Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So someone in my family owns a bar now

This could be dangerous.

My brother-in-law took me, the wife, and my dad yesterday to show us a 'suprise' while my stepmom was at some chick-flick to celebrate Mother's Day. Turns out, he quit his job a week ago (there for 11 years, miserable for 10 and 1/2), and with his brother bought a bar in downtown Naperville. Gonna have 10 taps - 1 root beer, and 9 craft beers. No macro-brews (other than bottles). Gourmet burgers. Good apps. The guy they bought it from was profitable there, even though he didn't run it well. While we were there checking out the finishing touches on the construction, there was already a lot of foot traffic. They're w/in a block of the Riverwalk, and on the same street as a Pottery Barn and a Williams & Sonoma, so they should fit right in. If anyone happens to be in Naperville starting Memorial Day weekend, the place is called The Grumpy Bulldog, and they're on Jefferson.

It's a damn good thing they're about an hours drive away, or I'd have a new money sink.
    Official sponsor of: Pepsi Zero Sugar and Jordan Almonds.

That sounds cool, good luck to him. Takes balls to go out and do it on your own, hope it works out for him. (I wish I could pull the trigger on something like that)
    Be passionate about what you believe in, or why bother.

Comment

Originally posted by madyaks View Post
      That sounds cool, good luck to him. Takes balls to go out and do it on your own, hope it works out for him. (I wish I could pull the trigger on something like that)
      Yea. We're all concerned about that, of course, but the amount of foot traffic we saw yesterday on what was a pretty crappy day makes me feel good about their chances. Even before opening, they're already getting calls from companies in the area trying to book office meetings and whatnot there - although they plan to wait a few months and see what the traffic is like, when regulars come in, etc, before committing to renting the whole place out and turning people away for an hour or three.

All I know is I'd kill for a place like this near where I live - something with GOOD beers on tap and burgers that weren't frozen.

Comment

Your brother-in-law is Joker?

Comment

That area (Riverwalk) in Naperville is nice.. your bro in law should do fine.

good luck.. u get free beers on sundays for sure

Comment

They didn't buy Nashville North did they?
            TP sponsor of Everton FC, Colorado Rapids, #5 Barrett Jackman, #2 Luke Schenn, #85 Greg Jennings, #25 Jim Thome, #19 Carl Gettis, #16 Greg Biffle, #31 Mark Hamilton, and the Wisconsin Badgers

Comment

I gots some relatives in Naperville.. you'll have to let me know the name so we can drop by when we visit this summer.

Official Lounge sponsor of Chris Pronger & Alex Pietrangelo

Comment

I used to live in Naperville. The Riverwalk area is great.
                Official Lounge Sponsor of:
                MIGOTS!, TJ Oshie, David Freese, Sponsoring Softball Players, Trout, Bon Jovi, Cold, hard facts, rigidly defined with mathematical precision, The abortion boat, which traveled to Poland in 2003 and Ireland in 2001.

Former Lounge Sponsor of:
                The Hebrew Hammer, BBZ, Foods that start with the letter 'Q', Paul 'Visor' Mitchell, FBBHOFer Brett "William" Wallace, BBFHOF, THE LALPHABET: A B C D E F G H I J K L M N I Z M N O P Q R S T U V Z T U V X Y X Z, The Return of MarkD.

Comment

Just had lunch in Naper the other day. I'm not there a lot, but I know a ton of people there and I'll have beers there every couple months or so. I should be able to get him some word of mouth bidness though.

I'm trying to think of which place he bought? Would it be what used to that Irish bar? Can't think of the name.
                  Of course you do.

Comment

Quigley's is the bar that I'm thinking of. Did he buy that one? Haven't been by there for a while so for all I know Quigley's is still up and running.
                    Of course you do.

Comment

No - it was something like Red Dog Tavern, or close to it. I know it started with 'Red' - they still had the old sign inside.

It's on Jefferson right next to a Williams Sonoma. There's a Pottery Barn on that block, some restaraunt across the way.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownBluesFan View Post
                        No - it was something like Red Dog Tavern, or close to it. I know it started with 'Red' - they still had the old sign inside.

It's on Jefferson right next to a Williams Sonoma. There's a Pottery Barn on that block, some restaraunt across the way.
                        Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday. We're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.

Comment

The old place was called Red Star Tavern. 7 W. Jackson, Naperville.

Comment

Originally posted by backstop View Post
                            Well, um, actually a pretty nice little Saturday. We're going to go to Home Depot. Yeah, buy some wallpaper, maybe get some flooring, stuff like that. Maybe Bed, Bath, & Beyond, I don't know, I don't know if we'll have enough time.
                            Honey, you think KFC is still open?

Moon

Comment

Any cougars in this part of town lately?

-RBB

Comment

Working...
                              X