GDT (W): Cardinals(Loooooooper) at Tigers(PineTar), 6:15pm, FSN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT (W): Cardinals(Loooooooper) at Tigers(PineTar), 6:15pm, FSN

My first of the year. I have no confidence in us beating Rogers but fuck it, stranger things have happened this year.

EDIT: Actually a 6:05pm start. If someone wants to edit the title be my guest.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/preview?gameId=280624106

7:05 PM ET, June 24, 2008
    Comerica Park, Detroit, Michigan

STL: Looper (8-5), DET: Rogers (5-4)

Cardinals-Tigers Preview

The Detroit Tigers have been rolling at home, and with St. Louis coming to town, they might have a good chance to continue pleasing their fans.
    The Tigers will be trying to build on their recent dominance of the Cardinals when the teams open a three-game series Tuesday at Comerica Park.

Detroit (36-39) has recorded three-game sweeps in its last two home series, against the Chicago White Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers from June 10-15. The six-game home winning streak is the team's longest since a 10-game run from June 15-July 15, 2006.

Now, after a 4-2 road trip, the Tigers are returning home to defend the winning streak against a Cardinals team that suffered three-game sweeps at Comerica in the last two meetings between the teams, in 2006 and 2007.

Of course, in between those two series, St. Louis (44-33) took four of five games from Detroit to win the 2006 World Series. The Cardinals and Tigers split two games at Comerica during that series.

Still, St. Louis is just 3-9 all-time in the regular season in Detroit, and 6-14 overall against the Tigers.

Making their trip even more daunting, the Cardinals will be squaring off against the one starter who managed to beat them in the 2006 Series.

Kenny Rogers (5-4, 4.36 ERA) threw eight scoreless innings against the Cardinals in Game 2 of that series, though not without controversy -- television cameras showed a smudge on his hand during that game that some thought could be an illegal substance. This outing will be his first against St. Louis since that 3-1 win.

Rogers has not received a decision in his two previous regular-season starts against St. Louis, but he was roughed up for 10 runs in 8 1-3 innings in those outings.

The 43-year-old left-hander gave up one run in seven innings of Tuesday's 5-1 win in San Francisco. He had gone winless in his previous four starts despite compiling a 0.93 ERA in those outings, thanks in part to just five runs of support.

"I want to win as much as anybody," Rogers told the Tigers' official Web site. "I want to pitch good and win. I know they're trying harder to give me runs."

Rogers will square off against Braden Looper (8-5, 4.10), who held the Tigers to one run in 2 1-3 innings in three relief outings during the 2006 World Series. However, he is 2-1 with a 7.45 ERA in seven career regular-season appearances against Detroit and was battered for seven runs in four innings of a 14-4 loss in his only previous start against the Tigers on May 18 last season.

Looper stretched his scoreless innings streak to 17 on Wednesday before giving up one run in seven innings without getting a decision in St. Louis' 3-2 loss to Kansas City. The right-hander, who was working on an extra day of rest, was coming off a three-hit shutout in Cincinnati.

The Cardinals have won their last six road series, and took two of three in Boston over the weekend. However, they lost 5-3 in 13 innings in the series finale on Sunday for their fourth defeat in six games overall.

"Just a hellacious game. It's one of those things that makes you enjoy this level of competition," St. Louis manager Tony La Russa said.

Aaron Miles went 5-for-6 in the finale and is batting .458 (11-for-24) over his last five games.

The Tigers won the last two games of their three-game weekend series in San Diego, including Sunday's 5-3 victory. Magglio Ordonez and Ivan Rodriguez homered for Detroit, which has won 12 of 15.
    Cardz82
    Last edited by Cardz82; 06-24-2008, 09:38 AM.
    Official Lounge Sponsor
    Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

"Pine Tar."

Hilarious.
    Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
    Jesus is . . .

Comment

Somebody check that MoFo's entire body and uni for pine tar! Asscheater.
      Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Let him have his pine tar, it didn't work the last time.
        Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
          Let him have his pine tar, it didn't work the last time.
          Well, the Cardinals lost that game and only had 4 hits, so you could kinda say that something worked - pine tar or whatever.
          Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
            Well, the Cardinals lost that game and only had 4 hits, so you could kinda say that something worked - pine tar or whatever.
            OK, but I was talking about the series as a whole.

Anyway, the Cards are going to bust out the whooping stick on him tonight.
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

I'm with Kev - lets get some Tiger meat.

Cards 11 - Tigers 4.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I wonder who's playing first.
                Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
                  I wonder who's playing first.
                  I would guess Yadi or Stavinoha, unless a roster move is made.
                  Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Boy, it really would be nice to bitchslap Mr. Rogers tonight.
                    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

From the 2006 pundits who gave us "Tigers in 3", comes:

Cardinals-Tigers Preview

The Detroit Tigers have been rolling at home, and with St. Louis coming to town, they might have a good chance to continue pleasing their fans.
                      The Tigers will be trying to build on their recent dominance of the Cardinals when the teams open a three-game series Tuesday at Comerica Park.
                      This just in --- the Tigers suck!
                      Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
                      Jesus is . . .

Comment

Recent...dominance?

Comment

Pity we can't start Anthony Reyes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                            Recent...dominance?

I saw that too. They talked all about their regular season matchups....then kinda just threw in that the Cards beat them in 5 games during the world series...then went back to saying how good they've been against us.
                            Official Lounge Sponsor

Comment

Hit it to the pitcher!

Comment

Working...
                              X