Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, about this Todd Wellemeyer guy...

We may have something here.

4-1 with a 3.17 ERA after tonight, a WHIP of 1.13, K/9 of 7.83, K/BB of 2.47, so his peripherals are good.

Of particular note are the BAA and FB/GB ratio; his BAA is .243 which is actually not significantly off from his career average, and his FB/GB ratio is .88 or significantly below his career average. By simply reverting to his usual self in that category he could prevent a regression to the mean on balls put in play.

The biggest thing is that he's walking fewer and striking out more than he has in years, and if he keeps that up he will have a great season.

Yeah...I've got a mancrush.

He's been excellent this season...even part of last season, as well.

Good movement...good 2-3 pitches..and he's a bull.

I like Carp, Wains and him as 1-3...

Comment

The walks were always the thing with him. Remember how much he nibbled even last year? Couldn't get out of the fifth inning even when he was pitching well, because he'd go to a full count on everybody. He's looked really good this year. Always had nasty stuff.

That said, his opponents so far:

COL (in STL)
      HOU, before they started hitting
      SF
      SF
      PIT
      CIN
      CHC
      PIT

Not exactly a bunch of powerhouses. But yeah, can't ask for much more than he's done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
        The walks were always the thing with him. Remember how much he nibbled even last year? Couldn't get out of the fifth inning even when he was pitching well, because he'd go to a full count on everybody. He's looked really good this year. Always had nasty stuff.

COL (in STL)
        SF
        SF
        PIT
        CIN
        CHC
        PIT

Not exactly a bunch of powerhouses. But yeah, can't ask for much more than he's done so far.
        I think that's a fair sampling of the national league; Cincy and the Cubs both have pretty good lineups, and Pittsburgh/Houston/Colorado are all in the middle of the league offensively.

Comment

BB/9:

2003: 6.2
          2004: 7.4
          2005: 6.1
          2006: 5.7
          2007: 4.5
          2008: 3.1

Comment

BB/9:

2003: 6.2
            2004: 7.4
            2005: 6.1
            2006: 5.7
            2007: 4.5
            2008: 3.1
            What's amazing about that is that he's throwing more offspeed stuff this year than he ever has before but somehow improving his control.

Comment

God bless Dave Duncan...

Comment

I remember going to two or three games he started last year and I feel like I never saw him get out of the fifth. One game in particular he left with us tied (might've been 0-0) in the fourth and Kip Wells proceeded to give the game away. Anyway, yeah, when the pitch count is down, the guy can be nails. If we can make him in to Jeff Suppan, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffro View Post
                  I remember going to two or three games he started last year and I feel like I never saw him get out of the fifth. One game in particular he left with us tied (might've been 0-0) in the fourth and Kip Wells proceeded to give the game away. Anyway, yeah, when the pitch count is down, the guy can be nails. If we can make him in to Jeff Suppan, I'll be happy as a pig in shit.
                  He has better stuff than Jeff Suppan ever had.

Comment

Originally posted by Indu WangZi View Post
                    God bless Dave Duncan...
                    You're welcome.
                    Sponsor of Alex Pieterangelo.

..."I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." George Best

Comment

I like Wellemeyer a lot. He's always had a plus arm, it was his command and control that dogged him in Chicago and Kansas City.
                      I like cheese.

Comment

Hope he has a great year, then Moe can cash him in ala Kent Bottenfield for Jim Edmonds.
                        Official sponsor of Mike Shannon's Retirement Party

Comment

Originally posted by triggercut1 View Post
                          I like Wellemeyer a lot. He's always had a plus arm, it was his command and control that dogged him in Chicago and Kansas City.
                          You and I were a bit ahead of the curve on this for a change

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                          Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                          -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

COL (in STL)
                            SF
                            SF
                            PIT
                            CIN
                            CHC
                            PIT

wat
                            You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Originally posted by 007 View Post
                              You and I were a bit ahead of the curve on this for a change
                              His career arc and early-career struggles kind of resemble a poor-man's Curt Schilling. Not saying at all that Wellemeyer will have the kind of career that Schilling has had, but I remember watching Curt getting hit around a little bit out of the Astro bullpen way back when and thinking "If this guy ever figures it out, he'll be awesome." Seeing Wellemeyer last year I had similar, if a little more muted thoughts.
                              I like cheese.

Comment

Working...
                              X