Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Joel Piñeiro morphing into Jason Marquis?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Joel Piñeiro morphing into Jason Marquis?

WAITING ON PINEIRO

La Russa acknowledged his desire for Tuesday's losing pitcher, Joel Pineiro, to push deeper into starts, especially when handed leads.

Pineiro is averaging less than six innings in eight starts and has failed to close the sixth in any of four starts this month.

Tuesday, Pineiro mishandled a 2-0 lead by allowing a sixth-inning, three-run homer to Padres third baseman Kevin Kouzmanoff.

Kouzmanoff's blast followed two walks and was the difference in the Padres' 3-2 win. In his previous start, Pineiro was lifted after letting a 5-1 lead shrink to 5-4 during a complicated fifth inning. At 2-3, Pineiro is the only Cardinals starter with a losing record.

"The other day, it's 5-4. That leaves 12 outs for the bullpen," La Russa said. "I read his comment (from Tuesday night) about one bad pitch. Well, I didn't think that was accurate. I look at the fourth. Well, he escapes trouble and then there's the fifth.

"I think part of it is for him to really examine his outings. He's shown he's good enough. You can't have a better example than his (one-out) strikeout of (first baseman Adrian) Gonzalez, then giving up a three-run homer. He had an open base. He didn't have to do that.

"He just needs to examine what he's doing right and where he can get better."
    Looper does just enough to win and Piñeiro seems to do just enough to lose...maddening

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Tony has a pretty quick hook with him.

I think its because he looks like Brad from the Real World San Diego.
    Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
    -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Pineiro would have been a lot better off if he could have a few of those three run innings like Looper got last night.
      Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post
        Tony has a pretty quick hook with him.

Pretty scary that you know that.
        *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post
          ++

++
          Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
          Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
          There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
          "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
          "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by dhaab View Post

I am a bit of a pop culturist. I find it my duty to keep up with some trivial nonsense.

You never know, I could be stuck on an elevator with Chuck Klosterman or The Sports Guy. What would I talk about?
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
            -Barry Goldwater

Comment

i think Ryan Ludwick looks like a young Tom Hanks.

Comment

I am a bit of a pop culturist. I find it my duty to keep up with some trivial nonsense.

You never know, I could be stuck on an elevator with Chuck Klosterman or The Sports Guy. What would I talk about?

I really like both of those writers. I just finished reading Klosterman's latest the other day. The Sports Guy has gotten pretty annoying with the dominance of the Boston teams, but he's still brings the funny.
                *Syria becomes the 7th predominantly Muslim country bombed by 2009 Nobel Peace Laureate Barack Obama—after Afghanistan, Pakistan, Yemen, Somalia, Libya and Iraq

Comment

INcredible similarities (see GDOT thread ).

but really seems they don't like how he 'thinks' about pitching, or at least they would like him to self-flagellate more after losses (ala, Izzy)
                  Sketch in STL
                  Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Originally posted by sketch View Post
                    INcredible similarities (see GDOT thread ).

but really seems they don't like how he 'thinks' about pitching, or at least they would like him to self-flagellate more after losses (ala, Izzy)
                    Sorry...I didn't open/read that thread...

Comment

Originally posted by Ty Shula View Post
                      i think Ryan Ludwick looks like a young Tom Hanks.
                      I've always thought a combo of Edward Norton and Cameron from "Ferris Bueller's day off".
                      Of course you do.

Comment

I always liked the blonde girl (the southern one, not the slutty one) on Real World San Diego.

Comment

Comment

It's certainly not his sponsor's fault.
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                            OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                              It's certainly not his sponsor's fault.
                              You mean the guy who can't spell his player's name right?

Comment

Working...
                              X