Legal Guardianship i.e. - The State

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Legal Guardianship i.e. - The State

The new dilemma in the life and times of Nsane. I’m reaching out to you guys knowing the vast amount of people we have here and hopefully one person might have had a similar experience and can lead me in some type of direction, because right now I feel like I’m standing in the middle of a room that has 574857457 doors. Now I just have to figure out what door to open.

Has anyone had any experience with a relative that has the State his their “legal guardian”? We want to find out about the finances that are being taken care of thru the guardian. We think my cousin’s “guardian” is stealing his money. So now we have to start looking into all this and figure out what’s going on. Our concern is that since the State is his legal guardian, they don't have to share any of that information with us.

I’d also like to look into having my cousin moved into a different care facility. The one he is currently at in my opinion is not a healthy place for him. When I say that – it’s because of the other patients that are there – and all of the smoking that occurs. When you walk in the house you can literally see the smoke clouds sitting in the rooms. The HVAC is not providing enough fresh RA. The place needs a couple of HEPA’s installed…and even then I’m not sure how much that will help! I hated every minute that I was in the house and I couldn’t wait to get out. Once I did – it took a while for my lungs to get back to normal – and I was only in the house for 15-20 min.

To make it all crazier, the only person that has any idea about how this is all set up is my Aunt. She had 4 aneurisms two weeks ago and has been moved to a rehab facility as recent as yesterday. We (my other Aunt’s and I) don’t want to bring all of this up to her – as she needs to focus on her rehabilitation right now. We can ask my cousin himself – but well, we don’t know the validity of the information he is giving us.

Outside of making contact w/his guardian and starting with getting information from them – I don’t know where else to start…Oddly enough, this was the first place I thought of to reach out and start. One of my other Aunts is going to fish for information out of my Aunt in the rehab facility to see what she can find out – w/out directly telling her anything.

If anyone has any advice or experiences w/this – please send me a PM and I’ll go from there.

Thanks.
    Feb. 08, 2005
    Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
    Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
    Originally posted by Airshark
    NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Get a lawyer.

Moon

Comment

Yeah - I'm drawing a blank too.

A lawyer is probably a good idea.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Lawyer, but the NAMI (I think that's the help group for folks with mental illness) people might also be able to give you some direction, too.
        Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

I mean this in all honesty, try checking with the news stations. One of them might enjoy looking into this for you to do a story on corruption in the system

Official Sponsor of Marco Gonzales and the Productive Out!!!

Said the Quangle Wangle Quee

Comment

I'm familiar with state laws that provide for the appointment of a guardian, but I'm not familiar with those that make the "state" the guardian of a person. Why or how, exactly, did the state come to occupy that role here?

Do check with a lawyer. You should be entitled to petition a court to have you (or someone who's willing to serve) appointed as guardian.
            June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Which state?

Comment

Originally posted by tallahassee blues fan View Post
                I'm familiar with state laws that provide for the appointment of a guardian, but I'm not familiar with those that make the "state" the guardian of a person. Why or how, exactly, did the state come to occupy that role here?

Do check with a lawyer. You should be entitled to petition a court to have you (or someone who's willing to serve) appointed as guardian.
                What you said makes sense to me...the courts appointed the guardian thru the state (I think). This is all new to me and I have no idea how any of it works...this is a large learning opportunity for me.

My cousin said yesterday that he has a lawyer - but I didn't ask too much about that because at one time, I thought his lawyer and his guardian were one in the same. I could be way off base on that one though.
                Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                  Lawyer, but the NAMI (I think that's the help group for folks with mental illness) people might also be able to give you some direction, too.
                  I think this is going to be a good place to start...Thanks.
                  Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

I assume this is Missouri. It that correct? I'm pretty sure all of the laws that cover guardianship are available on the internet for Missouri.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                      I assume this is Missouri. It that correct? I'm pretty sure all of the laws that cover guardianship are available on the internet for Missouri.
                      That was going to be my search location for tonight. Thanks.
                      Feb. 08, 2005

Forever

Comment

Lawyer up.

Along the lines with what TBF said, almost all states have a process to appoint a person as a guardian, and I suppose it's possible that this person could be an employee of some state agency.

However, the guardian should be an actual person, a person who owes a duty to the person whose care has been entrusted to him and a duty to the court. Normally one of those duties is to provide an accounting. You just have to determine who has the standing - ie the right - to demand that accounting.
                        From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

Working...
                        X