AL West: Anaheim

NL East: Philadelphia
    NL Central: Cubs
    NL West: Arizona

AL Wild Card: Boston
    NL Wild Card: St. Louis
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

I'll be at Fenway for Garza vs. Masterson tomorrow night.

Just thought you'd all want to know.

Comment

It looks like White Sox GM Kenny Williams isn't a fan of Ozzie Guillen's tirade yesterday...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

You'd say the clock was ticking, if they weren't in first place and all.

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
          You'd say the clock was ticking, if they weren't in first place and all.
          Yeah, I didn't understand him from that angle or he throwing his hitting coach under the bus...

I do understand from the angle that Nick Swisher, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are sucking a bit...

Comment

BUSTER OLNEY
            WEBLOG

Guillen completely out of lineposted: Monday, June 2, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

The manager is supposed to be the steely force at the helm, the leader who remains calm in the face of every blustery slump, the person who maintains perspective (at least in public) on behalf of those around him.

What Ozzie Guillen did in his rant after Sunday's loss to Tampa Bay runs counter to all that. He was angry and basically said he won't take it anymore after he watched the White Sox's hitters get shut down again. Guillen insisted that changes must be made, whether with the hitting coach, the lineup or the manager.

Guillen has firmly established that he does things a little differently than other managers; he is the Charles Barkley of baseball. But think about all the earth he scorched with his tirade.

• No. 1: He ignored the fact that the White Sox are still in first place in the AL Central -- especially when he said that the team can't win with its current offense.

• No. 2: He ignored the fact that Chicago was shut down by one of the best teams in the majors, Tampa Bay, which also has the best home ERA in the majors. It's not as if the White Sox got stifled by a Triple-A team.

• No. 3: He played the blame game and aimed a finger, albeit a general one, at his players. That's something players generally don't like.

• No. 4: He included his own hitting coach, the embattled Greg Walker, in listing a series of possible changes. I don't know whether Guillen wants Walker out, but either way, Walker probably doesn't appreciate the fact that he is the only person in uniform whom Guillen mentioned by name.

• No. 5: In a major faux pas, Guillen essentially backed GM Kenny Williams into a corner, saying that if Williams doesn't make player changes, then he will. And as the Chicago Tribune's Mark Gonzales reports, Williams was greatly annoyed:

"It's just not a good idea to throw your boss under the bus, especially when that boss has had your back as much as I have had his," Williams wrote in an e-mail. "I expect this team, if the leadership remains positive and the players stick together and continue to play hard, it will be a fun summer.

"The offense will begin to produce when collectively they say, 'The hell with all the theories, stay loose, pick the pitch you want to hit and hit it hard.' It will be nice to see them lighten up and have some fun."

There's no questioning the White Sox have issues, and the changes Guillen might consider could involve some big names -- Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Nick Swisher, who are all hitting .212 or lower.

But this rant is something different from Guillen. From time to time, he's been profane, he's been impolitic, he's been absurd, and he's needed a lecture from Major League Baseball's human resources department. But he has never -- never -- placed Williams in the position that the GM is in now.

If Williams reacts to his manager's overreaction by making a roster move, then he'll look a little bit like a lackey; it'll look like the tail is wagging the White Sox's dog. If Williams does nothing, he'll look as if he's going toe-to-toe with his manager and ignoring Guillen's evaluation that the White Sox cannot win as they are constructed. Considering how often Williams has had Guillen's back, this is surprising.

We always hear that Guillen is crazy like a fox, but not this time. This time, what he said was just plain inappropriate for any manager to say.

Comment

I'd expect an apology from Guillen within the hour.
              Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                Yeah, I didn't understand him from that angle or he throwing his hitting coach under the bus...

I do understand from the angle that Nick Swisher, Jim Thome and Paul Konerko are sucking a bit...
                Also Uribe, who is/was supposed to be the starting 2B.
                Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                  Also Uribe, who is/was supposed to be the starting 2B.
                  But they knew he sucked.

So tired of Guillen's act.

Comment

Your leaders.

AL East: Tampa Bay (yes! in June!)
                    AL Central: White Sox
                    AL West: Anaheim

NL East: Philadelphia
                    NL Central: Cubs
                    NL West: Arizona

AL Wild Card: Boston
                    NL Wild Card: St. Louis
                    I would love to beat the Cubs in the NLCS and spoil their forgone conclusion of a 100-year World Series.
                    Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                    "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Looks like the Brewers are starting to heat up finally.
                      Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

With a 1-2 so far today, Jim Edmonds' AVG has peeked over .200.

Comment

Marmol just served up a 3-run shot and the Cub lead is down to 1 in the 9th.

1 out, and I guess Wood is coming in.

Barrett JUST misses tying the game, and the Cubs hold on.

Comment

BUSTER OLNEY
                            WEBLOG

Guillen completely out of lineposted: Monday, June 2, 2008 | Feedback | Print Entry

The manager is supposed to be the steely force at the helm, the leader who remains calm in the face of every blustery slump, the person who maintains perspective (at least in public) on behalf of those around him.

What Ozzie Guillen did in his rant after Sunday's loss to Tampa Bay runs counter to all that. He was angry and basically said he won't take it anymore after he watched the White Sox's hitters get shut down again. Guillen insisted that changes must be made, whether with the hitting coach, the lineup or the manager.

Guillen has firmly established that he does things a little differently than other managers; he is the Charles Barkley of baseball. But think about all the earth he scorched with his tirade.

• No. 1: He ignored the fact that the White Sox are still in first place in the AL Central -- especially when he said that the team can't win with its current offense.

• No. 2: He ignored the fact that Chicago was shut down by one of the best teams in the majors, Tampa Bay, which also has the best home ERA in the majors. It's not as if the White Sox got stifled by a Triple-A team.

• No. 3: He played the blame game and aimed a finger, albeit a general one, at his players. That's something players generally don't like.

• No. 4: He included his own hitting coach, the embattled Greg Walker, in listing a series of possible changes. I don't know whether Guillen wants Walker out, but either way, Walker probably doesn't appreciate the fact that he is the only person in uniform whom Guillen mentioned by name.

• No. 5: In a major faux pas, Guillen essentially backed GM Kenny Williams into a corner, saying that if Williams doesn't make player changes, then he will. And as the Chicago Tribune's Mark Gonzales reports, Williams was greatly annoyed:

"It's just not a good idea to throw your boss under the bus, especially when that boss has had your back as much as I have had his," Williams wrote in an e-mail. "I expect this team, if the leadership remains positive and the players stick together and continue to play hard, it will be a fun summer.

"The offense will begin to produce when collectively they say, 'The hell with all the theories, stay loose, pick the pitch you want to hit and hit it hard.' It will be nice to see them lighten up and have some fun."

There's no questioning the White Sox have issues, and the changes Guillen might consider could involve some big names -- Jim Thome, Paul Konerko and Nick Swisher, who are all hitting .212 or lower.

But this rant is something different from Guillen. From time to time, he's been profane, he's been impolitic, he's been absurd, and he's needed a lecture from Major League Baseball's human resources department. But he has never -- never -- placed Williams in the position that the GM is in now.

If Williams reacts to his manager's overreaction by making a roster move, then he'll look a little bit like a lackey; it'll look like the tail is wagging the White Sox's dog. If Williams does nothing, he'll look as if he's going toe-to-toe with his manager and ignoring Guillen's evaluation that the White Sox cannot win as they are constructed. Considering how often Williams has had Guillen's back, this is surprising.

We always hear that Guillen is crazy like a fox, but not this time. This time, what he said was just plain inappropriate for any manager to say.

Holy crap - If I hear one more person use the phrase "under the bus" in covering this story I may literally throw myself under a bus.

I had Mike and Mike on this morning and I shit you not, between Mike, Mike and Steve Phillips, I swear they used it 6 times in about 20 seconds and then I changed the channel.

Can we pleeeeeeease get a new metaphor?
                            Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by ShortHop View Post
                              Holy crap - If I hear one more person use the phrase "under the bus" in covering this story I may literally throw myself under a bus.

I had Mike and Mike on this morning and I shit you not, between Mike, Mike and Steve Phillips, I swear they used it 6 times in about 20 seconds and then I changed the channel.

Can we pleeeeeeease get a new metaphor?
                              Maybe it was like throwing mama from the train? Overcooking the meats on the smoker?

Comment

Working...
                              X