6 Racecar Rhapsody Robby Albarado Ken McPeek 30-1
    7 Big Brown Kent Desormeaux Rick Dutrow 1-2
    8 Kentucky Bear Jamie Theriot Reade Baker 15-1
    9 Stevil John Velazquez Nick Zito 30-1
    10 Riley Tucker Edgar Prado Bill Mott 30-1
    11 Giant Moon Ramon Dominguez Richard Schosberg 30-1
    12 Gayego Mike Smith Paulo Lobo 8-1
    13 Hey Byrn Charles Lopez Eddie Plesa 20-1

A nice beginning to the story that accompanied this chart: "Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, here I am."
    June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

so apparently Big Brown should win this thing.

Comment

Big Brown by 30 lengths.
      "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
      --Albert Einstein

Comment

What are they going to do with the exacta money when all the other horses drop dead halfway through the race?
        "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle."
        --Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
          What are they going to do with the exacta money when all the other horses drop dead halfway through the race?
          the house wins?

Comment

Originally posted by InSighT View Post
            the house wins?
            ++

They always do.
            --Albert Einstein

Comment

PETA will say "We told you so."

Comment

Originally posted by kennyboyerfan View Post
                Use it to gas up the forklifts.

Comment

The PETA protesters are out and aboot...

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                  Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                  -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Do they have a field bet?

Comment

Nope, there's no field bet this year.

For devotees of betting on Big Brown, regardless of the odds, you were given a gift with a 13 horse field. Big Brown should (and may yet) be 1/9 but probably won't simply because there's a lot of dumb money in the betting pools today and 12 other horses to bet on.

It is not uncommon for kentucky derby winners who go on to win the preakness to run improved races. Silver Charm, Funny Cide, Smarty Jones, etc. are but a few of the recent dual winners who went from 110 Beyers to 116-118 Beyers in the Preakness. If Big Brown follows that same pattern, he will win this race by almost 15 lengths, if not longer. I cannot tell you how pathetic the rest of this field is. Only Gayego has run a race that could be considered competitive with Big Brown, and he stunk up the track in the Derby. Big Brown got a 109 in the Derby. The next closest last race number to Big Brown's is Behindatthebar's 94.5, and that number was acheived on a synthetic surface. None of his earlier races approached that number.

This is simply not a triple crown about which I can get excited. If Big Brown wins as I think he will today, he'll be heralded as a superstar. Yet, he doesn't have to improve to dominate this field of nothings, and so he will be an overhyped horse. His connections are not a group you want to pull for - read Andy Beyer's column today at the Washington Post site - and I hate to see a group like that win a Triple Crown without ever having to beat anyone.

The only hope of derailing Big Brown may lie with the Peter Pan winner. One of the most impressive stories in racing over the past several years is that the same dam has produced the winner of the Belmont over the past two years (Jazil and Rags to Riches). She had a third foal, by A.P. Indy who won his first start in Japan by a pole, and made his second start in the Peter Pan Stakes in the United States last weekend. He won that one too. He's being pointed to the Belmont, in an unprecedented attempt to make his mom the mama of three consecutive winners of that race. Hard thing to win a Grade I stake in the U.S. like that, but he may be talented enough to make it interesting for Big Brown.

The tri and or super are the only bets that offer money-making opportunities in this race. Big Brown occupies the top of the trifecta pyramid. I'm throwing out horses for the second sport whose good form is confined to synthetic surfaces or whose form just flat out sucks (Beyers less than 90 or not projecting that way), and that's Yankee Bravo, BehindattheBar, Stevil, Riley Tucker, and Hey Byrn. That leaves me the remaining seven to use in the second and third holes: Macho Again, Tres Borrachos, Ichabod Crane, Racecar Rhapsody, Kentucky Bear, Giant Moon and Gayego (who I am giving the benefit of the doubt to in the Derby by tossing that race). On the $1 Tri, that's a $42 bet, so make it a $10 tri. I'll double up on the Tri combination Big Brown - Gayego - other six horses listed in a $10 Tri for a total bet of $480.

Comment

Originally posted by Celtic View Post
                        Do they have a field bet?

No vBet?

Comment

So I guess tbf follows the ponies.

Comment

Originally posted by jack jones View Post
                            So I guess tbf follows the ponies.
                            Just a little.

Comment

Post time, if anyone cares.

Comment

Working...
                              X