Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Honda's Hydrogen FCX Clarity reaches production

http://www.cnbc.com/id/25188702

If you've read this blog for long, you know how I feel about hydrogen fuel cell cars. Great potential. Limited real world possibilities right now. That said, this morning Honda gave us a glimpse into hydrogen's promise. It began production of its new hydrogen fuel cell car the FCX Clarity.

The company showed the carto reporters in Japan and introduced some of the first customers who will be leasing an FCX for $600 a month. The cars will be leased only in California because that state has the most developed infrastructure of hydrogen re-fueling stations in the U.S.

While the Clarity won't be here until late July, the hype over its mileage is already turning heads. Look at these numbers on the equivalent to gas for this car:
    City: 77 mpg
    Highway: 67 mpg
    Combine 72 mpg
    Range: 280 miles on a tank of hydrogen.
    Honda [HMC 35.45 -0.20 (-0.56%) ] is hoping to plant a flag and steal away some of Toyota's [TM 103.13 0.42 (+0.41%) ] thunder when it comes to "green" cars. Toyota created the halo of good will with the Prius. Since then, other hybrids have come out, and some you could argue, are better than the Prius. Still that car remains king of the "green". Honda would love to see the same thing happen with the FCX Clarity.

I think that's a tall order right now, simply because of the limited distribution for the hydrogen fuel cell car. Sure, they will get plenty of attention. Every TV network, newspaper and magazine will hail its arrival. But in real world terms, I think we need to see the FCX available everywhere before the public equates Honda with hydrogen fuel cell cars. That ain't happening for a while.

Still, let's be clear. Honda's FCX Clarity marks a new day. For the first time ever, there will be a hydrogen fuel cell car available to lease, albeit in small numbers. The potential is amazing. For Honda, the future is finally here.

Sharp looking vehicle too.
    25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
    Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

There are a lot of naysayers when it comes to hydrogen cars. Producing hydrogen is very inefficient and can be as damaging to the environment as burning fossil fuels.

Comment

wonder how much a tank of hydrogen costs?
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

In 2015 there'll be a new movie called:

"Who Killed the Hydrogen Car?"

Comment

Like ethanol, it takes more energy to free hydrogen than you get by burning it. It eats ozone faster than carbon monoxide too.

Comment

Hydrogen eats ozone or the water vapor emissions eat ozone?
            25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
            Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Originally posted by marco View Post
              Hydrogen eats ozone or the water vapor emissions eat ozone?
              Hydrogen eats ozone.

From Space.com

Researchers said in a report Thursday saying that if hydrogen replaced fossil fuels to run everything from cars to power plants, large amounts of hydrogen would drift into the stratosphere as a result of leakage and indirectly cause increased depletion of the ozone.

Comment

I'm going to design a car that runs on the souls of orphan children.
                To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                  Hydrogen eats ozone.

From Space.com
                  It's getting to the point where we're damned if we and damned if we don't.

Comment

Yes, that's right.
                    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

The cars will be leased only in California because that state has the most developed infrastructure of hydrogen re-fueling stations in the U.S.
                      I was unaware we had ANY infrastructure for this.
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                        Per an NPR story i heard a week or so back, only people in a few select cities can lease them because there is at least a couple of places to the tanks filled there. I think there are ~20 places to get it done all told.
                        Sketch in STL
                        Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                          25 stations in operation...

http://www.cafcp.org/fuel-vehl_map.html
                          If you believe in something sacrifice a hobo to it or don't bother.

Comment

Originally posted by sketch View Post
                            Per an NPR story i heard a week or so back, only people in a few select cities can lease them because there is at least a couple of places to the tanks filled there. I think there are ~20 places to get it done all told.
                            Oddly enough, Iceland, of all places, is leading the way when it comes to hydrogen technology.

Comment

Biodiesel shows promise. Waste oil is one of the cheapest fuel sources available, but there isn't enough to replace petroleum. Producing biodiesel could prove to be cost effective and efficient.

Comment

Working...
                              X