X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New York City Bans Trans Fat in Restaurants

NYC: No trans fats in restaurants as of July 1

Mon Jun 16, 11:56 AM ET

NEW YORK - Unhealthy trans fats in restaurant food? Not in New York City.

Eateries must remove artificial trans fats from all menu items by July 1.

When first implemented last year, the Health Department ban applied only to fry oils and spreads. It now will also include baked goods, frozen foods, cannoli and doughnuts.

Foods served in original, sealed packaging — such as candy and crackers — are exempt.

The Health Department says that, as of last month, about 98 percent of inspected restaurants were in compliance.

Some food chains and cooking oil manufacturers also have reduced saturated fat by 20 to 35 percent in certain fried foods.
    Moon

First they take all the smut out of Times Square. Then smoking. Now Trans Fat?

I'll vacation elsewhere.

Comment

new york is full of people so I wasn't that psyched about going there anyway. does this make their food taste bad or something?
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

It'll hurt some of the cooking, but I'd still recommend going there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
          It'll hurt some of the cooking, but I'd still recommend going there.
          well, you know, there's teh people thing. SF was a stretch for me but I dealt with it okay because I got to see Alcatraz.
          Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

I can see the smut and the smoking but to bar hefty girlie-men is a step over the line.

Comment

Sounds like even more "Big Brother" to me. Not a good thing.

Comment

Originally posted by wildhorse View Post
                Sounds like even more "Big Brother" to me. Not a good thing.
                I agree.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                  I agree.
                  shocking

Comment

All that's going on in the world, it's damn important we take these extra steps to protect people from themselves.
                    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Can't smoke. Can't eat bad food. We're about a year away from government-mandated treadmill work.
                      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                      --Albert Einstein

Comment

Wouldn't it make more sense to just ban fat people from going out?
                        On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Originally posted by chiguy View Post
                          Wouldn't it make more sense to just ban fat people from going out?
                          It is sad that you would need legislation to get Moon to stay home with you for an evening.
                          If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
                            All that's going on in the world, it's damn important we take these extra steps to protect people from themselves.
                            now if we can pass a law to regulate coffee's temperature.

Comment

Originally posted by hansolo View Post
                              now if we can pass a law to regulate coffee's temperature.
                              All of life's problems could be solved with this simple act.
                              Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

Comment

Working...
                              X