Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GDT: (L) 5/16/08 - Cards (Looper, 5-2, 4.21) vs Rays (Sonnanstine, 5-1, 5.07)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT: (L) 5/16/08 - Cards (Looper, 5-2, 4.21) vs Rays (Sonnanstine, 5-1, 5.07)

# Game info: 8:15 pm EDT Fri May 16, 2008
    # TV: FSFL, FSMW

Few American League teams have been able to slow the Tampa Bay Rays’ fast and impressive start this season.

The St. Louis Cardinals will see if they can do so when they open a three-game home interleague series on Friday with the Rays.

Tampa Bay (24-17), which has never had a winning record in its first 10 seasons, surprisingly owns the best record in the AL.

The Rays have won seven of their last eight, including three of four against the New York Yankees. They beat New York 5-2 on Thursday behind home runs by Akinori Iwamura and Shawn Riggans. Carl Crawford and B.J. Upton also each drove in a run.

“I want us to celebrate hard for 30 minutes postgame and then move on. I want us to dwell on a loss for no more than 30 minutes,” manager Joe Maddon said.

Scott Kazmir continued the strong starting pitching for the Rays, allowing three hits in six scoreless innings. Tampa Bay starters have made it through six innings in each of the last four games and nine of the last 10, posting a 1.52 ERA in that stretch.

Tampa Bay went 7-11 last season in interleague play, when it faced Florida and four teams from the NL West. It is 0-3 against the Cardinals (24-19), who the Rays faced in 2005. Troy Glaus, who faced the Rays plenty of times while the last two seasons with the Blue Jays, said this series is going to be a challenge.

“They’re really no fun to play. If they’re getting hits and moving runners and doing things like that, it makes for a tough game,” Glaus told the Cardinals’ official Web site. “There’s no doubt about it. And when they pitch well, which they’ve been doing, it’s even tougher.”

Tampa Bay sends Andy Sonnanstine (5-1, 5.07 ERA) to the mound to start the series.

Sonnanstine has won his last four decisions. He pitched five innings on Sunday against the Angels, allowing five runs and eight hits in the 8-5 win, but did not receive a decision.

The right-hander is 1-2 with a 6.16 ERA in three interleague starts. This will be Sonnanstine’s first time facing the Cardinals.

St. Louis counters with Braden Looper (5-2, 4.21), who is coming off a 5-3 loss to Milwaukee on Sunday. Looper allowed four runs and seven hits in six innings after winning his previous two starts.

Looper is 6-6 with a 5.66 ERA in three starts and 60 interleague relief appearances. He lost all three of his starts against the American League last year.

The Cardinals, who were 6-9 in interleague play last year, have lost four of their last five and are just 2-7 since May 7. They dropped two of three against the Pirates, losing Thursday’s finale 11-5.

St. Louis gave up four runs in the eighth inning and three in the ninth. Jason Isringhausen was charged with his sixth blown save and fifth loss of the season after allowing four runs - three earned - while recording only one out. He has an 8.00 ERA for the season and doesn’t believe he’ll pitch this weekend.

“I’m out of answers, out of excuses so to speak,” said Isringhausen, who had been demoted from closer to setup man last week. “We’ve just got to go to the next step, whatever that might be.”

Chris Duncan drove in two runs and Albert Pujols extended his streak of reaching base to all 42 games he’s played in this season, going 2-for-5. Pujols, who is batting .344 in interleague play—the fifth best average with a minimum of 150 at bats—has a hit in his last 14 games.
    Let's go Sooper Looper!

Super Duper Looper!!
    Sometimes elections have positive consequences!

Comment

First game of the season for me tonight.

Comment

My parents and their posse will be in attendance tonight...That god Izzy will more than likely be "unavailable" (or DL'd)... I just hope this double-digit LOB trend is minimized tonight or we all may hear my dad's commentary in the background of the Dan/Al show...
        Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
          First game of the season for me tonight.
          me too.

Comment

Well team -

Time to play like a champion.

Cards 7 - Rays 1
            Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
            God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I'll be in attendance via the interweb...Cards win!!! Cards win!!!
              I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
                me too.
                2008 virgins!
                Sponsor of:
                Brian Elliott
                Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
                5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

Originally posted by Guppy View Post
                  2008 virgins!
                  Sorry you missed the good part of the season...

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Comment

Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                    Sorry you missed the good part of the season...
                    Well I was planning on personally turning this thing around tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
                      Well I was planning on personally turning this thing around tonight.

I truely hope you do!

Comment

I'm there tonite. 4.5-1 on the season.
                        Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                        Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                        There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                        "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                        "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Sonnanstine is damn good. Good luck Cards.
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                          OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

2nd for me (in as many days).

Anyway, I'm headed to Joanie's Pizza to meet up with folks and then to ride their shuttle over.
                            Feb. 08, 2005
                            Lois Lane: What's the general opinion of a gal asking the guy out?

Forever
                            Lounge sponsor of YYZ and his Mardi Gras crew.
                            Originally posted by Airshark
                            NSane has already won - because the Sharks are well and truly ef'ed.

Comment

Originally posted by Blues Fan in SF View Post
                              Sonnanstine is damn good. Good luck Cards.
                              Tampa Bay is pretty darn good. We'll likely not get any help pulling ourselves out of our little funk.
                              This game's gotta be played with fear and arrogance - Crash Davis

Comment

Working...
                              X