Losing The House - I told you guys Mississippi is in play

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing The House - I told you guys Mississippi is in play

The Republicans lost another one last night.

That's 3 in a row for the Dems.

Can you smell what Barack is cooking.
    Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
    God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

What Does It Mean?: Miss. Special Election

This is the first installment of a new occasional, collaborative feature between Capitol Briefing and The Fix. When interesting political news happens, we'll exchange a series of e-mails offering (we hope) trenchant analysis of "what it means" along with some informed, witty banter. Please let us know, via the comments sections of both blogs, what you think of the new feature.
    Dear Fix:
    Good morning. Hope you are well. Now stop dreaming about West Virginia exit polls, get out of bed and start thinking about what last night's Mississippi special election results really mean.
    House Democrats have now won three special elections in Republican-held seats, after Travis Childers (D) beat Greg Davis (R) yesterday in Mississippi's 1st district. The other two seats Democrats have taken this year, in Illinois and Louisiana, were both GOP-leaning, but this one was really, really red; President Bush won it by 25 points in 2004.
    Obviously, Republicans are in serious trouble here, and it seems to Capitol Briefing that there are three particularly fruitful angles for us to discuss today:
    1) The "Wave" Angle. Look out, because we're about to hit by, well, a wave of "wave" stories. We both know that reporters love groups of three, so three special election wins means the press will be writing today and tomorrow all about the possibility that Democrats are going to put dozens more seemingly safe Republican seats in play this fall and build up an old-school supermajority.
    2) The Obama Angle. Republicans tried their best to tie Childers to Barack Obama. It didn't work. That's after they tried to tie Don Cazayoux to Obama in the Louisiana special election race. That didn't work either. Obama's campaign absolutely loves this.
    3) The Tom Cole Angle. Tom Cole, the chairman of the National Republican Congressional Committee, has definitely had better months than May 2008. He's losing GOP seats, and spending a lot of his precious cash in the process. He's had his critics since he got this job last year, and now they'll be out for blood.
    So, what say you, Fix? Will there really be a Democratic wave in November? Will tying Democratic candidates to Obama really not work for the GOP? And is Tom Cole going to keep his job? Capitol Briefing will be excitedly checking his inbox until you reply.
    Yours,
    Capitol Briefing

http://blog.washingtonpost.com/capit...ssissippi.html

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Antipathy for all things Republican is crushing Republican electoral chances.

There's truly no safe seat for a Republican in the elections this year.

Reap what you sow.
      From this day forward, I no longer shall tinker with the machinery of death.

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

The path the Court has chosen lessens us all. I dissent.

Comment

They sent in Mike Huckabee, Thad Cochran, Trent Lott, Haley Barbour, and Roger Wicker.

And when that wasn't enough, Darth Cheney
        I love it.

Keep sending Cheney out to campaign.

Woot! Woot!

For more than 20 years I have endeavored-indeed, I have struggled-along with a majority of this Court, to develop procedural & substantive rules that would lend more than the mere appearance of fairness to the death penalty endeavor.

I feel morally and intellectually obligated simply to concede that the death penalty experiment has failed.

Comment

Originally posted by ppg shg View Post
          Antipathy for all things Republican is crushing Republican electoral chances.

There's truly no safe seat for a Republican in the elections this year.

Reap what you sow.
          Exactly -

They have two Senate spots open in Wyoming - they are about as safe as they will get - and I'm thinking they aren't that safe either.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

No, Schwa, it isn't. Not in the presidential election. It so totally completely isn't.

But last night's race was indeed yet another sign that the House GOP is going to get its clock cleaned again.

May 13, 2008
            Categories: Campaigns

Cole issues surrender declaration following Mississippi loss

Following the victory by Democrat Travis Childers in tonight's special election, National Republican Congressional Committee Chairman Tom Cole (Okla.) issued what can only be called a declaration of surrender. Here is Cole's statement, which I found simply amazing:

“We are disappointed in tonight’s election results. Though the NRCC, RNC and Mississippi Republicans made a major effort to retain this seat, we came up short.

“Tonight’s election highlights two significant challenges Republicans must overcome this November. First, Republicans must be prepared to campaign against Democrat challengers who are running as conservatives, even as they try to join a liberal Democrat majority. Though the Democrats’ task will be more difficult in a November election, the fact is they have pulled off two special election victories with this strategy, and it should be a concern to all Republicans.

“Second, the political environment is such that voters remain pessimistic about the direction of the country and the Republican Party in general. Therefore, Republicans must undertake bold efforts to define a forward looking agenda that offers the kind of positive change voters are looking for. This is something we can do in cooperation with our Presidential nominee, but time is short.

“I encourage all Republican candidates, whether incumbents or challengers, to take stock of their campaigns and position themselves for challenging campaigns this fall by building the financial resources and grassroots networks that offer them the opportunity and ability to communicate, energize and turn out voters this election.”

Think about this Cole statement - "Democrats are running as conservatives, and Republicans can't beat 'em." So take that club out of the GOP arsenal heading into November.

Then Cole covers himself politically by saying "voters remain pessimistic about the direction of the country and the Republican Party in general." Which he follows by urging his candidates and incumbents "to take stock of their campaigns and position themselves for challenging campaigns this fall," especially since Democrats will enjoy a big financial edge.

This whole statement is an admission by Cole that he does not now how House Republicans can win in November as a group, so each member better protect himself or herself. To his credit, Cole has been warning his members that they need to run as outsiders this fall, but beyond that general admonition, the Oklahoma Republican can't show them a path to victory. It's an extraordinary statement by the head of a national campaign committee, but it is not one that's going to inspire any warm feelings from his GOP colleagues.
            Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by kah View Post
              No, Schwa, it isn't. Not in the presidential election. It so totally completely isn't.

But last night's race was indeed yet another sign that the House GOP is going to get its clock cleaned again.

I'm taking it Kah -

90% of the Black Vote + 65% of the new voters + 40 of White Voters = Obama carrying Mississippi.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

He won't get 40% of the white vote, not in Mississippi.

Would you like to make a sig bet? I don't want to bet money, because I'm cheap, and because I'd be fucking delighted if Obama carried Mississippi. But he won't, so let's make a sig bet.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                  I'm taking it Kah -

90% of the Black Vote + 65% of the new voters + 40 of White Voters = Obama carrying Mississippi.
                  I'm down with everything but the 40% of white mississippians. Not sure about that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwahalala View Post
                    I'm taking it Kah -

Only 90%? This is the general we are talking about now.

Comment

Hard to draw more than 90% of any demographic. I'm sure there's a few hardcore conservative black Republicans in Mississippi.

Comment

No way Obama gets 40% of the white voters in Mishippity.

He'll be doing good if he gets 20% of them.
                        “I’ve always stated, ‘I’m a Missouri Tiger,’” Anderson said March 13 after Arkansas fired John Pelphrey, adding, “I’m excited about what’s taking place here.”

Asked then if he would talk to his players about the situation, he said, “They know me, and that’s where the trust comes in.

Comment

Shhhh -

It's my October surprise.

95% with 75% turnout.

Kick ass

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

Originally posted by Razzy View Post
                            No way Obama gets 40% of the white voters in Mishippity.

He'll be doing good if he gets 20% of them.

Shhhhh - That's my other surprise -

He will get 35 and that will be enough.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I don't think I'd get this excited about an election if Lincoln could run again.

Do you guys have to wear Depends?

Comment

Working...
                              X