• Show
Clear All

• Seal tries sex with penguin

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24585481/

Seal tries sex with penguin

First known example of sex attempt between mammal, other vertebrate

By Charles Q. Choi
    updated 5:59 p.m. CT, Mon., May. 12, 2008

A seal has been caught on camera trying to have sex with a penguin.

This seems to be the first known example of a sexual escapade between a mammal and another kind of vertebrate such as a bird, reptile or fish, "although some mammals are known to have attempted sexual relief with inanimate — including dead things — objects," said researcher Nico de Bruyn, a mammal ecologist at the University of Pretoria in South Africa.

One summer morning, scientists observing elephant seals on a beach on Marion Island near the Antarctic spotted a young male Antarctic fur seal subduing a king penguin.

"At first we thought it was hunting the penguin, but then it became clear that his intentions were rather more amorous," de Bruyn recalled today via email.

The roughly 240-pound seal subdued the 30-pound adult penguin by lying on it. The hapless bird of unknown sex struggled, rapidly flapping its flippers and attempting to stand and flee, without luck.

The seal then alternated between resting on the penguin and thrusting its pelvis at the bird in vain attempts to insert its penis for 45 minutes. Natural, unsuccessful sexual escapades by this variety of seal with members of its own species may last as long as this penguin assault did, "but yes, it is quite a long time and thus unusual," de Bruyn told LiveScience.

The seal then abruptly gave up, moving to sea and completely ignoring the target of its affections. The penguin apparently did not suffer any injury. The scientists detailed their findings in the May issue of the Journal of Ethology.

Sexual harassment is common in the animal kingdom — "Homo sapiens are often testimony to that," de Bruyn said.

Many species perform some form of sexual harassment on members of their own species, "for a variety of reasons many of which are hotly debated," he added.

Many species of seal are polygynous, where one male mates with many females. The males often fight each other to control females.

"This system thus promotes extreme aggression in males towards each other, and if a male cannot control a beach, this aggression may spill over to sexual aggression directed at outlying females, pups or even in rare cases other seal species," de Bruyn said.

And this sexual aggression apparently might leap well beyond the species gap.

The Antarctic fur seals of Marion Island are the only ones known that eat king penguins. The thrill of the hunt felt by the seal the researchers saw may have channeled into its sex drive, as the mating season had just come to an end.

"It may have wanted to eat it and half-way through the chase changed its mind," de Bruyn speculated. "I personally believe the link between aggressive and sexual behavior is evolutionarily far closer linked than we currently believe. This has obvious implications for humans."

On the other hand, the amorous seal may simply have been sexually inexperienced and playful, and wanted practice, the researchers conjectured.

"There are many things that we do not understand about ourselves that are mirrored in other species," de Bruyn said. "Thus by continuing with research efforts on other vertebrates we could learn a great deal about the whys behind human behaviors."
    Seal had it comin' if you ask me...

-RBB

I thought he was married to some model chick. Was the penguins name Cindy Crosby?
    Sponsor of:
    Brian Elliott
    Kolten Wong & the arch in the outfield grass at Busch Stadium
    5-29-14-House77 turns down offer of free beer from me

Comment

This is caused by allowing gay marriage in the US.

Comment

Make America Great For Once.

Comment

This has never happened before?

Humans fuck children, sheep, turkeys, cows, pets, picnic tables, trees, themselves, their couches, etc.....a seal tries it once and its a story?

Poor guy.
          Official Lounge Sponsor of Candy.

"When you say 'radical right' today, I think of these moneymaking ventures by fellows like Pat Robertson and others who are trying to take the Republican Party and make a religious organization out of it. If that ever happens, kiss politics goodbye."
          -Barry Goldwater

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post

Humans fuck children, sheep, turkeys, cows, pets, picnic tables, trees, themselves, their couches, etc.....a seal tries it once and its a story?

Poor guy.
            Sad and funny at the same time.

Comment

Sure, try to have a little fun and you're tagged as a seal-fucker forever.......

Comment

Originally posted by El Birdo 1 View Post

Poor guy.
                A man walks into a bar in Dublin and sees a guy, obviously drunk, with dozens of empty pint glasses around him. The man walks over to the drunk and asks what is wrong.

"Do you seen those ten bridges out that window? I built those bridges with me own two hands. But do they call me McGinty the bridge builder? Ahh, No."

He takes a sip of beer and continues: "And do you see those ships in the harbor? I built those ten ships with me own two hands. But do they call me McGinty the ship builder? Ahh, NO"

"But ya fuck ONE goat…."

Comment

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women.

Comment

Originally posted by ort View Post
                    +

Comment

John Cornyn saw this coming.
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF INDEPENDENT MUSIC
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF YOUR 2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!!!
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF WACHA WACHA WACHA
                      OFFICIAL LOUNGE SPONSOR OF PICKS AND PROSPECTS FOR THE OAKLAND ATHLETICS

Comment

This penguin takes his car to the mechanic to get some work done. The mechanic tells him it will be about an hour before the car is ready, but there's an ice cream shop across the street. The penguin says, "Great! I love ice cream!"

So the penguin goes across the street and gets a bowl of ice cream, but since he doesn't have hands, he has to bury his face in the bowl and slurp up the ice cream. When he's done, he heads back to the mechanic and asks, "What's up with the car?"

The mechanic says, "It looks like you blew a seal."

The penguin says, "Nahh, that's just a little ice cream."

Comment

It was the penguin's night in the barrell?
                          Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.

We will have to repent in this generation not merely for the hateful words and actions of the bad people but for the appalling silence of the good people.

Comment

Originally posted by kconn View Post
                            This penguin takes his car to the mechanic to get some work done. The mechanic tells him it will be about an hour before the car is ready, but there's an ice cream shop across the street. The penguin says, "Great! I love ice cream!"

So the penguin goes across the street and gets a bowl of ice cream, but since he doesn't have hands, he has to bury his face in the bowl and slurp up the ice cream. When he's done, he heads back to the mechanic and asks, "What's up with the car?"

The mechanic says, "It looks like you blew a seal."

The penguin says, "Nahh, that's just a little ice cream."
                            That is great.

Comment

Working...
                            X