Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Millstadt, IL man has 10 DUI arrests. 6 in illinois - 4 in MO.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Millstadt, IL man has 10 DUI arrests. 6 in illinois - 4 in MO.

http://www.bnd.com/homepage/story/351131.html

BY GEORGE PAWLACZYK
    Belleville News-Democrat

MILLSTADT --If he had access to Sunday's News-Democrat in jail, Matthew B. Roth could have read a front-page article about his five previous drunken driving charges as he sat facing a sixth DUI lodged just hours before the paper was delivered.

The 48-year-old Roth, formerly of West Harrison Street, Millstadt, was being held Sunday on $15,000 bail in the St. Clair County Jail on misdemeanor charges filed by the St. Clair County Sheriff's Department of drunken driving and driving on a suspended license following a one-car crash.

Millstadt Police Chief Ed Wilkerson, whose officers also responded, said a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Roth was driving was pulled from a ditch about 1:30 a.m. Sunday in the 6100 Block of Floraville Road and towed to a nearby towing company yard.

Roth was the subject of a news report about the complexities of the state's drunken driving laws. Despite being charged with five DUIs in less than a year, Roth still had a valid driver's license when he was charged with drunken driving in Millstadt on Feb. 13, when he smashed his pickup truck into a vehicle parked in a sheriff's deputy's driveway, police said. A suspension for a fourth DUI received when Fairview Heights police charged him on Jan. 18, did not kick in until March 3.

Roth's record from St. Clair County Circuit Court showed that for three of the five DUI arrests, a judge dismissed the automatic suspension that is supposed to occur, although the criminal counts still stand.

St. Clair County State's Attorney Robert Haida said in a written statement that in these three cases the suspensions were dismissed on a request from the defense because Millstadt police officers did not show up for a hearing.

Wilkerson said had his officers been notified, they would have shown up.

The first DUI lodged against Roth in April 2007, several months after his Illinois driver's license was restored following a lengthy suspension, was reduced to reckless conduct not involving a motor vehicle. Haida's statement said that the reduction was, "based upon the evidence."

In Missouri, Roth was convicted of four counts of DUI in the 1990s, six counts of driving on a revoked or suspended license and one count of fleeing the scene of an accident.

In Illinois, including the latest DUI, Roth faces five drunken driving counts plus the following misdemeanors: aggravated assault of a police officer, fleeing and attempting to elude police, resisting a peace officer and leaving the scene of an accident. He also has a felony charge accusing him of damaging a telephone in a jail cell at the Fairview Heights Police Department.

Roth's attorney, self-described "DUI King," Tom Daley of Belleville, could not be reached for comment on Sunday.

Lock his ass up until he gets off the booze. I guess he's going to have to kill someone before he finally gets punished?
    Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
      Lock his ass up until he gets off the booze. I guess he's going to have to kill someone before he finally gets punished?
      +++
      Make America Great For Once.

Comment

St. Clair County State's Attorney Robert Haida said in a written statement that in these three cases the suspensions were dismissed on a request from the defense because Millstadt police officers did not show up for a hearing.
        Millstadt police are glaringly incompetent? Color me shocked.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
          Makes me wonder did they get paid not to show?

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
            Makes me wonder did they get paid not to show?
            They only have one police car. I'm sure it was too busy at the time to get the officers to the courthouse. But don't worry, Kev; if you were to cross in to the city limits, you'd be pulled over swiftly.

Comment

If this man had been ridiculed in kindergarten, this might never have happened.

SOMEBODY HAS TO DO SOMETHING!!1111
              His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
              Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky View Post
                If this man had been ridiculed in kindergarten, this might never have happened.

SOMEBODY HAS TO DO SOMETHING!!1111

Perhaps he was voted "Most Likely to become a drunk" in school and this led him down the path of drunken driving.
                I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

They only have one police car. I'm sure it was too busy at the time to get the officers to the courthouse. But don't worry, Kev; if you were to cross in to the city limits, you'd be pulled over swiftly.
                  I have been there and I was stopped back in 84. I was still in the USAF and was stationed at Scott. I was returning from a picnic at one of the civilian worker's home in Columbia on the 4th of July. Dude was definately not happy to see anyone of color in his town, but he backed way down when I showed him my military ID, plus the Coomander of the M.A.C weather command came upon the scene within four or five minutes. He was at the same party. I've never ever been back.

Comment

I was at a Fireman's Picnic or some such thing there a couple of years ago, and a black guy and a white guy I know got in to it a little bit. The black guy ended up cold cocking the white guy. Now, keep in mind, both of these guys were my age; 16, 17. Not five minutes later, a group of about 15-20 grown men come marching by with, I shit you not, a Confederate flag on a pole. Apparently the guy who did the punching had the sense to haul ass and leave after doing so, but I damn near saw a lynching.

Comment

I was at a Fireman's Picnic or some such thing there a couple of years ago, and a black guy and a white guy I know got in to it a little bit. The black guy ended up cold cocking the white guy. Now, keep in mind, both of these guys were my age; 16, 17. Not five minutes later, a group of about 15-20 grown men come marching by with, I shit you not, a Confederate flag on a pole. Apparently the guy who did the punching had the sense to haul ass and leave after doing so, but I damn near saw a lynching.
                      Unfortunately, that can happen just about anywhere. I hate when a black and white get into it in public. No matter who was in the wrong, the sides are almost always chosen along racial lines.

Comment

Fight, fight!
                        Darkie and a white!
                        If the whitey don't win, we'll all jump in!

Substitute darkie for a far more offensive term. I first heard this at recess in 2nd grade. God bless the redneck town my parents decided to settle in.

Comment

The whole city has more boozefests for any occasion than I can recall compared to other local municipalities.

10 DUI's? Pffft.

I think my mom's neighbor had 12.

Comment

David Lee Roth's brother?

Sponsor of:
                            Brian Elliott
                            Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                            5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                              David Lee Roth's brother?

"Can he sing? How does he look in leather assless chaps?" --EVH

Comment

Working...
                              X