Hardwood Floors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hardwood Floors

There is a house I'm looking to buy - all hardwood floors that are in decent shape. I could leave them, or refinish them. This morning while driving into work - I decided if I DO get this house, I'm going to refinish them.

So - my question for today is has anyone here refinished them yourself...how much of a pain in the ass is it? I have heard both good and bad stories - so I figure I may as well reach out to you guys and see what you've got to add...

Thanks!
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Originally posted by Airshark
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

My dad had his floors refinished recently. They look better than my new floors. I think it cost him $300 to have 3 rooms done.

Comment

We just finished our bedroom Sunday, and hopefully getting all our furniture back in there tonight.

We used a kit from Lowes, it was around $50 or so, and they look great.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
        My dad had his floors refinished recently. They look better than my new floors. I think it cost him $300 to have 3 rooms done.
        $300? Sanding, staining, and sealing? That's incredible.

I'd expect that kind of work to cost a couple grand.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
          $300? Sanding, staining, and sealing? That's incredible.

I'd expect that kind of work to cost a couple grand.

Moon
          No kidding. That $300 isn't much more than the $50 kit we bought thats good for one room. And there was no sanding involved.

Comment

I have seen friends do this, and they generally end up looking great.
            When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan View Post
              No kidding. That $300 isn't much more than the $50 kit we bought thats good for one room. And there was no sanding involved.
              that sounds like a temp fix to me. ??
              Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

The entire process sounds pretty easy - definitely something that I can do, it will just take a couple of days. I'd do all the floors before we moved in (obviously).

I guess the less horror stories I hear, the more encouraged I'll be!
                Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Don't you have to vacate the premises for several days after the sealing?

Comment

Originally posted by Nsane2Bme View Post
                    that sounds like a temp fix to me. ??

Well they look great. Its a three step kit, and one is stripping.

Comment

Nsane2BMe

Try this place

http://www.boardwalkhardwood.com/

They have training sessions to show you how to do it properly (sanding, finishing, etc).

It's free if you rent from them and the prices are reasonable.

I did two rooms in three days and that was with the floors in real bad shape.

Comment

Originally posted by Burrito Brother View Post
                        Don't you have to vacate the premises for several days after the sealing?
                        That would be fine, since we wouldn't be moved in yet. It would be a complete non-issue.
                        Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                          Nsane2BMe

Try this place

http://www.boardwalkhardwood.com/

They have training sessions to show you how to do it properly (sanding, finishing, etc).

It's free if you rent from them and the prices are reasonable.

I did two rooms in three days and that was with the floors in real bad shape.
                          That's from start to finish?
                          Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Do it. They will look great and won't "really need it" in a few years when you would then have to move all your stuff around.
                            Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

I just talked to my dad. It cost $300 because my cousin, who does this professionally, did it for him. I doubt he's offering that deal to many people.

But it does look as good as new.

He said you can expect it to cost between $1.25 and $4.00 per square foot.

Comment

Working...
                              X