• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• F*ck American Airlines: Now Charging for Traveling with Luggage

The New York Times

May 22, 2008
    American, Cutting Back, Plans $15 Bag Fee
    By MICHELINE MAYNARD

American Airlines, the nation’s largest air carrier, said Wednesday that it would begin charging $15 for many passengers to check their first bag, eliminating a free service that passengers in the United States have come to expect during the modern jet era.

American made its announcement during the annual meeting held by its parent company, the AMR Corporation, in Fort Worth.

At the same time, American said it would take up to 85 aircraft out of its fleet, including jets and commuter planes, by the end of the year, one of the biggest cutbacks since the airlines culled their fleets after the September 2001 attacks. American has about 960 aircraft at the mainline airline and its American Eagle subsidiary.

The reductions will translate to an 11 to 12 percent cut in service during the fourth quarter, American officials said. They said the airline would eliminate some jobs, but did not give specifics.

Airlines around the world have been hit hard by skyrocketing jet fuel prices, which have climbed 80 percent in the last year. The higher prices have prompted them to institute a raft of fare increases, surcharges and fees for services that previously had been free. Other airlines, including Delta and United, also have announced plans to reduce their fleets.

“Our company and industry simply cannot afford to sit by hoping for industry and market conditions to improve,” American’s chief executive, Gerard Arpey, told company shareholders.

American said it would assess the first-bag charge beginning with travel on June 15. The new charge applies to passengers who purchase discounted coach fare tickets within the United States.

Passengers who have already bought tickets for travel after June 15 are exempt from the first-bag charge.

The extra baggage fees will only exacerbate the situation on already crowded planes, said Patricia Friend, the president of the Association of Flight Attendants, a union representing 55,000 employees at 20 airlines.

“Too many passengers will now try to carry on even more rather than pay a fee,” Ms. Friend said.

“It’s the end of an era,” said Robert W. Mann Jr., an airline industry consultant in Port Washington, N.Y. Referring to the range of fees that customers face, Mr. Mann added, “Soon, like freight, we will pay by the pound for passenger air travel.”

The fees also will not apply to passengers who travel on full-fare coach or business class tickets, international travelers and passengers who hold premium status in American’s frequent-`flier program. American said it would not charge to check a car seat or stroller if a parent is traveling with a child, but other baggage charges would apply.

American posted details of the new charge on its Web site this morning.

American’s move follows steps in the last few weeks by major airlines to charge for checking a second bag.

Analysts said they expected that other carriers would watch passenger reaction to American’s decision and were likely to institute their own first-bag charges.

Passengers had mixed reactions to American’s latest move.

“They don’t even give you free food anymore and the costs just keep going up,” said Carol McLain, of Detroit, who was flying to Athens, Greece with her husband to celebrate his 70th birthday.

Added Martin McLain: “I will expect an upgrade from peanuts to cashews now.”

But Rick Mattingly, of Rockford, Ill., said the fee would not bother him, even when traveling on vacation. “it’s still cheaper than gas,” said Mr. Mattingly, who did not check bags for a trip to Chicago. “If you look at it that way, 15 bucks is pretty cheap.”

American is not the first carrier in the United States or abroad to charge for checking the first bag. Spirit Airlines, a low-fare carrier with service primarily in the eastern United States, charges passengers to check baggage, with discounts available for those who reserve baggage space on its Web site.

Likewise, Ryanair, a low-fare carrier in Europe, instituted baggage charges on its flights in 2006. It charges about $32 a bag for the first bag checked at the airport, or $16 for baggage space reserved online. Ryanair also charges an airport check-in fee of about $8 for passengers who are traveling with baggage.

American’s stock fell sharply in morning trading. Its shares fell 13 percent, to $7.13 in morning trading, and briefly traded below $7.

Nick Bunkley contributed reporting from Romulus, Mich.
    Moon

I personally prefer checking my bag, even if it is carry on size.

This is just going to make the carry on situation dreadful.
    Billikens.com

Comment

Probably caused by higher fuel prices. How much you wanna bet though, that they don't remove this charge if and when fuel prices ever go down?
      Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by SluSignGuy View Post
        I personally prefer checking my bag, even if it is carry on size.

This is just going to make the carry on situation dreadful.
        yep, people will be trying to stuff oversize bags in the overheads and there will be arguments at the ticket counter over what is an acceptable size to carry on and what isnt.
        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

I saw that earlier today and had to read it a couple of times to make sure it said what it did.

Complete bullshit.
          Sponsor of:
          Brian Elliott
          Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
          5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Good day to own Southwest stock.

Comment

Originally posted by ElviswasaBluesFan View Post
              yep, people will be trying to stuff oversize bags in the overheads and there will be arguments at the ticket counter over what is an acceptable size to carry on and what isnt.
              people are already obnoxious wiht their carry ons. Now it will be 10x as bad.
              Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                Good day to own Southwest stock.
                It won't be long until the others follow suit.

jj twiggs - A great family restaurant

Dear God, KBF here. I'd just like to say thanks, once again, for allowing Dusty Baker and I to live during the same time period. Every time I think he's given me his last gift -- overpitching Prior in the playoffs, getting cocky in Game 6 vs. the Angels, blowing another game for the Cubs -- he does something stupid like pitching to Albert Pujols. Thy will be done, baby!!!!!

Comment

It does suck, I could see it for the second maybe.

Comment

Yeah, most of the other airlines will do the same before long. Sucks...
                    Photobucket

Comment

Why not just raise the price of every ticket $15?
                      Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan View Post
                        It does suck, I could see it for the second maybe.
                        I agree. You can only take two as it is right now.

I can't remember the last time I went on a trip and did not have to check something in. Even on the quick trips that I went on, I always checked something in.

It makes me glad I am flying US Air in a few weeks.
                        Sponsor of:
                        Brian Elliott

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
                          Why not just raise the price of every ticket $15?
                          This is an attempt by AA to have travelers reduce the amount of luggage they travel with so that they don't have to fill the plane full of fuel.

Raising the ticket price by $15 doesn't accomplish that.

Comment

Hmmm...Guess I'll be doing what my uncle used to do when he's come in for a month or so from LA...He's cram a bunch of shirts and pants/shorts into a little box or 2 and ship those suckers UPS to my parents...then he wouldn't have the extra bags...I'm thinking come July, I'll be shipping shit to my cousin up in PA and not packing anything other than a carry-on. Besides, then my luggage can't get lost.
                            Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                              Hmmm...Guess I'll be doing what my uncle used to do when he's come in for a month or so from LA...He's cram a bunch of shirts and pants/shorts into a little box or 2 and ship those suckers UPS to my parents...then he wouldn't have the extra bags...I'm thinking come July, I'll be shipping shit to my cousin up in PA and not packing anything other than a carry-on. Besides, then my luggage can't get lost.
                              Get those bulk carrier boxes. No matter how much they weigh, it is 8.95 or something like that. That is what I use to send things to the troops in Iraq.
                              Sponsor of:
                              Brian Elliott

Comment

Working...
                              X