X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: Cards (W) (Lohse, (3-2, 4.71) v Dodgers (Penny, (5-4, 5.34) 9:10 FSNMW

Been a while, I will take a Loshe start

Scouting Report:
    Cardinals: Lohse looked more like himself last time out, breaking a rough stretch in which he allowed 19 runs in three starts. He should be feeling fresh, with an extra day of rest following a start in which he threw only 78 pitches. Lohse was knocked around in his only previous start at Dodger Stadium.

Dodgers: Brad Penny's last start was pushed back a day because of tightness in his arm during a bullpen session. When he did take the mound, it turned into his third consecutive disappointing performance. He allowed five runs (20 in last three starts) and it took two innings before his velocity reached the mid-90s. On the other hand, he grinded out six innings to save the bullpen and the Dodgers came back to win the game. He already has as many losses as he did all last season.
    and the preview
    Cardinals-Dodgers Preview
    By ANTHONY GIORNALISTA
    STATS Senior Writer
    Associated Press Sports
    updated 1:37 a.m. CT, Sat., May. 24, 2008

Brad Penny is one of the best pitchers in the major leagues at keeping the ball in the park. But the Los Angeles Dodgers ace is struggling, and Ryan Ludwick has been opportunistic.

After leading St. Louis to a win with yet another home run, Ludwick will try to help the Cardinals take advantage of a matchup with Penny and the Dodgers when the teams meet in the middle game of their series Saturday night.

Penny (5-4, 5.34 ERA), who has already matched his loss total from last season, is 0-2 with a 10.80 ERA and a .394 opponents batting average in his last three starts for Los Angeles (25-22).

The veteran right-hander has surrendered four home runs in his last five starts, spanning 28 2-3 innings. That's uncharacteristic for Penny, who is seventh in the majors among starters from 2004-08 with 0.71 homers surrendered per nine innings.

In his last outing, he gave up five runs and nine hits in six innings as Los Angeles beat Cincinnati 6-5 on Monday night.

Penny is 2-4 with a 4.25 ERA in 11 starts against the Cardinals (29-21), surrendering just four home runs in 65 2-3 innings. But Penny will be facing a St. Louis team that has won five of six, homering 10 times during that stretch.

Five of those homers have been hit by Ludwick, who connected for a two-run shot to lead the Cardinals to a 2-1 win over the Dodgers on Friday night.

It was the right fielder's 13th homer, and his ninth in his last 15 games. Ludwick is one home run shy of matching his career high, set in 303 at-bats last season. He also went 3-for-4, raising his average to a team-best .348.

Ludwick, who has never faced Penny, has helped St. Louis bounce back from a 2-8 stretch.

Outstanding pitching has also helped St. Louis get back in the hunt. The Cardinals have a 2.31 ERA in their last four games, striking out 30 in 35 innings while holding opponents to a .214 batting average.

Kyle Lohse (3-2, 4.71) will take the mound for St. Louis on Saturday. The right-hander is coming off his best start this month, allowing three runs - two earned - and eight hits in six innings in St. Louis' 5-4 win over Tampa Bay on Sunday.

Lohse is 0-1 with a 9.00 ERA in one start and two relief appearances all-time against the Dodgers. He'll be facing a Los Angeles team that went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position in the series opener.

The Dodgers entered the series having won six of their last eight, but they lost the first game Los Angeles' Joe Torre and St. Louis' Tony La Russa managed against each other in the same league during the regular season.

"For the longest time, he's been the measuring stick for a lot of managers," Torre said. "We both want to win very badly."

Torre and La Russa are No. 1 and No. 3 on the postseason wins list with 76 and 59, respectively. La Russa is first in wins during the regular season among current managers (2,404) and Torre is third (2,092).

"The managers don't really compete. The teams do," La Russa said. "But I look at his success, and whatever he's doing, he's doing a lot of good things."

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

This would be a very nice game to win. Guarantee a winning road trip, wouldn't it?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
    --Albert Einstein

Comment

Some notes from Bernie...

Entering the weekend, Cardinals third baseman Troy Glaus has the most at-bats in the NL with runners in scoring position (62), and the most at-bats with RISP and two out (31). He was hitting .306 overall with RISP, and .323 with RISP and two out. ... Since last June 1, Cardinals outfielder Ryan Ludwick is homering every 14.81 at-bats; among NL players who have 375 or more at-bats during that time only Ryan Howard, Lance Berkman, Adam Dunn, Alfonso Soriano, Ryan Braun, Pat Burrell and Prince Fileder and have a better HR ratio.

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
        Some notes from Bernie...
        Glaus sucks...so sayeth the mob
        Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

we'd best hold serve in LA and look to sweep, or at the very least, win 2 of 3. I'd be supremely shocked if Pittsburgh helped us any at home against the Cubs. Heck, they allowed Zambrano a 4-hit night at the plate!
          "Let me lay it right on the line. Bigotry and racism are among the deadliest social ills plaguing the world today. The only way to destroy them is to expose them. If man is ever to be worthy of his destiny, we must fill our hearts with tolerance.- Stan Lee (circa 1968)

"Compete less with the person in front of you than the person inside of you." - Anonymous

Comment

Originally posted by lazydaze View Post
            Glaus sucks...so sayeth the mob
            Yep. I'm pretty much stunned by those numbers. I must only see the games where he strands a bunch of runners.
            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
              Yep. I'm pretty much stunned by those numbers. I must only see the games where he strands a bunch of runners.
              Don't get me wrong, for 13 million I expect more. But...considering the 15 million guy he replaced wasn't going to play balls out... was going to sit in the corner and massage his vagina...This is a huge plus for the team.
              Un-Official Sponsor of Randy Choate and Kevin Siegrist

Comment

So have we thrown in the towel on Matt Clement?
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                  i was wondering that earlier today. what is going on with him?

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                    I wouldn't suggest you hold your breath waiting for him, but patience doesn't cost us anything, does it?

Not to say that he'll be another Chris Carpenter, but there were probably a few times along his comeback path that we were tempted to write him off, too.

Let's see how it plays out. If he's toast, he's toast. If he makes back, then so much the better for us.
                    This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

has charter cocked up for anyone else? I get a frozen screen and no sound on FSNMW ESPN and other upper channels. Both digital and regular cable

Comment

Originally posted by jhanke View Post
                        has charter cocked up for anyone else? I get a frozen screen and no sound on FSNMW ESPN and other upper channels. Both digital and regular cable
                        Yep, I didn't see this before I started the thread. I am now on hold with "technical support"
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

3 up, 3 down...Vin informs us that the Dodgers are cutting Esteban Loaiza, so now we know where the Cardinals can go for pitching help...

Comment

I was having trouble with ESPN while I was watching the Arizona womens softball team eliminate Oklahoma...
                            I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by davhaf View Post
                              I was having trouble with ESPN while I was watching the Arizona womens softball team eliminate Oklahoma...
                              Did they give out any free home runs?

Comment

Working...
                              X