No announcement yet.

Instant replay in baseball: yes or no?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Instant replay in baseball: yes or no?

I try not to be a Luddite, but I say no. Because if you start using it for home run calls, then people will start beating the drum to use it for judging catch/trap in the outfield, plays at first base, plays at home...I can't see how you keep it in the box.
    Yes
    73.68%
    No
    26.32%
    Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Only in the postseason, and you only get one red flag per series.

Comment

I think it would be ok...other sports, particularly the NFL, have done a pretty good job at defining what is and isn't reviewable and have held the line on it...baseball should be able to do the same...although I guess I must remind myself that I'm speaking of a league run by Bud Selig, he of the cancelled World Series, tie All-Star game, and steroid scandal...
      " Look, forget the myths the media's created about the White House--the truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
        Only in the postseason, and you only get one red flag per series.
        That'd be about the only way I would be ok with it. We could have used one in 1985... sigh...
        25MM jobs in 10 years / 4% GDP Growth / Insurance for everybody / Schools flush with cash don't produce results
        Jan 2017: 4.7% U-3, 9.2% U-6, 62.7% LFPR, 5.2% Real Wages, 2.6% GDP, 19,827 DJIA, 2,271 S&P500, $2.316/gal

Comment

I'm leaning no.

As I think back, it seems that about half the time I am happy about the questionable calls and about half the time I'm not.

Sorta' like a good compromise, both sides are just a little pissed at the end..........

Comment

I've been in favor of it for home runs and fair/foul near the fence, but I'm beginning to fear expanded use after that. The f-ing DH was supposed to be an experiment and the damn thing is rampant in all of baseball.

It is an opportunity to create five-man umpiring crews. The replay umpire could be used to solve knotty rule problems, help in post-game evaluation, and become an unbiased official scorer.

If it is used for only what they are proposing and implement the additional umpire then I vote yes.
            The Redman

Sponsorship Available
            Official Sponsor of Rafael Furcal

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
              I try not to be a Luddite, but I say no. Because if you start using it for home run calls, then people will start beating the drum to use it for judging catch/trap in the outfield, plays at first base, plays at home...I can't see how you keep it in the box.
              Why would you want to keep it in the box? Baseball can use all the replay it can get as quickly as possible. In today's USA Today that had Paul White (editor of Sports Weekly) argue against replay. His main arguments? 1 -- Yes, the umpires blew a bunch of home run calls, but as the season goes on things will even out because the umps will blow more home run calls and teams that got screwed this time around will benefit from the screw ups that will come. 2 -- It's quaint to see games won or lost on an umpiring mistake. It's that human element that makes sports so beautiful.

These are the arguments against replay?

Jeebus.
              This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

Yes for homeruns and fair/foul calls. Nothing else.
                --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                --Suck it cubbies.
                --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Originally posted by joe_w View Post
                  Why would you want to keep it in the box? Baseball can use all the replay it can get as quickly as possible.
                  We can all look forward to the laser chips in the ball that electronically register ball/strike calls.

Comment

We can all look forward to the laser chips in the ball that electronically register ball/strike calls.
                    You don't need that. They have TV, now, kah. If ESPN can call balls and strikes from the TV booth, anyone can.
                    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

for sure, but with limitations on what can be challenged. and you only get one challenge per game.
                      ricky, shutup and paint your god damn house.

Comment

Originally posted by joe_w View Post
                        You don't need that. They have TV, now, kah. If ESPN can call balls and strikes from the TV booth, anyone can.
                        Yes, they have TV. So we can make all ball/strike calls reviewable, yes?

Comment

Homerun calls only and start with it just in the playoffs. They go with the extra umpires in the post season so why not one more to review home run balls.

Comment

Originally posted by yankees suck! View Post
                            for sure, but with limitations on what can be challenged. and you only get one challenge per game.
                            I can go along with that, however I wouldn't mind seeing an official call for a challenge from the booth if there's more than one questionable call. I/E two iffy home run calls.

I'd also like it used on whether or not a tag was applied.
                            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

wouldn't want the strike zone to be accurate, that would be horrible.

Comment

Working...
                              X