TV's ‘Laugh-in’ comic Dick Martin dies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV's ‘Laugh-in’ comic Dick Martin dies

LOS ANGELES - Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.
    Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.

"He had had some pretty severe respiratory problems for many years, and he had pretty much stopped breathing a week ago," Greenberg said.

Martin had lost the use of one of his lungs as a teenager, and needed supplemental oxygen for most of the day in his later years.
    He was surrounded by family and friends when he died just after 6 p.m., Greenberg said.
    MORE

Mr. G

"Good night Dick"
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by davhaf View Post
      "Good night Dick"
      Insensitive reply? Yes. Funny? Yes.
      Official Lounge sponsor of Nick Plummer
      R.I.P. Rdog, davhaf

Comment

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
        Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
        -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

that was a funny show. I played it one day in class, we were in the 60's and looking at the political scene when i did it. Most kids did not find it funny, they were too young to get the jokes. Great discussion about satire and why it works

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

LOS ANGELES - Dick Martin, the zany half of the comedy team whose "Rowan and Martin's Laugh-In" took television by storm in the 1960s, making stars of Goldie Hawn and Lily Tomlin and creating such national catch-phrases as "Sock it to me!" has died. He was 86.
            Martin, who went on to become one of television's busiest directors after splitting with Dan Rowan in the late 1970s, died Saturday night of respiratory complications at a hospital in Santa Monica, family spokesman Barry Greenberg said.
            . . . ""Laugh-in," which debuted in January 1968, was unlike any comedy-variety show before it. Rather than relying on a series of tightly scripted song-and-dance segments, it offered up a steady, almost stream-of-consciousness run of non-sequitur jokes, political satire and madhouse antics from a cast of talented young actors and comedians that also included Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Henry Gibson, Jo Anne Worley and announcer Gary Owens.
            A little heroin addiction and Judy Carne is wiped from Hollywood's memory.

I'd also challenge the statement that "Laugh-In" was unlike anything before it. Ernie Kovacs' did TV specials a decade earlier using the same sort of madcap comedy with quick cuts, quick hits and repeating scenes.

Comment

Originally posted by ess eff View Post
              A little heroin addiction and Judy Carne is wiped from Hollywood's memory.

I'd also challenge the statement that "Laugh-In" was unlike anything before it. Ernie Kovacs' did TV specials a decade earlier using the same sort of madcap comedy with quick cuts, quick hits and repeating scenes.
              I got my dad some old Ernie Kovac's tapes for his BD a few years ago.

Very funny and Laugh In admitted to employing his style. But it was different from anything on at the time. Kovacs was just ahead of that time too

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

Laugh-in was the right show for that era.
                Make America Great For Once.

Comment

Working...
                X