Police: Man stole unattended broken-down cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police: Man stole unattended broken-down cars

I would cause bodily harm to this db if he did that to me. I'm not kidding.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/new...7?OpenDocument

Police: Man stole unattended broken-down cars
    By Patrick M. O'Connell
    ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
    Friday, May. 16 2008

When Sherita Britt's car sputtered to a halt on the shoulder of Interstate 70,
    she wasn't surprised. The Pontiac Grand Prix's computer system had been giving
    her problems for weeks.

But when she returned about four hours later to try for the second time to
    retrieve her broken-down car from the highway, Britt was more than a little
    taken aback by what she found. Or, more accurately, what she didn't find.

"My car was gone," said Britt, 23, of Florissant. "We went straight on down the
    highway, and I was like, where's my car? I thought I had missed it."

Britt's car, police allege, became one of at least 50 abandoned vehicles stolen
    from the side of St. Louis-area highways by one man during the last two years.
    James H. Bruce, 62, of St. Louis, is accused of using his flatbed tow truck to
    haul away broken-down vehicles so he could take them to area scrap yards for
    cash, said St. Louis County Detective Bill Muller of the auto crimes unit.

Bruce was charged Wednesday with two counts of felony stealing a motor vehicle,
    including the theft in September of Britt's car, according to a warrant. County
    detectives worked with investigators from Ferguson, Berkeley and Hazelwood on
    the Bruce case and more charges are likely, police said.

"Basically he'd just drive the highways looking for broken-down cars," Muller
    said. "The heavier the car, the more money he'd get."

A smaller car might fetch $100, an older model Cadillac as much as $600. Scrap
    yards are supposed to ask for a vehicle's title before accepting it, but Muller
    said that rarely happens.

Bruce, Muller alleged, stole vehicles ranging from compacts to pickups. On
    snowy days, Bruce could pick up as many as three cars that had faltered in bad
    weather, the detective said.

"He was all over. If the opportunity was right for him, he'd do it," Muller
    said. "It'd take him less than 10 minutes to do it, to take it up and go."

It is unlikely Bruce will face charges on even a fraction of the vehicles he is
    alleged to have stolen since they have been smashed at scrap yards, police
    said. Muller said the number of cars reported stolen from highways in the
    county has dropped since Bruce was arrested in February.

The arrest, however, is of little consolation to Britt.

"It's very frustrating because I still don't have a car," Britt said. She now
    uses her mother's car to get to work.
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

That man is a diabolical genius.
    His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
    Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky View Post
      That man is a diabolical genius.

No kidding. Who would ever think of doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by #1 Jimmy fan View Post
        No kidding. Who would ever think of doing this?
        You guys really don't know tow truck people do you?

Think of them as Pirates with a Tow Truck.

One day a friend of mine - had his car stolen. He was an older gentleman. His car was in perfect condition when it was stolen. Some kids had taken it - driven it until the gas ran out and left it. He got a call from the police saying it had been recovered and it was in the a yard at some tow truck company.

I went with him to get it back. It was undriveable. The tow truck guy offered him 500 bucks for it. He said no and took it anyway although it cost him about 250. They had removed the distributor cap to keep it from running. No kids would have done that.

I noticed the magazines they had on the desk. All about your salvage rights as a tow truck operator.

Basically - once they get to a car - they can claim the theives who stole the car did whatever damage. That means they can take whatever they want off the car and no one checks them.

If your car is ever stolen - trust me - tell the police you will be right there to get it. Where ever it is stopped. Then you can have it towed to your house it it can't be driven. 9 times out of 10 - all you will need is a can of gas.
        Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
        God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
          You guys really don't know tow truck people do you?

Think of them as Pirates with a Tow Truck.

One day a friend of mine - had his car stolen. He was an older gentleman. His car was in perfect condition when it was stolen. Some kids had taken it - driven it until the gas ran out and left it. He got a call from the police saying it had been recovered and it was in the a yard at some tow truck company.

I went with him to get it back. It was undriveable. The tow truck guy offered him 500 bucks for it. He said no and took it anyway although it cost him about 250. They had removed the distributor cap to keep it from running. No kids would have done that.

I noticed the magazines they had on the desk. All about your salvage rights as a tow truck operator.

Basically - once they get to a car - they can claim the theives who stole the car did whatever damage. That means they can take whatever they want off the car and no one checks them.

If your car is ever stolen - trust me - tell the police you will be right there to get it. Where ever it is stopped. Then you can have it towed to your house it it can't be driven. 9 times out of 10 - all you will need is a can of gas.
          I had no idea.

Boy am I a hayseed.
          His mind is not for rent, to any god or government.
          Pointless debate is what we do here -- lvr

Comment

Originally posted by moedrabowsky View Post
            I had no idea.

Boy am I a hayseed.

They are most treacherous at bad accident scenes -

Multiple injuries every one going to the hospital - any money found in the cars is gone - any Cd's they like - any jewelry etc.

Pray they don't need spare parts for whatever they drive - because they just found them.
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Working...
            X