Mulder: I'd sooner retire than have another surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mulder: I'd sooner retire than have another surgery

I posted the Bird Land blog bit earlier, but the P-D has an updated article with quotes...

Tis a shame...

"I told (Paletta) later, 'If you would have said something was torn, I would have got up and I would have walked out,'" Mulder said. "Then I would have left. ... I wouldn't do it. I'll take it to the house before that happens. I'm done. There's no way they're going back in there."

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Who has the bigger labia, Mulder or JD Drew?
    RIP Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Brummerball View Post
      Who has the bigger labia, Mulder or JD Drew?
      Gimme a break...

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        Gimme a break...
        Well, the MRI says the shoulder is fine. Of course "something isn't right". I guess I'm just tired of reading and hearing about Mulder. I'm to the point now where I just wish he'd go away. Take Clement with him. I don't care when he plays catch, throws BP, or goes on a rehab assignment. Wake me up when he can pitch in the majors again. I'm willing to bet a lot of pitchers have pitched their way through far worse than what Mulder is going through right now.
        RIP Dave

Comment

Yeah, it's not like you can't tell Mulder is injured. He's a fairly young man still but he can't get within 10 mph of what his fastball used to be. He's not dogging it--he just realizes that his career is very likely over and done with.
          I like cheese.

Comment

I'm willing to bet a lot of pitchers have pitched their way through far worse than what Mulder is going through right now.
            Really? You're saying that if Mulder really wanted to, he could throw 93 again? That all things being equal, he could bring it to the plate and snap off curveballs like he did in 2002-2004 and the only thing holding him back is that he doesn't feel like doing it?
            I like cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
              Really? You're saying that if Mulder really wanted to, he could throw 93 again? That all things being equal, he could bring it to the plate and snap off curveballs like he did in 2002-2004 and the only thing holding him back is that he doesn't feel like doing it?
              I gotta agree. He WANTS to do it, I just don't think he can; and by the sound of it he's pretty sick of doing the surgery/rehab/ok, surgery again/rehab stints.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

No. I think everyone knows he's done. I'm saying that he could be out there pitching (or at least trying to pitch) with whatever it is that ails him right now. Maybe I'm just an ass. I don't get the feeling that cashing the checks from the DL really bothers him all that much. Just my opinion. Feel free to crucify.
                RIP Dave

Comment

Regarding the MRI and the shoulder: it is absolutely possible for an MRI to show no damage...but this is soft connective tissue in a joint--everything could be where it's supposed to be, but that doesn't mean that the joint is capable of doing what it once did. Think of a rubberband that's been stretched out completely; it isn't broken, but neither can it snap like it could when it was new.
                  I like cheese.

Comment

No. I think everyone knows he's done. I'm saying that he could be out there pitching (or at least trying to pitch) with whatever it is that ails him right now. Maybe I'm just an ass. I don't get the feeling that cashing the checks from the DL really bothers him all that much. Just my opinion. Feel free to crucify.
                    Yeah, he could be out there throwing 84 mph fastballs to set up a 73 mph curveball that rolls instead of breaks. There are guys at CH Park who'll take that garbage over the wall pretty routinely.
                    I like cheese.

Comment

Yeah, he could be out there throwing 84 mph fastballs to set up a 73 mph curveball that rolls instead of breaks. There are guys at CH Park who'll take that garbage over the wall pretty routinely.
                      Some people learn how to do it, believe it or not. Jamie Moyer can't touch 84. Glavine doesn't throw much harder than that. But one thing is for sure, you have to actually pitch to pull it off.
                      RIP Dave

Comment

Well, the MRI says the shoulder is fine. Of course "something isn't right". I guess I'm just tired of reading and hearing about Mulder. I'm to the point now where I just wish he'd go away. Take Clement with him. I don't care when he plays catch, throws BP, or goes on a rehab assignment. Wake me up when he can pitch in the majors again. I'm willing to bet a lot of pitchers have pitched their way through far worse than what Mulder is going through right now.
                        If he pitched at the ML-level, he wouldn't be effective at all and if he can't even get atop his pitches, there's no point in continuing...the comparison is ridiculous...

You'll likely never be woken up b/c that shoulder looks to be shot...

Comment

Some people learn how to do it, believe it or not. Jamie Moyer can't touch 84. Glavine doesn't throw much harder than that. But one thing is for sure, you have to actually pitch to pull it off.
                          Moyer and Glavine both throw screwballs and circle changes. While neither guy throws hard, both guys also have breaking pitches that break sharply.

Mulder throws neither of those two pitches. He's always needed a solid fastball to set up his curveball, which was always more of a sweeping pitch than a tight breaking curve. If he doesn't have the fastball, he can't throw the curve effectively, and he might as well forget about the slider as well.

If every guy who could get it up to the plate at 80 mph could pitch like Jamie Moyer and Tom Glavine, don't you think there wouldn't be much of a shortage of pitchers out there?
                          I like cheese.

Comment

Moyer and Glavine both throw screwballs and circle changes. While neither guy throws hard, both guys also have breaking pitches that break sharply.

Mulder throws neither of those two pitches. He's always needed a solid fastball to set up his curveball, which was always more of a sweeping pitch than a tight breaking curve. If he doesn't have the fastball, he can't throw the curve effectively, and he might as well forget about the slider as well.

If every guy who could get it up to the plate at 80 mph could pitch like Jamie Moyer and Tom Glavine, don't you think there wouldn't be much of a shortage of pitchers out there?
                            That's the thing: Mulder says he can't come "over the top" while pitching, which negates his curve...

Now if he picked up on throwing sidearm, he might have a shot...

Comment

Took the words right out of my typing fingers, trig.
                              *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Working...
                              X