X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GDT - Pirates (Maholm) @ Cardinals (Wellemeyer) - 5.14.08, 7:15 PM

Izzy looking to get right against Bucs
    05/14/2008 12:45 AM ETBy Lee Hurwitz / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- No matter how much he wants to be on the mound with a lead in the ninth, Cardinals reliever Jason Isringhausen won't face a situation like that anytime soon. Speaking to the media prior to Tuesday night's game against Pittsburgh, manager Tony La Russa said he would prefer for the struggling righty to pitch in low-leverage situations -- moments when he won't dramatically affect the outcome of the game. But La Russa admitted that may not always be the case.
    "There's no doubt he's going to appear in important situations, because we don't have any pitchers," La Russa said. "I just don't think you'll have the luxury of giving him four or five appearances in non-pressure situations."
    Unfortunately for Isringhausen, he is limited to how much side work he can do off the mound because that makes him unavailable for games. La Russa said Isringhausen feels fine, but it's just a matter of when he becomes effective again.
    "I need to go out there and pitch in some not-as-pressurized situations, just get everything back together," Isringhausen said. "Start at the bottom, take baby steps and get my way back to how I've got to pitch."
    During Monday night's 8-3 loss at Milwaukee, Isringhausen threw 15 pitches, nine for strikes, in the eighth inning. He struck out Bill Hall, gave up a lone single to Corey Hart and said he was pleased with the outing.
    Isringhausen has blown four of his last seven save opportunities, three of which resulted in losses. He has 11 saves but sports a 7.02 ERA. Isringhausen is eight saves shy of 300 for his career.
    Pitching matchup
    STL: RHP Todd Wellemeyer (3-1, 3.56 ERA)
    Wellemeyer deserved better after allowing only a pair of unearned runs in six solid innings Friday in Milwaukee, but Isringhausen blew his fifth save with two outs in the ninth, and Milwaukee rallied for a victory.
    PIT: LHP Paul Maholm (2-3, 4.79 ERA)
    If Maholm hadn't tried an unwise defensive play in his last start, he may well have finished six innings of work without giving up a run. Instead, his attempt to try to snag a grounder led to four Giants runs in and a no-decision for Maholm. The lefty ran up a high pitch count early, but retired the last seven hitters he faced and did well in keeping the ball down. Maholm is 1-2 with a 2.28 ERA in three starts against St. Louis.
    Tidbits
    Albert Pujols has reached base safely in all of his 40 games this season. It's the longest season-opening streak in the Majors since Derek Jeter started 1999 by reaching base in his first 53 games. ... Wellemeyer is 1-1 with a 4.01 ERA in 13 career appearances -- two starts -- against the Pirates. He is 3-1 with a 3.13 ERA at home, however, and has limited opponents to a .220 batting average at Busch Stadium. ... In the top of the third inning Tuesday night, second baseman Cesar Izturis robbed Jose Bautista of a base hit on a spectacular diving effort to his right.
    Tickets
    Buy tickets now to catch the game in person.
    On the Internet
    MLB.TV
    Gameday Audio
    Gameday
    Official game notes
    On television
    • FSN-HD
    On radio
    • KTRS 550
    Up next
    • Thursday: Cardinals (Joel Pineiro, 2-2, 4.05) vs. Pirates (Ian Snell, 2-2, 4.53), 12:15 p.m. CT
    • Friday: Cardinals (Braden Looper, 5-2, 4.21) vs. Rays (Andy Sonnanstine, 5-1, 5.07), 7:15 p.m. CT
    • Saturday: Cardinals (Adam Wainwright, 3-2, 2.95) vs. Rays (Matt Garza, 2-1, 3.86), 12:10 p.m. CT
    I should be off the LDL for this one, so let's fuckin' win already.

Slumpbuster Jr. Go get 'em Jeffro...
    I agree with Davhaf.....Kaiser March 9,2004

Official Lounge co-sponsor of Jason Motte.

Mick Jagger is in better shape than far too many NBA players. It's up in the air whether the same can be said of Keith Richards.

Bill Walton

Comment

Boom - Boom

Lets go Cardinals.
      Turning the other cheek is better than burying the other body.

Official Sport Lounge Sponsor of Rhode Island - Quincy Jones - Yadier Molina who knows no fear.
      God is stronger and the problem knows it.

2017 BOTB bracket

Comment

I'm still truely amazed at what we have gotten out of Todd Wellemeyer since last year.

19 starts, 6-2 record, 97.1 IP, 85 H, 12 HR, 78 K's, 3.61 ERA.

And the thing about it is that it's not just smoke and mirrors like say Simontacchi when he first came up or something like that. He's got good stuff and is finally figuring out how to use it. I have no idea how long it will last, but if Duncan could get a full season out of Wellemeyer with an ERA around 4.00, he should prob go the Hall of Fame based on that alone.

Of course now Todd will shit the bed tonight.
        Last edited by Cardz82; 05-14-2008, 09:32 AM.
        Official Lounge Sponsor
        Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

For all the troubles the last week, we're still several games over .500 and only a game back. Can't speak for you all, but if someone told me on March 31 that at the 1/4 mark we'd be a game back of first and 5 over the .500 mark, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

We may not be the most talented team in the league or even the division, but this team is showing me something that last year's didn't. They find a way to stay in games. Rarely are we getting hammered. Late in nearly every game we have a chance to win.

Comment

that Jim Hayes interview with Wellemeyer last night was hilarious.
            Official Lounge Sponsor of Cardinals Stirrups

Comment

Originally posted by payitandbringit View Post
              For all the troubles the last week, we're still several games over .500 and only a game back. Can't speak for you all, but if someone told me on March 31 that at the 1/4 mark we'd be a game back of first and 5 over the .500 mark, I'd have taken it in a heartbeat.

We may not be the most talented team in the league or even the division, but this team is showing me something that last year's didn't. They find a way to stay in games. Rarely are we getting hammered. Late in nearly every game we have a chance to win.
              Bingo. We can't really complain(ok, yes we can because some of these losses are frustrating) but who thought we would be 5 games over .500 on May 14th?

This team will take it's lumps, but the fact they are staying in games is a GREAT sign and bodes well for the future.
              Official Lounge Sponsor
              Jim Beam, Fun Dip, and Guns 'N Roses

2014 TP College Football Pick'em Champion

Comment

It would be cool to win tonight. Had enough of losing lately. Losing blows.
                Official sponsor of the St. Louis Cardinals

"This is a heavyweight bout indeed."--John Rooney, Oct. 27, 2011

Comment

Cardinals 2, Pirates 1

HR: none

W: Wellemeyer (4-1)

* Kah gets that 1st GDT win!
                  TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

Originally posted by kmeyer View Post
                    Cardinals 2, Pirates 1

HR: none

W: Wellemeyer (4-1)

* Kah gets that 1st GDT win!
                    FreeHugsDude started this one.
                    Sponsor of Adam Wainwright
                    Sponsor of the $0.50 any-size frozen coke at Mobil on the Run when the Cards score six
                    There are 24 teams in baseball with a longer World Series drought than the St. Louis Cardinals.
                    "I told myself from the beginning, 'If he's going to throw a shutout, then he's going to tie,' ... he was not going to beat me today." ---Adam Wainwright, 8/11/10
                    "I was confused." ---Tim McCarver, 7/30/15

Comment

Originally posted by Tazlaz View Post
                      FreeHugsDude started this one.
                      One's a 'Pub, the other a Dem...

How those two can get confused

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
                      Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
                      -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Comment

Barton
                        Ankiel
                        Pujols
                        Ludwick
                        Glaus
                        Molina
                        Izturis
                        Wellemeyer
                        Ryan

--B
                        k

Comment

Was that catch as stroke-worthy as Shannon made it out to be?

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                            Was that catch as stroke-worthy as Shannon made it out to be?
                            It was good, it was no 'Edmonds full extension over the wall' or anything, but it was good.

Comment

Gamecast had the "x" for flyout well over the CF wall...
                              You're being fucking dramatic. You own a TV and an air mattress. That's not exactly what I'd call "a lot to lose."

Comment

Working...
                              X