Friday Topic - The Best of Jazz Fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Topic - The Best of Jazz Fusion

Please post songs that were based in Jazz but crossed over into the main stream.

For example Chuck Mangione - Feel So Good.

Go - and make me proud.

Yes - all of Santana pretty much qualifies.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Moon

Comment

"the best of jazz fusion" might be one of the great oxymorons in music. Like picking your favorite WWII concentration camp.
      I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
        "the best of jazz fusion" might be one of the great oxymorons in music. Like picking your favorite WWII concentration camp.
        You're right. There is nothing of value in the works of Miles Davis, Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius), Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Carlos Santana, Jack Bruce and a host of others who have dabbled in fusion.

It's not your cup of tea, obviously, but it's a genre filled with some of the best musicians on the planet.

Of course, it's not "Three Semi-In-Tune Chords and The Truth" most favored by rock writers -- you know, the occupation Frank Zappa said consists of people who can't write writing for people who can't read.
        His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
        Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Good point. I've always been torn between Dachau and Treblinka.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
            Good point. I've always been torn between Dachau and Treblinka.

Moon
            Can we get an opinion fron The Torch?
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Some of The Allman Bros songs are great jazz fusion, i.e. "In Memory Of Elizabeth Reed".

When The Allman Bros had one of their break ups, Lamar Williams, Jaimoe and Chuck Leavell left and formed Sea Level and their 1977 self titled album is still one of my favorites......

Comment

Oh I don't know -

Should we punish the public for eventually liking some jazz?

I mean - other than the abomination that is Kenny G - I like it.

For example - Bob James and the Taxi theme.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Would you guys consider Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" in this genre?

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                    Would you guys consider Dave Brubeck's "Take Five" in this genre?
                    No.
                    I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky View Post
                      You're right. There is nothing of value in the works of Miles Davis, Weather Report (Jaco Pastorius), Allan Holdsworth, John McLaughlin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra, Carlos Santana, Jack Bruce and a host of others who have dabbled in fusion.

It's not your cup of tea, obviously, but it's a genre filled with some of the best musicians on the planet.

Of course, it's not "Three Semi-In-Tune Chords and The Truth" most favored by rock writers -- you know, the occupation Frank Zappa said consists of people who can't write writing for people who can't read.
                      I spent 6 years working at the best jazz record store in the country. Take it from the experts, kid. Every dj and jazz enthusiast in North America pretty much has a few discs in their collection either purchased by mail or internet from Euclid Records. Take it from the Euclid ownership, management, and staff: fusion sucks.

Jazz is fantastic. Fusion, not so much.
                      I like cheese.

Comment

From Wiki - pretty good

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jazz_fusion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ion_recordings

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...fusion_artists

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Always entertaining to hear people fight over musical tastes.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                            Always entertaining to hear people fight over musical tastes.

Moon
                            No kidding. To each their own.

Comment

No fighting here, just discussing. Thought that was what this board was for?
                              I like cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X