No announcement yet.

Anyone adopt a dog from Humane Society?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone adopt a dog from Humane Society?

The gal really wants a dog (I'd rather not get one at this point in time) and we looked at the Humane Society late this afternoon...

anyone ever get a dog from there?

"Can't buy what I want because it's free...
    Can't buy what I want because it's free..."
    -- Pearl Jam, from the single Corduroy

Originally posted by 007 View Post
    The gal really wants a dog (I'd rather not get one at this point in time) and we looked at the Humane Society late this afternoon...

I have... he was great. What do you want to know?

Don't give in if the time isn't right.

My cat, who just recently passed away, (14 years old) was from the humane society. He was rescued in the flood of '93.
    Photobucket

Comment

Not through the Humane Society but we have adopted a dog through a rescue and currently work with a local rescue helping other people adopt dogs.

Do a search and see what kind of dog rescues you have in your area. It is cheap and a good way to give a dog a home.

Comment

Yep. The Budman is a Pound Puppy. He is awesome ( I might be biased, tho)
        Former Sponsor of Kyle "The Comeback Kid" Lohse.

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Sponsoring Friends and Proud Co-Sponsor of Captain Morgan

Comment

Originally posted by STL JA View Post
          I have... he was great. What do you want to know?

Don't give in if the time isn't right.
          Well, are these dogs pretty much potty trained and reasonably behaved or are we/I going to have to dump some money in obedience BS classes?

Comment

Well, are these dogs pretty much potty trained and reasonably behaved or are we/I going to have to dump some money in obedience BS classes?
            It depends on the dog...Buddy was not weaned, let alone potty trained, but he was easy to train. I took him to Puppy School. It wasn't all that expensive ( it was thru his vet office). We skipped 1 or 2 classes and he "graduated" anyway

Some of the older dogs might be potty trained, and maybe some obedience training, as well...

And Current (and former) Lounge Sponsor of Yadier "No-Glove til I get a Gold Glove" Molina and one BAMF

Comment

only when i'm hungry and out of meat in the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by sportschick View Post
                It depends on the dog...Buddy was not weaned, let alone potty trained, but he was easy to train. I took him to Puppy School. It wasn't all that expensive ( it was thru his vet office). We skipped 1 or 2 classes and he "graduated" anyway

Some of the older dogs might be potty trained, and maybe some obedience training, as well...
                How old was Buddy? The dog that caught her eye was a black lab that was listed at six months old...

When I got my first dog back in '83 from Pass Pets, she was six months old and managed to shit/piss anywhere she could...

Comment

yeah, def don't give in if you're not ready for it. it sucks not to have a pet, but it sucks more for the pet when you won't be around.

as for obediance and such, while some dogs are fostered, not all are. check out, i think the website is petfinder.com and they'll show you pics of animals from your area and give a description. if you have any questions, just call or email.

oh yeah, not sure bout there, but here in SA the dogs go home fixed and chipped and they can offer cheap obediance classes if the dog isn't already trained.

Comment

yeah 007 - you sound very enthusiastic about adopting a dog. they are gonna shit and pee in the beginning until they get used to you and your gf.

your gf may pick out the dog - but the dog probably will end up being your best buddy and then your gf will break up and take the dog as a measure of revenge.

then you'll write a sad song about it.

so in summary - don't do it until you are ready to do so and that includes cleaning up after the dog.

Comment

6 months...I'm sure it's not trained. Good luck with that...

Comment

Don't name him or her Eight Belles.
                        June 9, 1973 - The day athletic perfection was defined.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-Kva...eature=related

Comment

Originally posted by MsFunkay View Post
                          yeah, def don't give in if you're not ready for it. it sucks not to have a pet, but it sucks more for the pet when you won't be around.

as for obediance and such, while some dogs are fostered, not all are. check out, i think the website is petfinder.com and they'll show you pics of animals from your area and give a description. if you have any questions, just call or email.

oh yeah, not sure bout there, but here in SA the dogs go home fixed and chipped and they can offer cheap obediance classes if the dog isn't already trained.
                          Yep, they are fixed and chipped when one brings them home...

Me? I think we won't be around enough and wouldn't be fair to the dog...of course, she thinks differently...I dunno, I went there today and just felt awful that all those dogs (except for one fucking spazz dog) was without a home...

Comment

How old was Buddy? The dog that caught her eye was a black lab that was listed at six months old...

When I got my first dog back in '83 from Pass Pets, she was six months old and managed to shit/piss anywhere she could...
                            Well, they said Buddy was 8 weeks old...But I think the farm family that dropped him, his litter-mates and their mom off at the pound just lied to get rid of them, as he couldn't eat Puppy Chow unless I mushed it up with water...Best guess was he was really about 5 or 6 weeks old.
                            Another thing that I think helps the potty training is how long per day the dogs are kept in a cage/kennel thing. My first Cairn was from Pass Pets and she, too pissed and shit anywhere for the longest time, but she was in that cage thing at the pet store and could shit/piss whenever and wherever she wanted...
                            On the plus side of the dog being a Lab, they are smart and some breeds will all but potty train themselves, with just a little work from you.

Comment

My present dog is from the Humane Society.

It'll cost you aboot 80-90 bucks, but it's so worth it.
                              Official 2014-15 Lounge Sponsor of Jori Lehterä
                              "He'll Finnish You Off"

Comment

Working...
                              X