I think my daughter is on LSD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I think my daughter is on LSD

...ok not really, and honestly I'm pretty shaken up about all this, so any useful information would be greatly appreciated. I know we have a wide variety of people here, so I'm hoping someone could offer some insight.

So, around 3 this morning my 6 year old wakes up screaming for me, saying she had a bad dream. I go calm her down, no big deal. About an hour later this happens again, only this time she says she is seeing bugs in her imagination. She says they start off as colors then turn into bugs and she knows they aren't real but can't stop seeing them. Mostly spiders, tarantulas and a wall covered in black widows. I tried everything I could to calm her down but nothing worked.

At one point she claimed there was a wasp on her jacket by the door. When I picked it up and brought the jacket to her she screamed bloody murder and did not stop trembling for like 10 minutes.

This went on until around 7am. Finally, out of patience and on the verge of taking her to the hospital, I set her down in front of me and very sternly told her I was done dealing with this and that since she knew they were all in her head she needed to stop or would be in trouble. Soon after she told me thank you and that helped tell her mind to make them go away.

Eventually she said only one bug was left and it was a tarantula named sammy and that he was friendly and invisible. And he was now our new pet.
    Then she ate breakfast and finished getting ready for school. On the way to school, she kept talking about "Sammy" and alternating between he was imaginary and then saying that all the bugs were real. When I left her, she was fine, and talking about her new invisible pet "sammy".

I plan on taking her to the pediatrician asap, but in the interim I'm trying to figure out what in the blue hell was going on.

I'm torn between she was actually hallucinating and that it was an elaborate ploy for attention because she didn't want to go back to sleep. I'll note, the kid has an amazing imagination. She'll walk around stomping ants and bugs so that she can absorb their powers. She also tells these very complex "stories", passing them off as truth until the very end.

Also as a side not, the only medication she's taken in the last 72 hours has been a little Benedryl (been taking for awhile) and Flintstones vitamins.

The little I've been able to pull off the web mostly has to do with either nite terrors (which this isn't, she was fully awake) or side effects of ADHD drugs.

Moon

Comment

I got nothing...

Comment

Ambien?

Seriously, take her to the pediatrician for a consultation.

Comment

She's not scratching herself incessantly, is she?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

you can have your eyes open and still be having a night terror.
            Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

Originally posted by cardinalgirl View Post
              you can have your eyes open and still be having a night terror.
              ++

And speak quite lucidly.

Moon

Comment

Originally posted by Moon Man View Post
                ++

And speak quite lucidly.

Moon
                My son was getting them semi regularly a year or 2 ago. He definitely seemed 'awake'.
                Sketch in STL
                Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Night terror is the first thing that came to my mind. Although mine were usually about dinosaurs caged in a big prison in outer space.

Make her go pee. That always solved it for me.
                  Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                  "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

I kept waiting for the punch line. Wish there was one.

I'd probably have her in the doctor's office this morning. Or maybe calling the pediatrician ahead of time to see what the best course is -- maybe it would only scare her more if you rush her to the doctor. Don't do what I would do, which is panic.
                    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                    --Albert Einstein

Comment

I fucking hate spiders. Hate them.

Honestly, I can't say I'd approach any of it, any differently than you have Gonzo. I'm curious as to what your pediatrician will say.
                      --Official Lounge Sponsor of Coach Mike Anderson, Colby Rasmus, and Pearl Jam.
                      --Suck it cubbies.
                      --Thanks to RBB for my kick ace avatar!!** --RETIRE #51!!!

Comment

Well you've come to the right place.

Tonight before she goes to sleep - give her one of your T-Shirts to wear. Tell her if any spiders, monkeys, boogeymen, and or other monsters come at her - the T-shirt will make them think that its you and they will run kicking and screaming away.

Second - give her a pen flashlight to put under her pillow. Tell her monsters are and bugs are afraid of light and should she shine it on them they will disappear.

Third - right after her bath - put vasoline on her from head to toe. Tell her vaseline makes the bugs slip right off should they jump on her.

By the way the benedryl is drying out her skin so the vaseline will help.
                        She might be the only one in the house having issues with no see ums - small little bugs that have people fetishes. They can skip over all the people in the house except one and bite the hell out of that one.
                        Any chance a window has been open lately or a screen with a small hole in it?

Good luck.
                        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
                        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Benign phobic hallucinations are pretty common with young children.

Comment

Originally posted by ksbluesfan View Post
                            Benign phobic hallucinations are pretty common with young children.
                            But how does that explain her stepping on bugs to "assume their powers?" She's doing that when she's wide awake, right? Sounds like some sort of a bug obsession, or is that the same as a "benign phobic hallucination?"
                            "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
                            --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                              Well you've come to the right place.

Tonight before she goes to sleep - give her one of your T-Shirts to wear. Tell her if any spiders, monkeys, boogeymen, and or other monsters come at her - the T-shirt will make them think that its you and they will run kicking and screaming away.

Second - give her a pen flashlight to put under her pillow. Tell her monsters are and bugs are afraid of light and should she shine it on them they will disappear.

Third - right after her bath - put vasoline on her from head to toe. Tell her vaseline makes the bugs slip right off should they jump on her.

By the way the benedryl is drying out her skin so the vaseline will help.
                              She might be the only one in the house having issues with no see ums - small little bugs that have people fetishes. They can skip over all the people in the house except one and bite the hell out of that one.
                              Any chance a window has been open lately or a screen with a small hole in it?

Good luck.
                              Schwa with real advice, nice.

I'd link to this movie and make a pithy comment if I couldn't imagine how freaked I would be if this happened to my kid. That is a tough night. Good luck.

F&ckin' Moon
                              Sketch in STL
                              Official Sponsor of jHonny Peralta

I'M WITH HILLARY!

Comment

Working...
                              X