Cooperstown Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cooperstown Help

For Father's Day, I plan on taking my old man to Cooperstown.

Has anyone been?

Where do you fly into?

Where do you stay?

When is a good time to go?

What's the deal with Oprah?

Any other tips would be appreciated.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

CSD just went there...he'll give you better information than I can...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

I would assume you fly into Albany if possible. Anything else is going to be a hike.

It's very bed-and-breakfasty around there, although I haven't been in a long, long time.

Anytime is really fine for going, unless you're particularly interested in some guy getting inducted. Everything is pretty much inside, so weather isn't a big deal.

Comment

Best times to go are before June or after mid-August.

Beginning June 7 the local ballpark(s) run weeklong tournaments which bring about 150 teams plus parents, etc to the area and book up the hotel and bed/breakfast joints. This is in addition to the regular tourists.

And obviously induction weekend is even crazier.
        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post

Has anyone been?

Where do you fly into?

Where do you stay?

i went a few years ago during induction weekend. just a fabulous vacation and I WILL go back again.

we drove. one day to cleveland spent the night went to the rock and roll hall of fame in the morning and early afternoon (rock and roll hall is very well done imo. i very much enjoyed it. hint. buy a one year membership for this as well) and then drove on to syracuse to spend the night (induction weekend forced this to be as close as we could get without giving up my first born. we could have easily drove another hour and stayed at cooperstown probably on another weekend.)

flying in i would think syracuse or rochester closest. dont know if cheapest.

the town is very anti commercial. so there is like two hotel/motels. a lot of bed and breakfasts.

i bought far in advance a hall of fame membership which was cheaper than two day's admission at the door. also let me go to the front of the line and just walk in rather than stand in any admission lines. plus got a few other freebies and a magazine for a year. it was well worth it unless you are only planning on being in cooperstown one day.

one day might have been doable if we didnt go to the induction ceremony. however the induction ceremony was beyond cool and the number of previous hall of famers around and available was incredible and just wouldnt have happened if not that weekend. plus we were then not rushed in the hall and took our time over the two days and really soaked up the atmosphere.

after our two day of cooperstown we drove to canada and stayed riverside at niagra falls for two nights and did all the tourist stuff there. imo also as cool as can be imagined. one cannot describe the site and feel of niagra falls. i cant imagine the first pioneer that stumbled through the woods only to come onto this sight.

on the way back we again stopped at cleveland where we had already purchased indian vs yankme tickets on the way through the first time. saw that game and then stayed the night at the same suburban motel that we stayed in on the way in.

sure a lot of driving but also a lot of good family time. both of my kids (now 17 and 21) still say one of the best vacations of their lives and my wife and i agree.
          Last edited by billiken_roy; 05-22-2008, 03:12 PM. Reason: change
          Roy Mueller

"It's kind of fun to do the impossible."

- Walt Disney

Comment

Nice. I did the I-80 drive back in 2001, but to check out U2 in Boston.

I couldn't believe how many things there were to do off the highway....ND, college FB HOF, college BB HOF, MLB HOF, Niagra Falls, Rock n Roll HOF.
            Last edited by El Establishment 1; 05-22-2008, 03:23 PM.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
            -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by billiken_roy View Post
              i went a few years ago during induction weekend. just a fabulous vacation and I WILL go back again.

we drove. one day to cleveland spent the night went to the rock and roll hall of fame in the morning and early afternoon (rock and roll hall is very well done imo. i very much enjoyed it. hint. buy a one year membership for this as well) and then drove on to syracuse to spend the night (induction weekend forced this to be as close as we could get without giving up my first born. we could have easily drove another hour and stayed at cooperstown probably on another weekend.)

flying in i would think syracuse or rochester closest. dont know if cheapest.

the town is very anti commercial. so there is like two hotel/motels. a lot of bed and breakfasts.

i bought far in advance a hall of fame membership which was cheaper than two day's admission at the door. also let me go to the front of the line and just walk in rather than stand in any admission lines. plus got a few other freebies and a magazine for a year. it was well worth it unless you are only planning on being in cooperstown one day.

one day might have been doable if we didnt go to the induction ceremony. however the induction ceremony was beyond cool and the number of previous hall of famers around and available was incredible and just wouldnt have happened if not that weekend. plus we were then not rushed in the hall and took our time over the two days and really soaked up the atmosphere.

after our two day of cooperstown we drove to canada and stayed riverside at niagra falls for two nights and did all the tourist stuff there. imo also as cool as can be imagined. one cannot describe the site and feel of niagra falls. i cant imagine the first pioneer that stumbled through the woods only to come onto this sight.

on the way back we again stopped at cleveland where we had already purchased indian vs yankme tickets on the way through the first time. saw that game and then stayed the night at the same suburban motel that we stayed in on the way in.

sure a lot of driving but also a lot of good family time. both of my kids (now 17 and 21) still say one of the best vacations of their lives and my wife and i agree.
              Good stuff. That's ALMOST what we are going to do next summer. I can't wait...

FWIW - If you are in Niagra, you're 90 min from the Hockey Hall of Fame.
              Feb. 08, 2005
              Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
              Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
              Originally posted by Airshark
              NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post

Has anyone been?

Where do you fly into?

Where do you stay?

I was just there but I drove there. I can't help you with flying info.

I stayed at the Best Western which is about 4 miles outside Cooperstown. It was actually pretty nice there.

As for the best times to go, what Taz said is true so make your reservations quickly. From what I was told it gets pretty insane in the area during the summer.
                Official Sponsor of the National League Three-Peat.

Comment

Working...
                X