of you, I've been to a ton of Cards games over the years, but this is the first time that anyone that was with me ever caught a ball.

How many here have caught either a foul or a homer?
    That's awesome.

When I went to my first game in 1979, we saw the Pirates.

Lee Lacy ripped a line drive foul and it was coming right toward me. Of course, I had a hot dog, soda, ice cream and foam finger so I would have been dead. The guy in front of us caught it, then turned around and handed it to me -- "You'll probably get more use out of this than I will" -- and went back to watching the game.

I still have that ball.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

The only home run ball I ever got was hit by Willie Stargell in Houston in 1970. The attendance was only about 9,000 in the Astrodome for that game. I ran down the aisle to the outfield and retrived the ball just ahead of several other kids and a couple grown men.
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Nope. The closest I came was a game in the late 70's. Simmons hit a screamer and the guy sitting across the aisle at old Busch got it. Probably about 10 feet away.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Nope, never. I took a friend to his first Blues game a couple of years ago, and we hadn't been sitting down for more than two seconds during warmups before someone rang the crossbar and the puck spun up and landed in his lap.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
            Nope, never. I took a friend to his first Blues game a couple of years ago, and we hadn't been sitting down for more than two seconds during warmups before someone rang the crossbar and the puck spun up and landed in his lap.
            Yeah, I got a practice puck one time at the old Arena like that. Off the crossbar and up and over.

Comment

I have gotten a ball at Busch, though not from one in play. Somebody playing for the Diamondbacks tossed me one they were warming up with when I was 13 or 14.

Comment

I caught a McGwire homerun in 98

I have got a few foul balls at minor league games.

Closest foul ball at a Cards game I had to reach for the ball and it hit off my pinky. It bent it to the backside of my hand. It was off the bat of Tino Martinez.
                Last edited by Guppy; 07-01-2008, 07:44 AM.
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                  I got a puck that landed in my feet after it rang off a guys head from a MacInnis clearing attempt. I was going to give the puck to the dude (who was on his cell phone and not watching the game) but by the time I got it, he was gone. So I later got Al to sign the puck for me.
                  Sponsor of:
                  Brian Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                    I caught a McGwire homerun in 97.

I have got a few foul balls at minor league games.

Closest foul ball at a Cards game I had to reach for the ball and it hit off my pinky. It bent it to the backside of my hand. It was off the bat of Tino Martinez.
                    you're a pussy if you can't catch a Tino foulball. My Grandma could catch a "drive" off of Tino's bat.

Comment

Kinda.

Several years ago I got 2nd-row bleachers seats as a gift at the previous Busch stadium. My wife and I went early to watch BP and maybe catch a ball.

I did get a ball fairly early - one that had bounced off the chest of a ~6 y/o boy and rolled over to me. I picked it up and gave it to the kid - told him he deserved it more than I did. His dad came over later in BP and said thanks, then gave me a JD Drew BP ball he'd caught. Apparently I should have been standing where they were because he'd caught two others besides the one I gave his boy.

I've never caught a ball myself in-game, though I've been close a couple of times.

Cool story, FAR.

-RBB

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                        you're a pussy if you can't catch a Tino foulball. My Grandma could catch a "drive" off of Tino's bat.
                        It was a high popup and I would have fallen 12-15 feet if I really tried for it. I did not feel like dying that day. It was a Tino ball afterall.
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott

Comment

I'd love to catch a Cub HR in the bleachers in Chicago and immediately throw it back on the field.
                          Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                            It was off the bat of Tino Martinez.
                            I take it you were sitting in the infield boxes on the 3rd-base side?

-RBB

Comment

Never been close. Did get a t-shirt during one of the period breaks at a Blues game, tho.
                              Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Working...
                              X