• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk show host fired for remarks about Sen. Kennedy

Shock jock Madden fired from station
    Tuesday, May 27, 2008
    By Bob Smizik, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    Controversial talk-show host Mark Madden has been fired by ESPN. The decision was made at the network's corporate headquarters in Bristol, Conn.
    It comes five days after Madden made an inflammatory statement about Sen. Edward Kennedy.
    "We've taken Mark off the air pursuant to our contractual rights," said Josh Krulewitz, the network's vice president for public relations. On his radio show Wednesday, Madden said the following about Sen. Kennedy, who days earlier had been diagnosed with brain cancer:
    "I'm very disappointed to hear Sen. Ted Kennedy of Massachusetts is near death because of a brain tumor. I always hoped Senator Kennedy would live long enough to be assassinated." (He also went on to say "I wonder if the Kopechnes sent him a card." - J.S.)

Madden was last heard on his show Thursday, the day before his comments appeared in the Post-Gazette.
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08148/885212-100.stm

Ironically, the person who wrote this article was the one who originally wrote an article saying that Madden's comments were out of line.

He didn't mean it.

kah

Comment

Isn't this guy known as a douche bag? I believe his name came up on that recent Bob Costas show where that bitter old man started screaming at that blogger.

He'll find work again soon.

Comment

So DID the Kopechnes send flowers?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
          So DID the Kopechnes send flowers?
          With a note -- "Didn't want to miss the fun. Use soon."

Comment

Maybe he can take one last drive along the coast before he goes....

Nothing like reminiscing...

Comment

Yawn. Shit like this is ridiculous. The primary reason companies fire guys like this is because of the threat that sponsors are going to pull out. Why do the sponsors pull out? Because they think people are not going to use their products because of their affiliation with the aforementioned organization/individual.

That's complete horseshit.

Your average person isn't going to boycott, no matter how offensive they find something. Seriously, when's the last time a company really took a financial hit because of something that was done by a person who's platform of speech was sponsor by said company? People are too lazy. For every ten letters of complaint an advertiser might receive, MAYBE two or three of those people will actually boycott for at least a week or two. MAYBE. You hire someone to do something and then when they do it, you bow to some non-existent pressure and fire the guy.

I mean, it's not as though he called the good senator a nappy-headed 'ho or anything...
              The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
                Isn't this guy known as a douche bag? I believe his name came up on that recent Bob Costas show where that bitter old man started screaming at that blogger.

He'll find work again soon.
                Yeah, he's labeled as a big time d-bag around most parts of Pittsburgh, yet still pulls big ratings. He insults callers, insults 99% of the Steeler Nation (a big no-no in Pittsburgh), speaks ill of anything that is outside of Pittsburgh, and from what I read on wiki it looks like he's burned a lot of bridges along the way. I'm not a big fan of his, but when he does talk Penguins hockey, he does seem knowledgeable. I remember earlier this year when they showed his fat mug on the jumbotron, the majority of the 17k in the arena booed him.

Even though he is hated, I imagine he won't be out of work long. FoxRadio's 3-7 has been a trainwreck since one of the longtime hosts got the boot a few years back. I know Madden has made comments about "that other channel", but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if he got picked up by them within the month.

Comment

Originally posted by skippy05 View Post
                  Yawn. Shit like this is ridiculous. The primary reason companies fire guys like this is because of the threat that sponsors are going to pull out. Why do the sponsors pull out? Because they think people are not going to use their products because of their affiliation with the aforementioned organization/individual.

That's complete horseshit.

Your average person isn't going to boycott, no matter how offensive they find something. Seriously, when's the last time a company really took a financial hit because of something that was done by a person who's platform of speech was sponsor by said company? People are too lazy. For every ten letters of complaint an advertiser might receive, MAYBE two or three of those people will actually boycott for at least a week or two. MAYBE. You hire someone to do something and then when they do it, you bow to some non-existent pressure and fire the guy.

I mean, it's not as though he called the good senator a nappy-headed 'ho or anything...
                  Maybe they sacked him because it was simply the right thing to do?

Nah. Probably not.

Comment

Is there any shread of human decency and respect left? I see absolutely zero entertainment in wishing someone to be killed.
                    Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Many of these guys act like a horse's ass to get noticed. Stir the pot to increase the ratings but when they stir it too much they get run.

From what js says this guy sounds like what one of the Houston hosts is trying to be. If you count ESPN Radio (half national shows and half local) there are 4 sports talk stations in town. This one guy is trying to be the local pot banger. Some Yankee from New York who doesn't know shit about the local teams but wants everyone to boo and start petitions.

His big thing last week was everyone should boo Brad Lidge even though the guy was traded and was one of most professional players I've ever seen. When he was money he never got cocky and when he struggled he answered every question. Most asked a thousand times.

Comment

Originally posted by Reggie Cleveland View Post
                        Maybe they sacked him because it was simply the right thing to do?

Nah. Probably not.
                        I'm not saying he didn't deserve it. Just saying that it's bullshit when a company encourages a person to behave a certain way and then fires them for it and gives the excuse of advertisers dropping out or that it violates some morality clause.
                        The OFFICIAL Lounge Sponsor of:

Comment

Originally posted by Sheriff Blaylock View Post
                          Many of these guys act like a horse's ass to get noticed. Stir the pot to increase the ratings but when they stir it too much they get run.

From what js says this guy sounds like what one of the Houston hosts is trying to be. If you count ESPN Radio (half national shows and half local) there are 4 sports talk stations in town. This one guy is trying to be the local pot banger. Some Yankee from New York who doesn't know shit about the local teams but wants everyone to boo and start petitions.

His big thing last week was everyone should boo Brad Lidge even though the guy was traded and was one of most professional players I've ever seen. When he was money he never got cocky and when he struggled he answered every question. Most asked a thousand times.

How are you feeling right now, Brad?

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
                            Is there any shread of human decency and respect left? I see absolutely zero entertainment in wishing someone to be killed.
                            You obviously have not been watching the Stanley Cup Finals this year.
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                              You obviously have not been watching the Stanley Cup Finals this year.
                              Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                              X