Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (W) Houston(Oswalt) vs Cardinals(Lohse) 7:15CDT

Let's go for the series win...

It’s been nearly three years since Houston Astros pitcher Roy Oswalt failed to deliver a quality start against the St. Louis Cardinals. The way things are going for the right-hander lately, however, that streak could be in jeopardy.
    Off to the worst start of his eight-year career, Oswalt looks to begin rebounding on Thursday night when he takes the mound at Busch Stadium in the finale of a three-game series between the NL Central rivals.
    Oswalt has been one of baseball’s best starters since his 2001 rookie season, leading the majors with 116 wins since his big-league debut and ranking near the top with a 3.19 ERA in that stretch.
    But Oswalt (4-4, 5.61 ERA) hasn’t looked at all like a dominant pitcher in 2008. His ERA is more than two points higher than his previous career high of 3.49, and he ranks in the NL’s top two for the most runs (45), hits (85) and home runs (15) allowed.
    Series at a Glance

1. Houston 8
      St. Louis 2
      Tue, May 27 - Final
    2. Houston 1
      St. Louis 6
      Wed, May 28 - Final
    3. Houston at
      St. Louis
      Thu, May 29 - 8:15 pm ET

“I haven’t been comfortable all year,” Oswalt said after getting tagged for five runs and 11 hits in six innings as Houston (30-24) lost 7-5 to Philadelphia last Thursday. “I’ve had some quality starts, but I haven’t gotten in that zone where I feel like I can throw a seven- or eight-inning shutout. Every inning feels like a battle.”
    That hasn’t been the case in his career against St. Louis (31-23). Including the postseason, Oswalt is 11-5 with a 2.91 ERA in 28 career games against the Cardinals. He’s 7-0 with a 1.56 ERA in 12 outings against them - all quality starts - since Sept. 27, 2005.
    To reclaim that form, Oswalt says he’s just going to keep things simple.
    “A lot of people put in their two cents,” he told the Astros’ official Web site. “But you know your body and you know what you can do when you get on the mound. It’s just overcoming the mental part of it.”
    The Astros are hoping for a vintage Oswalt performance against St. Louis as they try to pull back into a second-place tie in the division. Houston caught up with the Cardinals with a victory in the series opener, but fell one game back with a 6-1 defeat on Wednesday night.
    Starter Adam Wainwright continued his dominance of Houston for eight innings as St. Louis won for the seventh time in 10 games.
    “We just played well,” Cardinals manager Tony La Russa told the team’s official Web site. “But I guarantee you we got a little extra juice because of the way our starter pitched.”
    With Wainwright controlling the game, the Astros managed only one run and four hits. It was their worst offensive performance since they had four hits in a 5-1 loss to the Cardinals on April 27. Kyle Lohse (4-2, 4.26) pitched six strong innings in that game, and he’ll look for a repeat performance on Thursday.
    The right-hander held the Los Angeles Dodgers to six hits in six innings of a 4-0 win on Saturday - his first victory since the win over Houston.
    Lohse is 2-4 with a 3.51 ERA in six career games against the Astros. Houston outfielder Carlos Lee is a career .370 hitter with three home runs and six doubles against Lohse.
    St. Louis first baseman Albert Pujols, meanwhile, is batting .299 with three homers and five doubles against Oswalt.
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Go Cards. Go davhaf!
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

ugh. I dont' care if oswalt sucks lately. I'm scared of him.
      Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Time to talk myself into Oswalt is going to turn the corner with this start.

Split the first two and then have your ace pitching the rubber game. You can't expect more than that on the road. Now he just needs to pitch like an ace and hope the defense doesn't kick the ball around.

Comment

Get em davhaf.
          Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
          God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Go Cards! Go Dave! You da Man!
            RIP Stan the Man
            The StL Blues will NEVER win the Stanley Cup. I repeat, NEVER!
            I miss TLR!

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
              Time to talk myself into Oswalt is going to turn the corner with this start.

Split the first two and then have your ace pitching the rubber game. You can't expect more than that on the road. Now he just needs to pitch like an ace and hope the defense doesn't kick the ball around.
              He’s 7-0 with a 1.56 ERA in 12 outings against the Cardinals - all quality starts - since Sept. 27, 2005.
              If I was a betting man, I would bet on the 'Stros. He kills us.
              Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
                If I was a betting man, I would bet on the 'Stros. He kills us.
                I'm sure this is the slump buster he has been looking for<_<
                Sketch in STL
                Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Oswalt, eh?

Loss.
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                  OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Tonight's lineup, via Bernie...

Miles 6
                    Ankiel 8
                    Pujols 3
                    Ludwick 9
                    Glaus 5
                    Duncan 7
                    LaRue 2
                    Lohse
                    Kennedy 4

-B

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

WOOHOO!!!! DUNCAN!!!!!
                      Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
                      -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
                        WOOHOO!!!! DUNCAN!!!!!
                        This lineup is a big F-U to bernie

Comment

Meanwhile, the Royals sent down one of my favorites, outfielder/1B/DH Billy Butler....

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                            Meanwhile, the Royals sent down one of my favorites, outfielder/1B/DH Billy Butler....
                            They have to blame somebody for the 10 game losing streak.

Comment

I like this lineup much less than last night's.

Comment

Working...
                              X