Two Computer Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two Computer Questions

Guys, I need some advice on possibly getting a new computer. Since many of you were involved in my last purchase, I figured I'd just get your input, help, and advice from the beginning.

I'm sure many of you recall these epic threads from years past. Honestly, I cannot believe it has been this long and that the Lounge has been together this long.

The initial FedEx/uBid/WinstonSmith thread.

The follow-up.

Well, I eventually did get that computer. It has served me very well, and, probably could continue to serve me well for another year or perhaps more. However, in the last month or so I have noticed a slowdown on a few things. Noticeably, when I have several instances of FireFox running, and multiple tabs on each, FireFox locks and will not allow me to switch tabs. I CAN switch betweens browsers, but I cannot switch tabs w/i a browser. I have also recently purchased MLB.TV and that sucks up some cpu processing.

I realize this computer is getting up there in age. Its not a dual-core or quad-core. Here are the specs for my current computer.

So I guess I have a couple of choices. One thing I was thinking about was just adding more RAM. I currently have 1.5gb of RAM, and the PC has a maximum of 2gb. I can get another 512mb of RAm, to give myself the max of 2GB for $54.

Will that make much of a difference?

The other alternative is to get a new PC entirely. What recommendations do you have for that? I haven't bought a new PC in awhile and am not up to date on all the new stuff and all the things I should know about/get.

To save time, I don't want a Mac. =]

Thanks, everyone, for your time and your input. I really do appreciate it.
    WinstonSmith
    Last edited by WinstonSmith; 06-06-2008, 02:54 PM.
    When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

For shame.
    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

I'm just not comfortable with them... Many of the things I like to do I feel are better on the PC.

And, even if that's not true, at this point in my life, I don't want to relearn how to do the things that I already know how to do. No, I'm talking about word-processing and stuff like that, but copying DVDs, etc. That stuff.

Ohio, I'd love to have a Mac to play around with and learn, but I just don't have the money to have both.
      When you say to your neighbor, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night if that's alright with you," what you really mean is, "We're having a loud party on Saturday night."

Comment

No one has any advice on what to get?

Comment

I think before I spent money on a computer, I'd just try and reinstall Firefox.
          25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
          Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

Doesn't seem like MLB.TV should be chugging on you with that type of PC....I was able to run it on a lower spec system than that last year in the playoffs (1.4 Ghz P4, 784 MB RAM) Mosaic is another story - I couldn't run it on my old machine, but it's butter smooth and fast on my new one. If you're saying that you've got multiple Firefox windows open along with MLB.TV, then I could understand it slowing down.

Sorry, I'll leave the buying advice to others, I just wanted to mention that.

Comment

I have an internet buddy who is probably one of the most respected computer upgrade/tech/builders in the business-at least from a journalism standpoint.

His advice to new computer buyers over the last three months remains the same: buy a $500 Dell with a dual core processor and 2 gigs of memory if you're using XP, 3 if you're going with Vista.
              I like cheese.

Comment

How about reformatting? Back your shit up, and reformat. The see how things go...

Sounds like the main thing your PC does is surf the net... You don't need a new computer for that.
                Photobucket

Comment

Originally posted by WinstonSmith View Post
                  Guys, I need some advice on possibly getting a new computer. Since many of you were involved in my last purchase, I figured I'd just get your input, help, and advice from the beginning.

I'm sure many of you recall these epic threads from years past. Honestly, I cannot believe it has been this long and that the Lounge has been together this long.

The initial FedEx/uBid/WinstonSmith thread.

The follow-up.

Well, I eventually did get that computer. It has served me very well, and, probably could continue to serve me well for another year or perhaps more. However, in the last month or so I have noticed a slowdown on a few things. Noticeably, when I have several instances of FireFox running, and multiple tabs on each, FireFox locks and will not allow me to switch tabs. I CAN switch betweens browsers, but I cannot switch tabs w/i a browser. I have also recently purchased MLB.TV and that sucks up some cpu processing.

I realize this computer is getting up there in age. Its not a dual-core or quad-core. Here are the specs for my current computer.

So I guess I have a couple of choices. One thing I was thinking about was just adding more RAM. I currently have 1.5gb of RAM, and the PC has a maximum of 2gb. I can get another 512mb of RAm, to give myself the max of 2GB for $54.

Will that make much of a difference?

The other alternative is to get a new PC entirely. What recommendations do you have for that? I haven't bought a new PC in awhile and am not up to date on all the new stuff and all the things I should know about/get.

Thanks, everyone, for your time and your input. I really do appreciate it.
                  You don't have heavy requirements, and even if you did, there's going to be a complete new wave at the end of this year (an Intel "tock" cycle, this time called "Nehalem"). So I'd buy the cheapest mass-market PC I could that meets your needs. Trig's suggestion of a $500 dell with 2GB is a good one.

Comment

Here's a link to a site that publishes Dell coupon deals, look for "Inspiron Desktops".

http://www.gotapex.com/

Comment

Oh, and don't even consider spending money to upgrade a P4 box. 512MB won't make that much difference, especially considering that a you can get a gig of DDR2 and put money back in your pocket for that much.

Comment

If all you're doing is web-surfing, I'd also do a disk defrag to see if that fixes things, or a disk cleanup too.
                        I like cheese.

Comment

Watching the MLB Gameday in firefox will cause an error and cause it to close on me as well.
                          Kinda grabs ya by the boo-boo, don't it?

Comment

Runs for me in Firefox. Maybe reinstall it and check to make sure flash has installed correctly?
                            I like cheese.

Comment

Thank you to everyone for the responses.

If I have time today, I am going to save everything, reformat, etc. and see if that solves the issue.

Comment

Working...
                              X