Cubs censoring LF bleachers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cubs censoring LF bleachers

So, I guess that last night at the Cubs game, Wrigley field security warned everyone in the LF bleachers that if they had better be careful about what they said toward Alfonso Soriano or they would be kicked out of Wrigley.

The only thing I've found in print is here:

In fact, a Cubs official offered protection for Soriano, instructing left-field bleacherites before Monday's game that any profane or inappropriate comments made toward Soriano would result in their immediate ejection.
    I first heard this when a guys called into a radio show last night from the bleachers and said that "a PR guy is warning everyone that if we boo or yell anything negative about Soriano that we will be ejected."

I didn't believe it at first, but it's been all over TV and radio today with the statments bering pretty ambiguous and ranging from people saying they were told they couldn't "cross the line" to "say anything deragatory".

No matter what, the strange part is that warnings were ONLY given in LF and no where else in the park.

I'm looking forward to this developing and seeing how the cubs back track on it.
    Of course you do.

What a pussy.

Comment

I sat in the LF bleachers yesterday, and this is mostly true. I was getting a beer at the time, but apparently the crowd control guys were warning people before the game not to give Soriano any guff. According to my friends (Cubs fans), the guy near us said something along the lines of, "You can't say anything worse than 'suck'" toward Soriano, or you'd get ejected. Now, you would think that would apply more generally, but that's obviously not the case in the bleachers normally.

Didn't see this actually applied to anyone, but I also didn't hear anybody heckle him.

Comment

This has been backstop on the LF bleachers beat. Back to ShortHop in the studio.

Comment

Thanks for that report backstop.

In other news, it appears that jokes concerning the mis-pronounciation of that Japanese right fielder's name are only still being told by every other un-original dumb-ass.
          Of course you do.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
            This has been backstop on the LF bleachers beat. Back to ShortHop in the studio.
            Do they still get on the opposing left fielder by spelling out his name, then saying something to the effect of that guy is an effing bum?
            Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Originally posted by Bleacher Creature View Post
              Do they still get on the opposing left fielder by spelling out his name, then saying something to the effect of that guy is an effing bum?
              That would require them looking up at the game to see who is playing LF, so no.

Comment

So let's get this straight. Cubs fans hate their left fielder and their center fielder? I'd hate to see how bad they would be if they weren't in first place.

Wait a minute, no I wouldn't.
                Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Ahh, gotta love the Tribune and their politically correct world.

So, one has to wonder. Do the bleacher bums get to say whatever they want to the opposing LF'er?

No wonder Soriano has issues with Wrigley sometimes. He's sensitive.
                  *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Good friend of mine sat in the LF bleachers 4 or 5 years ago when Mark Sweeney played left for the Pads or someone. He had to endure "Sweeeeney, Weeeenie" the entire time he was in the field. I feel this stunted his growth.
                    Former 2017 OFFICIAL SPONSOR of Braves' Fill-In Matt Adams,
                    Jesus is . . .

Comment

Fuck the Cubs
                      Sponsor of:
                      Brian Elliott
                      Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                      5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Working...
                      X