2008 College Football Preseason Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2008 College Football Preseason Discussion

I miss getting all riled up talking about college football here, so I figured this would be a good place for everyone to take pot shots at each other and discuss the upcoming season.

Post any relevant news, opinions, articles, etc here.

I'll start with some preseason rankings and a few other preseason notes from numerous different sources:

ESPN's Mark Schlabach's Early Top 25 for 2008

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/column...ark&id=3388100

Athlon Sports Preseason Top 25
    1. FLORIDA
    2. OHIO STATE
    3. OKLAHOMA
    4. USC
    5. GEORGIA
    6. MISSOURI
    7. WEST VIRGINIA
    8. AUBURN
    9. LSU
    10. CLEMSON
    11. TEXAS
    12. WISCONSIN
    13. KANSAS
    14. BYU
    15. ARIZONA STATE
    16. ILLINOIS
    17. TENNESSEE
    18. TEXAS TECH
    19. OREGON
    20. SOUTH FLORIDA
    21. VIRGINIA TECH
    22. RUTGERS
    23. PENN STATE
    24. WAKE FOREST
    25. FRESNO STATE

Phil Steele's Toughest Schedules of 2008:

Phil Steele's breakdown of who returns the most and least starters:

Phil Steele's preseason All American Team:

You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

No way Kansas is a top 15 team at this point in time. They're way better than they have been in the past, but the lost a lot of very talented players and their schedule got a lot tougher. I still anticipate a bowl game, but nothing like last season.
    On my mind: How can I shut up the singing English graduate student? How many more lossess will KU's basketball team have than its football team? How will the Rams front office screw up this year?

Official lounge sponsor of Will Witherspoon, Russell Robinson, and all other things Jayhawk at the lounge (which ain't much).

Comment

Doubtful that Arkansas will crack the top twenty with its schedule and the key personnel losses they sustained. But I predict they'll be better than most think, that Casey Dick will be the surprise qb in the SEC, and that Bobby Petrino's going to be the best coaching hire of this year. Spring ball showed me that these guys can play when they have a real coach.
      June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

The Buckeyes got 5 more commits over the weekend, bringing the total of committed players in the 2009 class to 23, in June nonetheless. Just sick.

C.J. BarnettDB****6-1181-6.0Clayton, OH
        Dorian Bell LB*****6-02264.56.1Monroeville, PA
        Adam BellamyDT***6-42704.85.7Aurora, OH
        Zach BorenATH***6-02464.615.6Pickerington, OH
        Corey Brown ATH****6-0180-6.0Monroeville, PA
        Duron CarterWR****6-2183-5.6Fort Lauderdale, FL
        Dominic ClarkeDB****5-101834.415.8Frederick, MD
        Melvin FellowsDE****6-5245-6.0Garfield Heights, OH
        Chris FieldsWR****6-01814.395.9Painesville, OH
        Reid FragelTE***6-82514.745.7Grosse Pointe, MI
        Justin GreenDB****5-10178-6.0Louisville, KY
        Jordan HallATH****5-9180-5.8Jeannette, PA
        Adam HomanLB***6-22304.75.6Coldwater, OH
        Carlos HydeRB****6-12304.555.8Naples, FL
        James JacksonWR****6-01754.315.8Grand Ledge, MI
        Storm KleinATH****6-22204.55.8Newark, OH
        Corey LinsleyOL****6-42855.25.8Youngstown , OH
        Bradley McDougald DB****6-01814.55.8Dublin, OH
        Jack MewhortOL****6-62925.355.8Toledo, OH
        Jonathan NewsomeDE***6-22214.85.7Cleveland, OH
        John SimonDT****6-32744.75.9Youngstown, OH
        Jordan WhitingLB****6-02304.716.0Louisville, KY
        Jamie WoodDB****6-21904.486.0Pickerington, OH
        You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Illini will win it all.
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

CFN/Scout.com Heisman, top coach, and National Champion Picks:

- The one guy you’d want coaching your team.

Fiu: I’d probably want Urban Meyer if I could have anyone, but there’s a part of me that wants Georgia Tech’s Paul Johnson in charge. If he could do that at Navy, a team with few real D-I talents, the guy really can coach.

Dennis Dodd: Pete Carroll.

Steve Greenberg: Jim Tressel

Bruce Feldman: Pete Carroll

Richard Cirminiello: Florida’s Urban Meyer. You hire a coach because he knows how to win. Meyer has proven that he wins everywhere he goes.

Teddy Greenstein: Pete Carroll.

- The Heisman winner will be …

Steve Greenberg: Chase Daniel

Fiu: I'm going out on a major limb here and saying it'll be Texas Tech QB Graham Harrell. While I think Tim Tebow will be better, Harrell will win the Heisman based on ungodly numbers put up in a major conference. Just wait. There's going to be an anti-two Heisman thing happening against Tebow to open the door for someone like Harrell to come through. Ohio State's Chris Wells will finish third behind Tebow.

Richard Cirminiello: Ohio State RB Chris Wells. All of the ingredients are in place for Wells to be the seventh Buckeye to win the award. He’ll have the numbers and exposure on a ranked team to never drop below the radar.

Teddy Greenstein: Michael Crabtree

Dennis Dodd: I know I have Tebow at the top of the list but the odds against him repeating are huge. I have a feeling that Chris Wells is going to have a monster year for Ohio State, a school accustomed to winning the Heisman.

Bruce Feldman: I’ll go with Tim Tebow. He’s already got the big name and the personality. Plus, UF will have plenty of weapons for him to work with. I doubt he’ll have the same gaudy stats, but he won’t need them as much. That said, if Beanie Wells can lead OSU to win at USC and go for over 100 yards, I think he could be tough to beat.

Charles Davis: Heisman Winner…Tim Tebow in a repeat if Florida gets a running game

- The national champion will be …

Fiu: Ohio State. The sins of the past two years will be swept away.

Bruce Feldman: Ohio State.

Dennis Dodd: Ohio State

Steve Greenberg: Oklahoma

Dennis Dodd: Ohio State.

Teddy Greenstein: * Georgia
            * subject to change

Richard Cirminiello: Ohio State. The third time is the charm for a Buckeye team that has few flaws and will face an opponent not nearly as fast or daunting as 2006 Florida or 2007 LSU.

Charles Davis: National Champion…Ohio State (third time’s the charm)

Comment

I'm so excited I could pee myself.

Of course this naturally means I will be very disappointed.
              Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
              God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Everyone picking OSU for champs? How many times is it going to take for them to learn?

Comment

Is tOSU's class full now?
                  Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                  -Barry Goldwater

Comment

They have Chase as a 4th Team All American? Behind the kid from Purdue? Interesting.
                    Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

Fourth Team? Oh, I thought they said Short Team All-American.

My bad.

Get it? He's a midget.
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                        Fourth Team? Oh, I thought they said Short Team All-American.

My bad.

Get it? He's a midget.
                        HA! Ha..ha..h.a... ugh.
                        Official Sponsor of all things Mizzou Football, the non-existant Jose Oquendo STOP sign, and the Rally Hoosier!

Comment

Ohio state will march through their soft Big 10 schedule again and then get stomped in another bowl game.

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                            Is tOSU's class full now?

Not quite, they are holding out for a few guys like Jamaal Berry a RB from Florida who is highly thought of and Corey Adams a DT from Arizona as well as a couple of others. They'll probably add 3-5 more.

Comment

Maclin only as a KR on the All American team?

Daniel should be 2nd team QB.

We get no respect.

Just kidding...6th is pretty damn good and those top 5 teams are loaded.
                              TTB
                              Last edited by TTB; 07-18-2008, 11:21 PM.
                              Go Cards ...12 in 13.

Comment

Working...
                              X